• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Autosync/Multiple-Target indication

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see a more striking indication when multiple photos are being targeted by develop adjustments, vs. single photo. Its just too easy to leave auto-sync on inadvertently. As it stands, one has to keep peering down at the (auto)sync button to be sure...

Also, along with this, I'd suggest handling the auto-sync button in a manner consistent with all the other buttons. i.e. button label indicates what will happen when you click it.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
30 Comments
Mentor ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've repeatedly suggested changing the mouse cursor, possibly with a superscript or subscript to indicate the number of images that will be affected if that number is more than 1. I think this would also enable functionality not available now, such as multi-application on the grid in the second monitor and other times the main grid is not visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been bitten by inadvertedly leaving on "Auto-Sync". It would be good to have some visual feedback when one edits more than one image. Visual feedback is available through the filmstrip but I don't always have it active.

Alternatively, "Auto-Sync" could automatically turn itself off, after one changes the image selection. That would mean that sometimes one has to manually re-activate it but that seems justifiable, given the work reduction it provides.

The workflow (courtesy by Rob) would be:
1. select images.
2. turn on auto-sync if desired.
3. adjust images.
(rinse, and repeat...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe had made Auto Sync the default - and only - way of working, so that LR would simply assume that the user knows what they're doing when multiple items are selected. However, as things are, I coach people to leave it switched on all the time, and only drop out of it when needed, then switch it back on. The key is to use AutoSync all the time, or only use it by exception.

So although I approach from the opposite direction, I agree with Rob's request - I've probably asked for it a few times before. The bezel should include text such as "x items being updated"

I agree the Sync / AutoSync button is pretty ugly too. Just as IMHO smaller brighter text would help the LHS and RHS panels (@TK vertical space issues), so it would make space for three buttons at the bottom of each panel - in this case Sync, AutoSync, Reset.

A related problem here is language. "Auto Sync"? I suspect a lot of people ask "WTF is that?" and are frightened off making the mental leap from what they assume the Sync button must do. "Update all" would be more obvious, or make the button text also show the number of items selected.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2011 Apr 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good points, John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Auto Sync is a double-edged sword. It's great for making quick adjustments to a group of images with instant visual feedback but if you leave it on, you can really jack up a huge number of images. It would be great if LR would give a visual indication that Auto Sync was ON such as changing the highlight color (showing the selected group) in the film strip from gray to red. Or flashing the "Auto Sync" text on the button each time you make a change to the group.

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the "AutoSync" button name is a little cryptic. Maybe it could be a switch labelled "single | multiple", with the active option bright and the other option dimmed? Great idea for it to pulse or flash every time it applies changes across multiple images, acting as a little eye-catching reminder. RP

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea of letting the "AutoSync" button flash while changes are applied to images in a set. It would serve a double purpose:

a) as a crude "progress indicator" and, more importantly,
b) as a visual alert that one is currently affecting more than one image, which may or may not be intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I the only one who makes image changes, only to find out later, "select all" &
"auto-sync" was active. OMG, there is no simple undo all that. Yikes, 200 images
each one has to be undone in history. Or "reset all" and all your individual previous
work is erased. Selected images need to be in flashing RED NEON !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate Auto Sync. I used to use from time to time, but now I taught myself to not keep toggling it on on off, but use Sync instead. Forgetting it on can make a big mess.

Anyway, a long while ago I have proposed to make a Auto Sync indication really visible in this way:

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was bitten once again!! 100 images selected an image,made the changes....looking great!! noticed an earlier image (part of the 100 selected) that needed a different crop. clicked on it,made the correction.....Yikes all 100 were synced with wrong crop,,,,Please Help!!! so that does not happen...its to easy to forget to turn off once images are selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoSync can be wonderfully useful . . . BUT I have inadvertently left it on and unintentionally changed hundreds of images. It was a horrible amount of work to fix everything when I realized sometime later what had happened . . .

And I did this one other time, too, with similarly huge and disastrous results.

So, I heartily endorse the above suggestions that there be a confirmation or warning mechanism.

I suggest something like what you get in the Library Module's loupe mode when you apply some metadata change, such as a new caption, to multiple images in the filmstrip with the AutoSync button on.

A warning box pops up and asks "Apply the metadata change to all of the selected photos?"

And it also specifies in smaller type that "The metadata change will be applied to the [exact number] of selected images."

Then there's a "Cancel" button and an "Apply to Selected" button.

