• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've assumed that smart collection are supported and searched for the check mark to enable the sync. It took me a while to find out that this only works with normal collections. Who is using them anyway? I never did...

I've now maintained a few synced collections, but maintaining them is just too much work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this topic, and that it had so many like minded people. I tried LR Mobile, but the workflow is just plain cumbersome for how I want to use the product. Ideally I want to be able to have full access to my LR catalog on my iPad. My typical use cases would be to go through and add/remove stars, mark photos for deleted, and add some commonly used keywords.

Smart collections are one way to make this workflow a bit easier, but overall there needs to be more caching happening so that the interface is a lot faster. If decide to scroll in the grid to a photo from august 2013, then start caching the photos around it since I will likely want to look at photos around it.

I've uninstalled LR Mobile for now, but I certainly will take a look again when the product matures. (No disrespect intended)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see if synching all files (I have about 70K RAW files) the smart previews could quickly use up the space on the iPad... and unlike android devices you can't add storage.

Maybe we could atleast synch large thumbnails or lighter previews to the iPad... that way you can flag or rate if not fully edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about you but my whole library is far too large for a mobile device.

As for a pop-up warning, I agree with a previous comment that it would be exceptionally annoying, but if it can be turned off that's a reasonable compromise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't understand what could be taking so long to implement smart collections. With a large base of users begging for this feature for over 6 months, I would have thought Adobe would pull the trigger on it by now. This feature is so fundamental that I consider lightroom mobile to be useless, meaning that I also believe I've been wasting at least part of my monthly payments to Adobe. When oh when will this be fixed?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know of a 4TB Ipad. Let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are alternatives to actually synching the entire smart collect if the collection is really large... as long as you are on Wifi you could cache small thumbs for the grid view and pull down larger versions for loupe view or editing. There are usually creative ways to handle things we just have to take things less literally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all of the commenters. Difficult to come up with a useful workflow without smart collection support. Alternatively, a publish service (which can be based on a smart collection, but only updates when published from the desktop) could be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disappointed that this feature wasn't added to 5.7. Perhaps we'll have to wait for another 9 months to see....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^ totally agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's enough with 'most recent undo'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a great help to sync smart collections to LR mobile. If there's a batch of images I want to edit later, I can just punch in the criteria, let it sync over the cloud, and edit the images while waiting in the doctors office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr user since first beta, i just discover Lr mobile, and first surprise (and disappointment) is that i can't syncronize a smart collection... Most recent undo would be enough, i agree. Thanks for the great work. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to chime in with most of the other posters just how necessary it is to me to have smart collections from my MBP sync up to the cloud and thus to my iPad. I really love to view the images on the iPad, but prefer to store and import them into the laptop. Though ideally if I could import photos directly from my camera into either LR on the laptop or the iPad and have them become accessible on all those devices immediately I'd be so thrilled. C'mon Adobe, Light Room is a great product, I love it, but keep improving it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count my vote for syncing smart collections!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count me in here as well - I'd love to only sync starred photos to my ipad to cut down on the volume of photos kept on there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just added a feature to my Collection Agent plugin which maintains regular collections alongside smart collections which have the same contents but aren't smart. You should be able to Lr-mobile-sync those instead..

Let me know if it helps, or doesn't.. - free:

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAn...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea. I will try this tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know if there are problems with it or you have suggestions for it.., and let us know if it works well-enough as is.. - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been trying, and I'm afraid I don't understand how it should work. I suspect it's me, but I can only get it to create another set of smart collections.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, please contact me "directly" (outside the forum) if you have problems with any of my plugins:

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ContactMe

Anyway, you must not have used the correct function, which should have been:

'Make Dumb Copy of Smart Collections'

I don't see how that function could possibly have created any more smart collections - just regular collections with same contents as their smart counterpart.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a lot of good feedback for the new feature in CollectionAgent (Maintain Dumb Copies of Smart Collections) which helps with this Lr shortcoming. The latest version supports automatic updating, so dumb collection tracks smart collection without any action on users part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works great! Thanks for making it. At least now I don't have to abandon my smart collection based workflow with Mobile Lightroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott! - that's good to hear..

I recently automated it (dumb collections auto-updated when smart collections change), so consider downloading the latest version. If you have any other ideas for improvement, do tell.. (preferably by contacting me outside the forum: http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ContactMe).

Thanks again,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate