• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, there's always pixel peepers. In life as in photography I always suggest to them to relax and take a step back. I'll do the same here.

Off course I agree that with growing sensors and more and more niche techniques a tool should not limit us. Give Adobe 8 more years and they'll figure it out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The viewing distance rule comes from shortcomings in our eyes not our equipment or images. Good eyes can resolve around 60 line pairs per degree. At 12 inches that works out at 572 ppi and at 24 inches 286 ppi.  If you have a printer and driver capable of 1200 ppi (not dpi which are the printer dots which make up those pixels) then go for it, but only the very young or the very close are going to see it.  🙂

That doesn't mean I don't support those folk who want Lightroom to handle bigger pixel sizes. It would be great if we could catalogue all images.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, large prints and close viewing under 12”. Printer is a commercial large format HP ink. (Bumblejax for example).
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that PSB is supported it's time to add it to the External Editing options

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging with existing topic

Please reference the new conversation here: Add PSB for external editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we, perhaps as a stopgap, have large PSB render/edit in an Enhanced Smart Preview? This preview would be a DNG proxy that differs from a Standard Smart Preview in that it trades out speed for quality. It would be the same sort of smaller render but without a ton of compression/degradation (slower).

(Typical Smart Preview is a heavily compressed, downscaled, lossy DNG proxy, right?)

MANY of my files are gigapixel - I'm looking at a smaller one just built that's 55732 x 23346 px (1300 MP). I don't need 100% zoom on this file, but could use the flexiblity of LR edit tools like adjustment brushes/gradients, etc. Export would apply the edits to the full-res PSB. 

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can implement that stopgap yourself. Create your own proxy file in PS, add it to the catalogue, then in Finder/Explorer replace it with the big PSB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

negative. LR throws up its hands. 
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot was from where? If the proxy file (eg a jpeg, a linked placed file) fits in the size guidelines, it should import and you should then be able to fool LR by swapping over the files. But I am only thinking about managing these files, tagging them, not doing things like adjustments that process the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here on my desktop (left column) you can see a 60k*40k PSB that I couldn't import into LR, but which I added to a 6k*4k PSD using File > Place Linked. And in LR I'm making adjustments to the PSB.

As another approach, I changed the PSD's name and fixed the missing file by pointing at the PSB

Now I have the actual PSB catalogued in LR, so I can manage it, but metadata won't save to the file and I can't adjust it in LR.

I'd go for the first method, but I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting until there's no need for any stopgap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

I stitch many (30-120 or more) 100mpix files in 16bit together to 5GB- 60GB (or much more)...

My wish is to catalogue them in LR, not working on them.

When will this ridiculous situation be solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSB limits = Not Professional !
Schermafbeelding20210813om11.3-28ac447f-077a-4da8-881e-34f54394e6a2-907521449.png
Schermafbeelding20210813om11.3-da59ebb5-d975-4d1b-aede-5a62e23ba1a4-1703380529.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominique wrote, "I stitch many (30-120 or more) 100mpix files".

You're hitting the 512 megapixel limit that LR imposes on all imported photos.  But this thread is about LR supporting the PSB format (which has been implemented).  Please add your constructive opinion to this feature request for increasing the megapixel limit:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-increase-supported-file-dim... 

While waiting (perhaps a long time) for Adobe to implement this, you could use the Any File plugin to catalog these very large files.  (It's definitely not as convenient as having LR directly support them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, LR doesn't (fully) support PSB and it should fully.Lightroom’s maximum dimensions (not greater than 65,000px long edge and no more than 512 MP). And that's an issue. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. The bug/feature request for increasing the megapixel limit is in that other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can Lr team detect a PSB/TIFF that is beyond 512MP and automatically built a Smart Preview DNG linked to the PSB? I don't need any edit controls. Gray out the panel and add an [Edit in PS] button. Right-click the thumb/proxy and "show in Finder" brings me to the PSB. Is Lr/Camera Raw going 32-bit anytime soon?  

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate