• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow use of Drive Letters A: and B:

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the import dialogue in Lightroom 3 on Windows the drive letters A: and B: does not show up. I have A: assigned to an HDD and B: assigned to an SSD where I like to save my DNG files. (It was a VERY long time ago since those drive letters were reserved for floppy drives).

My suggestion is to make all drive letters assigned to an attached storage device visible as a destination in the import dialogue.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Agreed, Adobe should have fixed this back in LR 1. 

As a workaround, click the To dropdown in the upper-right corner of the Import window, then Other Destination, and navigate to the parent folder on A: where you want imports to go:

johnrellis_0-1651004552186.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014
In another thread, ron@ronwhite.com showed how to import from A and B drives quickly with no additional effort.

In the Import window, click on Select A Source and then choose Other Source:

Then select the A or B drive and choose Select Folder:

In subsequent imports, the A or B drive will appear under Recent for even faster access:

(Of course, it would be better if LR just showed the drives in the left-hand column, but at this point, three years later, I'm skeptical that Adobe will e...

Votes

Translate

Translate
93 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you want to use the A and B drives as the destination of the import (it wasn't clear from your post), see this easy workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-display-a-b-drive-letters-i... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import to any drive, including A: or B: by using the right-hand area of the top Import panel's "Select Destination" arrow and selecting "Other Destination". Then input the drive you want to import to, including, probably, the destination folder. You have to do the latter here because there is no way to select a destination folder using this procedure. So make or name that folder in your operating system, and select it when you are setting up the Destination drive as above.

I Imported from my camera card and from my newly named A: drive to my B: drive.

After you do this keep a lookout for your destination drive to show up on these panels. My B: drive appeared in the Source column and then disappeared. So it's still flaky, but I've been able to use Import normally with Raw, JPG and DNG imports this way. Seems neater in results, and quicker than setting up a mount point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is completely insane that we still can't use the A and B designators. But thanks JohnRellis for the idea to add a mount point. That is a clean solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Light room does not allow importing from my memory cards onto either of my SSDs labeled A: and B:.

There are several discussions stating that this is due to legacy reasons (those drive letters being reserved for floppy drives) but that restriction is over two decades old. Stating that they won't bother to fix it is giving them a bad(worse) reputation that they only care about cloud customers. The effort to remove that restriction is minimal and would make the product more robust. Also, having customers relabel their drives just to fix their broken product is not a sufficient resolution either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that is an anomaly attributed to the Adobe software but rather one that is attributed to the operating system and is therefore not something that can be controlled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a bug in the Adobe software. This attributes are set in the operating system. This is not Adobe's responsibility.

You can try to bypass this with the SUBST command if needed. 

More info about SUBST you'll find here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUBST

But I'm not sure that all working fine if you use this. I'll not recommend this solution.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32- and 64-bit versions of Windows haven't reserved A: and B: for floppies for at least the past two decades (perhaps ever), though it would assign those letters by default if a floppy was present.  Win32 (starting with Windows 95) provides API calls for enumerating connected volumes and discovering their type. It's purely an Adobe programming error that LR assumes A and B are floppy drives (a programming error that was more common 15 years ago).

There used to be a Microsoft support article explaining this (linked above), but it's long gone, as are the threads in various forums discussing it -- I can find just one, from 2015.

The disastrous redesign of the Import window in LR 6.2.1 removed this programming error, and for a brief glorious moment in time, LR treated drives assigned A or B just like those assigned any other letter.

The File > Add Photos command of Lightroom Desktop (Cloudy) does it correctly:

johnrellis_5-1646932672370.png

Here's what Windows 10 shows for a USB drive assigned A:

johnrellis_0-1646931896818.png

johnrellis_1-1646931965804.png

johnrellis_3-1646932101550.png

johnrellis_4-1646932360163.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super frustrating, my main and only built in hard drive is drive A, all the other letters are for external drives, raid arrays and so on. I just want to import to my local drive A which is also where ~150000 files in my local catalog are stored. You would think that Lightroom could deduce that with that many images on the drive, it's not a floppy. Never mind which there are APIs to see what type of device it is. No excuses Adobe, floppy disks aren't even manufactured any more. This is in  LR Classic 11.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Agreed, Adobe should have fixed this back in LR 1. 

As a workaround, click the To dropdown in the upper-right corner of the Import window, then Other Destination, and navigate to the parent folder on A: where you want imports to go:

johnrellis_0-1651004552186.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Agreed, Adobe should have fixed this back in LR 1. "

In Lr 1.x - Windows XP was still a valid OS... it would have broken things big time...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In Lr 1.x - Windows XP was still a valid OS... it would have broken things big time..."

Windows XP. the successor to Windows NT, provided the Win32 API, which has always allowed apps to query device properties. That would have allowed LR 1 to identify which drives were unsuitable (e.g. floppies) without making assumptions about the drive letter.  (After all, you could have a floppy assigned to D:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a new hard disk(A:) to my laptop mainboard to increase storage and improve performance. However, the lightroom class cannot recognize the new disk nor the holders within it. How can I add this new disk?

WeChat Screenshot_20220510101009.png

Yi5C32_0-1652195440078.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old bug/feature, which probably has never been fixed and never will be fixed. Lightroom Classic will not any drive with letter A:, and so drive A: can't be used with Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post for how to import from an A or B drive:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-use-of-drive-letters-a-and-b/idi-p/12...

See this post for how to choose an A or B drive as the import destination:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-use-of-drive-letters-a-and-b/idc-p/12... 

I agree with dj_paige that Adobe will likely never fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please replace the second correct answer above:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-use-of-drive-letters-a-and-b/idc-p/12...

with this post, which is a much easier, more convenient solution for choosing an A or B drive as the Import destination:

Then the two correct answers will provide simple and easy solutions for using an A or B drive for both the Import source and Import destinations:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-use-of-drive-letters-a-and-b/idi-p/12...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I mounted a network share to drive letter B:\ (maybe not a good idea) -> However, within LR-Classic the drive was not shown as a possible target within the Import-Diaolog. The problem was fixed by assigning another drive letter above C:\ (e.g. O:\).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known problem with drive letters A: and B:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug present from LR 1 that Adobe will almost certainly never fix:

But there are easy ways to specify the A and B drives as the source and target in Import:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dj_paige and jonrellis. I didn't know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem z importem do Lightroom.

W przypadku pracy na dysku A (kiedyś to była dyskietka) - LRC nie widzi tego dysku w źródłach. Dopiero w wyborze WYBIERZ ŹRÓDŁO i poszukaniem tego dysku jest on dostępny. Dlaczego, skoro to normalny fizyczny dysk program go nie widzi? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could well be that letters A and B are still system-reserved as removable floppy disk drives.

It also is still the case that Windows first system disk is always C.

I suggest not to use A and B for any drive at all.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a longstanding bug from LR 1 -- the A and B drives have never been reserved for floppy drives in 32-bit Windows, but LR thinks they are.  See the correct answers at the top of this thread for easy workarounds:

And see this post for a technical discussion of Windows and the A and B drives:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, it's really simple.

I'd like to simply navigate to my B: Drive when looking to import files into lightroom.

I realise that it's just a legacy concept that A and B drive were portable (floppy) drives only, but times have moved on.

I used a high speed SSD labelled as B: drive for all sorts of tasks.

I can get there by "selecting a source" but it would be simpler if the B drive was listed along side all of my other drives.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate