• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color collections and collection sets to simplify navigation & cataloging

Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Update: Color labels for folders were added in LR 7.4 --John Ellis]

I find it difficult to navigate folders and collections in the LH panel. To some extent this is because I (unwisely) chose to use similar naming conventions.If it were possible to allow users to "Colour code" folders and collections it would make navigation much easier and also give me another way of "cataloging" photos.My suggestion would be a small colour indicator, rather like the online/offline indicator but round instead of oblong.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019
With the Lightroom Classic 8.4 release, Color Labels are now available for both folders and collections. 
Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The support for color labels for folders is added in the latest release of Lightroom Classic. Right click a folder and choose Add Color Label should add the relevant color label for folder. You can also filter and search based on color label. Please give it a try and let us know of your feedback.

Thanks,
Bhakti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are on the right track. It wouldn't surprise me if this feature never gets implemented for folders, because the trend is for folders to be sorta "under the hood", with collections taking the more active role for photo organization.

I use folders almost exclusively for my organizational purposes, so I'm all for making them "first class citizens"/full-featured in Lightroom, but I think I may be in the minority at this point.

For now: metadata, collections, and/or lib filtering is your answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My many folders of images (I use the ROOT\YYYY\MM\DD\ format) are inevitably various different states - some are freshly imported and untouched, some are partially edited, some are edited but awaiting review, some are published/finished, etc. - but Lightroom offers me no way to keep track of which folder is in which state, so I have to rely on post-it notes and digital todo lists which I maintain outside of the app.

This is error-prone and time consuming. Instead, I would like to be able to right-click a folder and set a state and/or colour in the same way that I can with images. This would allow me to identify the state of all the folders simply by looking at the folder tree-view, and being able to group & filter the treeview by state/colour would be the icing on the cake, so that I can quickly get an overview of how many folders of each state/colour are awaiting my attention.

Please give this serious consideration for LR4, surely this is a feature that would benefit almost all your users, and I can't understand why it hasn't already been thought of and implemented...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR has fantastic features to organize-categorize-rate images but there are no such possibilities about Folders, which is a contraddiction for a software primarily meant to help at organizing; the chance of differentiating Folders too by rating, label or any other way to assign them a particular marking could be an extremely helpful and time saving feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIGHTROOM: (Is it possible) to have the ability to highlight (with any color) the folders in the library, so in future I know which folder I have yet to do/to be done. As my library is quite extensive and navigating it can be quite time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need this very basic "feature" Adobe. Why haven't you implemented it yet?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the one feature i find myself getting really annoyed over. Surely it would be simple to add color coding to the folders? Glad i'm not the only one frustrated about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the ability to change the font color of my folder names. This would allow me to organize better and speed up my work flow by being able to "group" my folders with like colors for specific categories. For example, I could mark a folder as green once I have finished all of the photos in that folder or all green folders belong to one category and reds to another.

This could also be accomplished by being able to mark the background of the folder name with a custom color or just by adding a color flag next to the folder name. There are several ways to accomplish this, but I would just like the ability to color my folder names just like we can currently color code individual pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like it if you could flag Folders (OS file folders in the left pane) and Collections with a variety of flags like you can flag an image – Star, flag, color, etc. I can imagine a lot of uses for this, but two pop up immediately – Have I edited and processed all the images in this folder yet? And what kind of images are in this folder – personal, commercial, fine art etc. A simple filter function would allow me to pull up all the shoots/folders that I did for stock photography. In the Collations, I could filter all my web Collections, or all my print collections. This could be helpful for finding specific kinds of work or to simplify the work environment when you are working on a specific project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote for flagging/coloring/starring folders! Preferably via a sidecar model so as to allow the flagging/coloring to be consistent for folders that belong to more than one library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted something similar and photoshop'ed a screenshot. http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should have the option (in a context menu) to assign folders in the left panel certain colors like you can assign colors to layers in Photoshop. It would be really helpful for quickly identifying folders for a certain project or simply as a quick visual organizational feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2013 Oct 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote here!
IDimager can do this, as well as iMatch.

Having this possibility will greatly enhance my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2013 Oct 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the mean time, consider Jeffrey Friedl's "Folder Status" plugin:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-good...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give option to give colors to Folders in Library. Colors on photos are good for workflow, but having option to label folders would be even better to keep track of shoots being worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if it's written wrong I used a translator!

A small improvement I would like to see in lightroom is the possibility of label color folders, so we could identify the folders that Etam with the work completed, those that are being worked on and it has not even been started.

Another major improvement that lightrrom could have would be to create a new module called "workflow" it would work the way the mesama "adobe workflow lab" put into the lightroom and based on information that we put the folders in the library or something, otimo this module would have to organize our workflow knowing what work should be done first so'd have one graph gant own lightroom inside.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to be able to flag folders. Ideally to be able to give them a colour label (as we can with images) in the library view would be a massive visual reminder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps letting you add color attributes to folders in addition to photos.
In lightroom there are several colors that you can tag photos with, If folders showed up in the views, maybe you could use color tags, as well as metadata to tag folders.
Perhaps then a search on "Red" would automatically pick up all photos in any red folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read all the comments here, as we're looking at 4 years of comments on this request. Yes, color coding for folders would be very useful. And how about searchable folders? Yes, I know you can do a text search and it will show you images contained in a folder with a particular name. But LR does not bring you to THE folder or folders with that name - it only shows the photographs contained in the folder. After using LR for the past 7 years, you'd think Adobe would have done this by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that LR should provide the ability to search folder names. As a workaround, take a look at the Any Source plugin, which provides incremental search of folder names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that LR should provide the ability to search folder names. As a workaround, take a look at the Any Source plugin, which provides incremental search of folder names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. I'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. I'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to post a suggestion for this functionality.

I'd love to be able to color code folders.

On Mac, it would be even better if it used the label color that Finder uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't color-code folders, but you can define a single photo to represent a folder and color code that, so that when you view a grid of folder reps, you can see which folders are represented by a red photo etc.

PS - Source Photo plugin can help (free by me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very helpful to me if I could colour code folders in the Lightroom folder view. The text is necessarily small (I am shortsighted anyway) and it would beget to group folders for various projects and recognise them instantly. One small step for Adobe - one great leap for my ease of work . . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate