• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow Catalog to be stored on a networked drive.

Explorer ,
May 01, 2011 May 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to make LR more multi-computer friendly. I have no doubt that there's probably database architecture issues and a host of other barriers... But I have to believe that the need for either multi-user or at at lease multi-computer use is widely desired. And yes, I know you can do the catalog import export thing but I find this less than ideal.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 569 Replies 569
569 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the fastest way now to incorporate such feature into LR is to split your workflow into DAM + RAW Editing, and continue using LR for batch RAW adjustments and select a pure DAM solution for multi-user access.

Most of DAM solutions are targeted to enterprize level and toooo expensive for small groups or single photographers. But a few titles can be considered as candidates for including into your workflow:

- Apple FinalCut Server
- Canto Cumulus (mature and solid product, but a bit higher priced)
- Daminion Server (relatively new product)

The first product was discontinued by Apple, but probably it is possible to buy it on ebay. It is focused on videos but can be also used for images as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I'm on a traditional license and also the features that I would find most useful are keywords and map tagging (the ratings and flags would be a step in the right direction).

What is the latency like in this model? Do all photos have to be preuploaded or do they get downloaded on demand from the PC when required (I have way to many photos to make preupload, TB's, even the catalog and standard preview renders are in the 100 GB order).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe would just say if it's in their plans one way or another to allow a networked catalog/database with multi-user support. I've been trying to find a solution to this issue for years and I hate to use separate software to access the photos and color-correct them. I suppose I could set up one computer to run Lightroom and let each other computer access it via remote one-at-a-time. It seems cumbersome and it doesn't make sense why Adobe wouldn't add this feature, considering I would purchase more Lightroom licenses. As of now, only 1 PC can access the catalog in a usable fashion, so that means only 1 Lightroom license makes sense. Upgrade this software to multi-user and I'll order additional licenses/seats! And if you're not going to help out your loyal users (of many years!), please, throw a dog a bone. Give us a suggestion that works well or at least give us your thoughts on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak for Adobe, but considering they've recently added Develop adjustments in a web browser using http://lightroom.adobe.com, it would be a reasonable guess that future multi-user solutions would involve cloud sync rather than local network sharing. On the other hand, that's a really positive step in the direction of multi-user use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's reasonable to require my entire repository of images to go to the cloud. Pushing hundreds to low thousands of high rez images to the cloud, just a single shoots worth, will take a long time. Fiber speeds to the backbone don't come cheap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with both David and Howards sentiments here.

I think uploading to the cloud is just going to be to slow (latency + transfer time) for at least the foreseeable future (10+ years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not going to be able to upload picts to cloud, but the database and references could be in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this is not a technical problem, it is a management problem. If they wanted to change the DB they could, it is not that hard. In fact, I think they could go to a pointer model where all the picture data is kept in a file next to the picture with an index in every directory. It could work much like a source control system with individual file locks.

This would work much better than keeping everything in a SQL lite db.

The problem here is that Lightroom is built on a decade old technology. They've spent money improving the features, but nothing to improve the architectural structure of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the LIghtroom catalog system towards a model that allows multiple people to access a catalog and images on a network attached storage device. Gigabit wired access makes data transfer reasonable and a shared storage system makes more sense for multiple people working on the same photo set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColinB, this is what we have been asking for for years. Adobe has consistently ignored our requests. This is why I haven't upgraded any Adobe software for over two years. If they ever decide to provide the features users are requesting, I'll be happy to purchase upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can Daminon access the LR-Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ... I have a little batch script that I use to allow two PCs to use the same catalog (but not at the same time obviously). The images are on one PC (but they could be on a network drive). It's important that the location of the folders is specified as a network location (in the Lightroom catalog), so that either PC can access the images without having to remap the folder locations.

Here is the script I use:

net use \\remote-pc "password" /user:username /persistent:no
IF EXIST "\\remote-pc\Lightroom Catalogs\*.lock" (
echo Lightroom running in remote-pc
pause
exit
)
xcopy "\\remote-pc\Lightroom Catalogs\*.lrcat" "this-pc\Lightroom Catalogs\" /Y /D
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe"
xcopy "this-pc\Lightroom Catalogs\*.lrcat" "\\remote-pc\lightroom\Lightroom Catalogs\" /Y /D
exit

The same script should be used on the other PC.

I know that this is just a workaround, but it does make it quite easy for two (or more) PCs to use the same catalog and access the same images without having to carry external drives from PC to PC ... or whatever.

We use a gigabit ethernet and the performance is excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernhard Weichel:
"how can Daminon access the LR-Catalog. "

Daminion can't access directly to LR-Catalog. But both programs can manage the same photo archive and exchange data via XMP.

