• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export isn't resizing exactly to specified long edge

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug report submitted by Rob Cole on behalf of Soulflare007, who was having problems with login/AdobeID...Lightroom 5's export isn't resizing exactly to specified long edge. For example, when I restrict long edge to 1920, the exported files are 1919. Same with 1024, I get 1023px files instead. If I export from Adobe Bridge, then the long edges are calculated correctly. This problem didn't happen with LR4. Files being exported were DNG and TIF.More info here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/54380...

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
58 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do we now keep it from enlarging images to fit the long edge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this. And this work-around now has Lighthroom enlarging any smaller image to the specified long edge. That is just great. I want my money back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest I've never used the 'Do Not Enlarge' checkbox and can't think of a good reason to use it. Please explain the specific reason why you are using it and perhaps I can provide a better solution for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth noting: the original problem was fixed @LR5.2. Unfortunately, a new (similar) bug crept into v5.3.

So, one work-around is to fall back to v5.2.

Other work-arounds:
* Uncheck "Don't Enlarge" (if really not necessary).
* Export in 2 lots: one with resizing and one without.
* Use Exportant.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to export 8 images from LR5.3
Some 5184x3456 pixel RAW-files (EOS 7D)
Some panorama JPGs created with the iPhone.
The panos are like: 2380x5040 (vertical), 3326x4988 (vertical) and 8192x2366 (horizontal).

Here are my resaults:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find a workaround by removing the "Do not enlarge"-option.
It looks like LR5.3 handles some JPG panos wrong, when exporting them with the "Do not enlarge" enabled.

Are you intrested in a copy of my files that failed to export correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a well-known and easily-reproducible bug - I doubt Adobe needs additional information at this point.

And, to paraphrase Eric Chan: Lr5.4 should be out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5.4 has still the same problem. Some websites (e.g. www.pentaxphotogallery.com) demand exact 900pix on the long edge...

It only happens in 1 about 1 of 50 photo's ONE pixel is missing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As work-around, consider editing your export preset (.lrtemplate file) and bump the max-height by a fraction of a pixel until it exports at the correct dimension (900), for example:

size_maxHeight = 900.4,

Not sure if you need to restart Lr for new setting to take.

Maybe just selecting a different preset, then back is enough - I don't remember.

If it exports at 901, you went too far ;-}

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the suggestion. 900,4 gave 901 on all testphoto's (900 and 899 size) 🙂 If I just go into develop and adjust the crop a little, it then exports correctly with 900 pix. It's a little bit time consuming, I have to do now a manually check on the export size before uploading ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in LR5.4, it ain't solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. also consider trying 900.1 ...

I mean perhaps it's just as easy to adjust crop - did you say the photos are cropped to 900 (or 899) too?

Dunno if xmp-crop plugin would be worthwhile for you or not - it supports precision cropping:

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't adjust to 900 by cropping, I just made an adjustment approx from 1900 to 1950 and also some on the other side. I don't want to install other plugins, LR should fix this problem. This is not a wish, this a bug which should be not to hard to fix... (IF export is not equal .......)

Plugin btw looks very nice, so thumbs up for offering a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - thanks, fair enough...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem described with Lightroom CC 2015 on OSX - I want to export images with a fixed width of 350px, mostly they come out at 349.

Tried to hack a solution by entering 351px, but of course, that would work perfectly - images all at 351px...!

Some sort of rounding error, bug really should not be roaming free this long, good thing we are now all on fancy shmanzy subscriptions now so Adobe can roll out patches really really quickly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, so I think what you have to do here is since I export my RAW files that are at 5184x3456, when you're trying to export to 1920 x 1080, the program will adjust for the crop factor and export at like 1620 x 1080 because that makes sense to 1080p.

So what works for me is to export at 1920x1280 and then size or crop in after effects or premier. .

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Below you will find the required resolutions for our alternative products. To achieve these exact dimensions you may need to crop your original high-resolution file. However, do not increase the size by resampling in a photo edition program, as this will distort the quality of your work. " 

^ from a photo printing site

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on LR 2015.8 - still that old issue. Driving me nuts. With a lot of experimenting with "alternative" edge sizes, I eventually got the right size. I still don't see why this bug has still not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not fixed, not even in 2016. Or it was once fixed, and the issue zombied back into a recent release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What "edge size" do you want and how are you entering the values in the Export module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My images, in this case, need to be 200x133px. I already cropped them to that ratio. In Export, I select "Fit to screen"/"Width&height" then enter 200 and 133 into the fields. What I get is 199x133, for example. But not always, seems random. Tried it at home just now and got 200x133 there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a rounding issue in the Crop tool and Export Resize to Fit algorithms. It's generally best to use Resize to Fit  'Long Edge' setting and then enter just the larger edge value. What is the exact size of the cropped original image (xxxxx by xxxxx pixels). On my system entering a 200 x 133 'Custom' Crop Ratio pulls up 2x3/4x6, which is 1.0 to 1.5 Aspect. Using that value the Export Resize to fit would be 199.5 x 133. Using Long Edge = 200 should produce consistent results of 200 x 133.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, long edge seems to work, my first attempts were successful, at least. Still I'd hope that they'd get this to work properly someday. If my image is not cropped correctly, I should still get the pixels set in the form ... Thanks, Todd!
EDIT: And yes, I do get that silly  2x3/4x6 instead of the ratio that I actually entered. As if LR had not arrived in the web age yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's a long standing bug. The details and a plugin solution by John Ellis are available at this post: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9050627#9050627

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making blanks in the the proper sizes, and copy & pasting development settings is the simplest workaround I've found. And doesn't require using a separate program.

Of course, if you aren't using the same sizes regularly; it's not much help.

Votes

Translate

Translate