• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to export pages as JPEGs from Book Module in LR4

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new LR4 Book module, is it possible to also provide a jpg/tiff option instead of just pdf? Quite a few book printing companies do not accept pdfs, and we will have to us their inhouse software.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012
This feature is in Lightroom 4.1 which was officially released today. Choose Help>Check for Updates... to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I now use Preview on the Mac (or PSCS5) to get tiffs or jpegs which is a rediculous runaround

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree... a JPEG export as in the Print Module would be a very useful option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpgs, jpg2ks or pngs too. Good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the reason for existence of the Book module IMO is that I finally can get rid of printing agency proprietary software.
Their usual business model forced you to decide for one of them before you were designing your book, and afterwards you are hooked to them unless you want to redo the design again in the software of a competitor.
Give us real freedom to select the printer with the best offer at the given time !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following is copied from a thread on the LR4 beta forum I made concerning the issue and sums up my thoughts on the issue:

As I indicated earlier, I can't discount the reasoning for preferring PDF over jpeg when it comes to rendering text ... I would very much prefer to hand off a single multi-page file rather than dozens of individual jpegs ... however ... Most of the wedding and portrait photographers I am acquainted with use extremely small amounts of text in their books/albums ... if they use text at all ...

In 2011, I created nearly 200 books ... I don't think any of them had more than a dozen words used in each ... mostly titles, dates and info on the cover ... so rendering text, for many users is really a secondary issue. It's primarily about the images ...

Being forced to convert an exported PDF to jpeg adding another step to the workflow seems extremely redundent ... and the resulting jpegs would be at the whim of the chosen converter ... It would seem to me that this step can be done ... and done well ... right within LR ...

I support the issue of convincing book printers that PDF files are in the best interest for all concerned ... but that isn't going to occur overnight ... it would be quite convenient, and reasonable to have the option of a jpeg output in the interim ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in Holland we call it "cursing in church" but as far as I'm concerned the Book module in Aperture covers just about every wish in this topic, including my own.
For a long time I had been leaving Lightroom (or Capture One) and importing into Aperture for the simple creation of books. As it's not my main activity I have no need for dedicated publishing programs and Aperture amply fulfilled my needs.
I had hoped to be able to keep my workflow in Lightroom with version 4 but so far it hasn't provided the necessary flexibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow us to export the book module pages in JPG! Making users convert the PDF output into JPG adds an extra step. This will make it LESS compelling for LR3 users upgrade to LR4 and will drive your users to other programs such as fotofusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually using fotofusion, but their mac version isn't really ready and if LR4's book option does jpg, i may just abandon it totally

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really like to be able to export book designs as full spreads in JPG format. I use a photographic lab to print my book spreads and they wont accept PDFs to print. books is a really great feature but I won't be able to use it if I am stuck with PDFs. This seems like such a simple and obvious option I am kinda shocked it is not already built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing from the exported PDF files or the quality of those is not an issue ...

Traditional book/album printers accepting PDF files is a huge problem ...

Many pro labs that print photo books and wedding albums only accept .jpeg files for the individual pages/spreads ... mainly due to the fact they are photo labs that utilize flush-mount process of standard photo prints and not off-set printing ... even the labs that also offer off-set printing like to do so from submitted jpeg files because their online ordering systems (Usually ROES) can not accept PDF files.

This is why we need the ability to export jpeg directly from the Lr Book Module and not have to jump through additional hoops to complete the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Book Module is awesome! It would be even better if we could output to JPEG. This way we aren't restricted to Blurb if we want to do a traditional album on photographic paper. My lab can't print from PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think this is a major stumbling block. I don't want to have to convert from PDF when I should just be able to export in the format I really need JPG or even layered PSD with each image on it's own layer. I use very little text. Maybe 5 words in a 50 page wedding book. So the quality of font really isn't a concern over workflow and image & page layout.

I'd also like to be able to set any aspect ratio for the pages and/or be able to design a book in spread view instead of page by page (2 page = 1 spread). I'd also like to be able to show bleed trim guides or a mask to help with precise layout for full bleed spreads. Now that would be something I'd get really excited about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the book module in Aperture.
It has all the features you are looking for, including the ability to make a custom basic book and while using the basic layout adapt in many ways.
Changing aspect ratios and sizes of image boxes and having alignment guides for exact placement of custom text boxes and image boxes is also a big help.
I have no doubt that Adobe has the ability to meet all sensible wishes/requirements and maybe surprise us with more.
It's now just a question of waiting

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of folks wanting to export jpegs from the book module in Lightroom 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need jpeg out put, or this book feature is really useless. All pro's have there own favorite Album company, and that is not likely to change. This is a great opportunity for Adobe to step up and help working Pro's who continue to buy and use Lightroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg output from book module very much needed!! Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This module is totally blurb driven I think it’s also part of the reason why the cost of LR4 has been reduced is because blurb have heavily invested in making closing out the market. Smart for blurb but annoying for users. I just want full spread jpgs! please!
Adobe – This is the module I was so excited about because it’s the missing link to a seriously streamlined digital workflow I would happily pay an extra $100 or even $200 if the book module was more flexible.
Here’s an idea – what about LAB profiles??? Labs around the world make their own profiles for us consumers to download and install into LR4 that way we can retain the relationships we have with our suppliers
Labs around the world can invest in participating so it means more money for Adobe and happy consumers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumb thing to say about Blurb.

Suppliers could make their own templates, and you could too, once the documentation is out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats so dumb about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fact: about 90% of the book publishers in the business insist on a series of jpegs, rather than a pdf. Stupid on their part, I know, but the fact remains that if you want to publish a book anyplace but Blurb or Lulu, you better be prepared to send 'em a series of jpegs, rather than a pdf.

So I am deeply disappointed that requests to add that option to LR4's book module have not made it into the release today of LR4. Please, please, please add this to the next version of LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I will upgrade to LR4 until they include this feature of exporting your book as a JPG. Wihtout being able to export as a JPG, this book module is pretty useless since I don't want to use Blurb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Love the book feature of Lightroom 4, with two exceptions. I wish jpg was an option as well as exporting to a pdf, and I would LOVE a 9 photo layout, three rows of three squares. Julieanne Kost even shows a work around for this layout on one of her turorials. This seems like a popular layout, why not just include it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The book module is a really dissed feature until it gets jpeg/ png/ dng/ psd (in fact all LR4 supported fromats) -export option.

PDF-only out option is actually really stupid as jpeg is standard to all book printing companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set up the book module in Lightroom 4 to export full layouts to jpg. It is an excellent feature, but useless when I want to proof the book by my clients... which I can't order without their approval.

Votes

Translate

Translate