P: Allow use of Drive Letters A: and B:

24 Votes
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the import dialogue in Lightroom 3 on Windows the drive letters A: and B: does not show up. I have A: assigned to an HDD and B: assigned to an SSD where I like to save my DNG files. (It was a VERY long time ago since those drive letters were reserved for floppy drives).

My suggestion is to make all drive letters assigned to an attached storage device visible as a destination in the import dialogue.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022
[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.] Agreed, Adobe should have fixed this back in LR 1.  As a workaround, click the To dropdown in the upper-right corner of the Import window, then Other Destination, and navigate to the parent folder on A: where you want imports to go:

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014
In another thread, ron@ronwhite.com showed how to import from A and B drives quickly with no additional effort. In the Import window, click on Select A Source and then choose Other Source: Then select the A or B drive and choose Select Folder: In subsequent imports, the A or B drive will appear under Recent for even faster access: (Of course, it would be better if LR just showed the drives in the left-hand column, but at this point, three years later, I'm skeptical that Ado...

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread, ron@ronwhite.com showed how to import from A and B drives quickly with no additional effort.

In the Import window, click on Select A Source and then choose Other Source:

Then select the A or B drive and choose Select Folder:

In subsequent imports, the A or B drive will appear under Recent for even faster access:

(Of course, it would be better if LR just showed the drives in the left-hand column, but at this point, three years later, I'm skeptical that Adobe will ever take the time to fix this.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that we're running out of letters for drives. I like to keep frequently accessed files on A: and B: because they show up at the beginning of drive listings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does Lightroom not import photos from my B: drive (a hard drive where most of my pictures are saved)? It has no problem finding and importing photos on on 7 other drives, memory cards and flash drives, but it won't even let me take it by the hand and show where the photos are on my B: drive. This is my maiden import, and it's really irritating. Does it think B: drives disappeared with the floppies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post for workarounds using network drives and mount points:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/6801...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2014 Oct 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very simple. The list of potential source should be user-definabile. There isn't a single developer inside Adobe that could guess what users throw at it. Just put the user in power and let her define what could possibly be a source for images

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All other drive letters will be OK, but if you use drive letters A: or B: for local hard drive partitions, they will not be shown in some places in LR6 (e.g. import dialog or folder pane on the left).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post above for how to import from A and B: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not trying to import FROM A: or B: we are trying to Import TO hard drives A: or B:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem has been Importing TO hard drives assigned to A: or B: you simply can't do it, although the catalog can exist on these drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightroom 6.2.1 has a completely new Import screen and A: and B: are now available as drives to Import TO.. this means the catalog can exist and the photos in the catalog can exist on either A: or B: I have tested this and so far I can find no issues at all importing TO A: or B: or using a catalog with photos stored on A: or B:

Also for those of you who were wanting to import FROM A: or B: this is also possible, however there are minor bugs. As you can see, A: and B: show up as drives in the Drives selection box of the Import screen

But a minor bug here is that on the next screen, it shows that all subfolders are selected, and NO FILES are found, but that is not true...

If you select the subfolder you want, THERE THEY ARE! also re-selecting All subfolders shows the files. When I tried an import from drive L: it defaulted to NO subfolders, and so I had to select all subfolders to see my photos.

Also note that A: and B: do NOT show up under My Computer on the left, however if you push the browse button below that, you can see them and select them and they seem to work just fine... It would be nice if A: and B: were in the list as there is no reason not to show them.

But This all makes me VERY happy, because even though there are these few bugs, at least the basic functionality is there and it's easy to work around these few things.

It's SO nice when the customers are heard!

THANK YOU ADOBE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some in this topic are asking about the import destination, and some are asking about the import source (Foto VI, McNamara, Ron White). The issue occurs in multiple places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just announced that they will "will restore the previous import experience. We are still working on details and timing." (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...) If they restore the old implementation, then this bug could very well resurface, unfortunately. Let's hope for the best of both worlds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nooooooooooooooooooo I like the new one much better!!! I'm afraid you are right, if they restore the previous import method, there's a 99% chance they will just revert to the old code... it's quick and easy. If people are complaining about the new import, why not just make it an option under preferences?? then everyone is happy... after all they went through all the trouble of making the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we suspected, this problem has resurfaced in LR CC 2015.3 / 6.3, which reverted to the old import screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amused by the multitude of posts of people who have the same problem. I'm certain all the things I want to complaining about on this issue have already been said so I'll just add my 2 cents and vote that Adobe recognize this idiotic limitation and remove it. 

I will say A and B have never been reserved by Windows. It's just that they were often used by people as a legacy thing as we had FDDs before HDDs. In Windows 3.1 I had my OS HDD "A" and my 3.5" floppy "B". Windows was happy with it but many of my software vendor's programmers were idiots and assumed they would be installing and working on the C drive. 

Also it's quite simple to detect what kind of drive it is. I mean what if I had a floppy drive on Z?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, is it possible that we face the issue after so many years? Yes, it is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added my vote, I find it utterly stupid that Adobe can't just add this, why even filter the drives out? If a drive is mounted, show it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that Adobe will never change this while Microsoft continue to 'Hard-wire' the A & B drives as 'protected' drives in the Windows operating system.
Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.4.1 Photoshop 23.4.1, ACR 14.4.2, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.2, Windows-10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been possible to assign A and B to any drive since at least Windows XP.  Nothing in the Windows API prevents LR from determining if there's a drive assigned to A and B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This was very helpful! I store all my images on a G-Technology RAID system with the Drive Letter A (First one suggested when I installed it).  The A Drive and all images show up in my library, but I could not import FROM or TO the A Drive. The explanation above did work for me.  I don't like it but at least it works.
Lightroom needs to be able to import FROM and TO any drive elther that the user selects!!!   Please fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:  It's 2017, and this still hasn't been fixed.  (Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC, 2015.12)

I just added a couple of massive (by today's standards) 8TB drives and assigned them A:\ and B:\ for all my glorious photo-storing and editing needs.  Alas, Lightroom is still broken as far as this goes.

NOBODY USES FLOPPY DRIVES ANY MORE.

FEW PEOPLE EVEN USE CDS OR DVDS ANY MORE.

UPDATE THE DRIVE LIST ON IMPORT FUNCTIONALITY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 'Left of centre field' HDD set up.
Adobe Lightroom doesn't recognize (A:), I'll also assume (B:), for import. Could this be adjusted since we are no longer booting from 3.5" floppy disks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this is a limitation imposed by Adobe, but rather a limitation imposed by the Windows operating system. Whether or not it can be overridden with the  "assign" command is something you might consider exploring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows has allowed drive letters A and B to be assigned to arbitrary disks since at least Windows XP.  LR Classic can easily import from A & B -- see my previous post. It's just a silly bug that LR Classic doesn't list A & B in the Import window's Source column.

The ill-fated redesign of the Import window in LR 6.2.1 fixed this bug, but when Adobe backed out of the fiasco in LR 6.3, the bug came back :-<

In LR Desktop (Cloud), you can easily do Add Photos for pics residing on A and B.

Votes

Translate

Translate