LR's hierarchical keywords and other metadata are visible in Daminion, and visa verse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine I'm the first person to think of this, but I would love to be able to check a sync box next to collections (and hopefully smart collections and FOLDERS) on my main desktop computer and have them sync OTA to a second computer.. I'm often on the go and currently export/import satellite catalogs for active or current work. I'd love to just be able to check a few boxes and go to bed knowing that tomorrow what I need will be on my secondary computer waiting for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FINALLY figured out how to store a catalog on a network drive on Windows (I'm using Windows 10)!
You need the following software: http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html

Here are the steps:
  1. Create a drive letter mapping to the network share. This is necessary to make the share visible to the Visual Subst software.
  2. Download and extract Visual-Subst (http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html)
  3. Run Visual Subst and click on the magnifying glass on the bottom right. Browse to the network mapped folder (or a folder above it) that you want to store your catalog in.
  4. Select a drive letter to associate with the folder and click the "PLUS" button. 
  5. The drive will show up in Visual Subst and is now accessible as a catalog storage location in Lightroom. In Lightroom you simply select a folder on the drive that is mapped using Visual Subst. 
ENJOY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"how to store a catalog on a network drive on Windows (I'm using Windows 10)" 

For others who might read this, here's a summary of the last five years of discussion in this thread:

Beware that there is a large amount of uncertainty about the reliability of Windows and Mac workarounds for placing catalogs on network drives. An Adobe engineer did cursory testing more than six years ago and found, at least in one configuration, that catalogs could get corrupted.  Since then, no one has reported any kind of extensive testing that would provide assurance about network catalogs.

The underlying database technology used by LR, SQLite, was not designed to run with database files located on network drives, and the SQLite developers have explained why many network-storage services are not suitable for SQLite.  However, some network-storage services are likely suitable, but no one has reported the testing needed to establish any confidence. 

The testing required to establish reasonable confidence is more than a few people running with network catalogs for a while in a few configurations. The technical problems would be expected to arise only in unusual circumstances on only some kinds of storage servers, e.g. when the network connection to the network storage fails, the server is very overloaded, etc., and even then, the failures could be infrequent.

So if you decide to use one of the Mac or Windows workarounds, make sure you have reliable (tested) backups!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom Catalog is used as a newsroom photo system here. You need to make it a network catalog a.s.a.p. ! This has been asked 5 years ago and is long overdue!
(Adobe should create a newsroom system and realtime graphics machine. Hurry, there is much money to make and many graphists to please)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should create a newsroom system. Network LightRoom should be part of it. We desperately need net work LR. Now we constantly have to synchronize catalogs manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just hired someone to man my picture desk and bumping into the problem having  more than one person working with a catalogue at a time... cant quit believe that this has not been resolved.  What are Adobe doing ?  All photographers cat all be one man bands, can they??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe could strike hard with a Newsroom system: think of it, video editing, subtitling, photography, archiving with metadata and keywords and realtime graphics. Amazing that they haven't conquered that terrain yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add - please do not consider the shared catalog concept over the internet, cloud sync, or anything like that.  It must be LAN local area network.

The internet might be ok if you're working at home or in your office, and you live/work in an area where there is reliable, fast broadband.  

When travelling - in hotels or guest houses or cruise ship - it's just not feasible to even remotely assume that a suitably fast and reliable internet connection will be available.  And don't forget there is the rest of the world might not have the coverage of broadband we're used to in our homes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to get on your second catalog (on my macbook in my case) a collection named Mobile Sync where i can find all my synced files like on my iPad. There are certain things i would like to change that are not possible on the web app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photographic studio with 3 positions for the postproduction. I have two subscriptions to the plane Photography Creative Cloud for several years and I find it absurd that I can not work with Lightroom catalogs on the net with my nas. I honestly imagined the Lightroom software as a professional solution for managing the many photo shoots but the limit of having to use only one computer discourages me from using it. Why until now I have been using alternative solutions for my workflow with my Mac. I hope that Adobe added the ability to work with catalogs in the local network as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update Lightbox to allow for catalogs to work on Dropbox and other cloud type storage. Unplugging and plugging in a hard drive is not only asinine but completely outdated. Hard drives are not reliable and are on their way out the door. Carrying a hard drive around with you where ever you go is just asking for disaster. I honestly can't even believe it's not already available, I find it hard to believe my iOS apps & games are more advanced than Lightbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened and managed when stored on NAS. I really wish Adobe would allow the use of Network Assigned Storage as on option.

Votes

Translate

Translate