Just make a pop-up dialogue box like that for applying "develop setting changes" and I think you will have solved this pesky and sometimes disastrous problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A single "Undo" (Ctrl+Z, not History) can reverse a change that has been applied across multiple images, by AutoSync. It isn't necessary to find each one and roll back its History individually - so long as one realises what has happened straight away.

Perhaps that's the aspect we need to address - not to complicate this function, just to make its action more prominent and obvious. Perhaps, with a brief popup tip in the main image area: "applying change to [X] images". similar to the tip you get when you Undo. A visual change in the lower right corner button is a good idea, but might not be noticed for a while - not unless it is made very "loud".

Then if affecting multiple images was not what you wanted, after carrying out an adjustment, you can press Undo. Or if you were expecting that, then a confirmation tip won't be much of an extra distraction.

I don't think we should need to click something to accept a change made across multiple images. AutoSync, as I see it, is what we use (instead of Sync, or copy/paste) - specifically when we want to be able to edit multiple images just as easily and fluidly, as we would edit just one. As I mention elsewhere, I think the naming is a lilttle awkward - perhaps it should simply show the words "Single / Multiple (X)" - where X dynamically shows the number of images selected.

Between these two measures, I think we can cut down the practical problem appreciably, without spoiling the simplicity of the main idea.

RP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a dup suggestion somewhere in this system and my suggestion was to make the highlight color in the filmstrip a light red rather than the light gray used to show selected images. This means, any time you are in autosync mode (2+ images selected) you can't miss that you are about to do damage, good or bad.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this premise. When the issue arises (and I've had my fair share of it happening) you usually don't realize it until a few steps later.

Having to respond to a dialog for every change that is made would get annoying. Having the option to turn off the dialog gets you back in the same situation that needs to be fixed.

So a very obvious indication that you are about to auto-sync is the solution. Let's not degrade what is a very useful feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it's also possible for this accidental multiple copying to occur when the filmstrip is not activated and not showing.

Therefore any solution such as a red border on the filmstrip -- which of course depends on the filmstrip being open -- is not enough, even though I like that idea very much, and I personally almost always have the filmstrip showing.

So, I think that instead of -- or perhaps in addition to -- the red border, a pop-up confirmation box is the best solution.

You can't miss it.

And you then have to actively click either "cancel" or "apply to selected."

It's quick and virtually fool-proof! And yes, for people who don't want it, you can have an option to not show the warning box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be pretty sure that they will never make it a popup dialog given the rest of the architecture, but I did notice that when Autosync is enabled and you make a slider adjustment, it does flash white. Making a code change from white to bright red would be a HUGE step in the right direction.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are existing UI elements like the rating change bezels which could be used. The key would be balancing the need to force these warnings to the user's attention without becoming such an annoyance that they get switched off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true. They could flash Autosync over the bottom-center of the image just like they do when you star rate an image. I'd say we could use all three: flash the autosync button text red, make the filmstrip highlight color red and overlay AUTOSYNC on the image with the rouded border around the text (same as star rating/labels). This all doesn't sound too programmatically far-fetched.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing is, would one want the warning after every adjustment? It probably needs to be limited to every x adjustments or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've been advocating all along, just change the cursor while multiple images are selected, possibly with a superscript or subscript showing the number of images that will be affected if that number is more than 1. Very visible, no annoying popups to dismiss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like Lee Jay's suggestion of a cursor with a subscript or superscript number!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee Jay's concept would fit the bill - maybe even something like: 1+245

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it would work too. The same point applies about being obvious without annoying people so much they just switch it off or tune it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the only time this ever happens is when I have more then one image selected,(what auto sync does best) after making changes on my "working image" (the image that is highlighted), I see or realize that a different image needs a different crop,change or fix of something. So without deselecting the entire group. I highlight a second image.....that is where I run into problems, forgetting that I still am in auto sync. So perhaps if a second image is highlighted while still in auto sync,there could be a conformation pop up window. "Do you want to make changes to xx the previous images that are still selected?" There are times I do highlight a second image and do want those changes for all that are selected.But not very often. I have also thought of some kind of a running history that shows the or lists the changes that are being made, as you make them. And until you actually exit out of auto sync you could go back and highlight a change(s). then add to it or to delete the change. then when you exit those changes would be saved as normal.

While I am at it....Keeping in the LR thinking of non destruct ....Some how those saved changes could be kept with the " working image" with a note to as to which images that were affected with those changes. could all be opened again like as in a collection of sorts? make additional changes to all if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like Lee Jay's idea of adding a subscript or superscript to the cursor showing the number of images selected while in the AutoSync mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate