• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Swap Develop panels for Left-Handers

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a left-hander, and I find that using a Wacom tablet with Lightroom is incredibly cumbersome at times. This is due to the fact that all of the develop panels are on the right side of the screen, and accessing them with my pen means crossing my arm all the way across my body to the right so that the pen can access the sliders on the right panel. My idea is to add a "left-handed mode" that would simply swap the location of the left/right panels, making it easier to access the develop (and other currently-right-sided) panels when using a pen tablet.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Greetings,

Updates to Adobe Photography Products were released today and now contain this new feature. Please refresh your Adobe Creative Cloud App ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]) and download the updated version “12.0”. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
91 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give you a vote for this.
There is nothing more frustrating than being a lefty in a right hand world.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a left hander, I have to drop my stylus and get a mouse if i want to do some serious work in lightroom (the hand hides the image)

Please do something Adobe....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently started using a Wacom Cintiq. I am left handed and use the panels on the right much more that the ones on the left in the Develop module. This was not a big issue using a tablet, however, my arm is covering the image as I reach across the Cintiq. I would like to be able to swap the panels on the left and right to make working easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was dead excited when I bought my Surface Pro 3 a week ago. I was really looking forward to using it for Lightroom work without being stuck in a room on a desktop.

I watched a guy on YouTube using his for the same purpose, but what I didn't take in to consideration was that he is right handed, I'm not. When using the pen for moving sliders in the develop module, my hand would totally cover up the photo I'm working on, making it a painful experience throughout.

I know its not possible in the current version, but it would be really great if it was possible to customize the position of the panels (left side/right side, up, down, etc etc) in a future update.

Thanks for reading. Neil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read in several papers that 13% of the world is left handed! In LR 5.7.1, tapping the "L" key will hide the left & right panels. Tapping repeatedly will also restore the side panels. Seems like it would be an "easy fix" to position the panels where you want them. As an architect, I can position the panels in AutoCAD where I want them. Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Touch Workspace which is available to the Surface Pro 3 has gone some way to improve the situation for lefties, but I really don't understand why you can't just have floating docks like pretty much every other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am left handed and I work with a touch screen/pen. I would love to switch the side panels in Develop mode so the navigation panel is on the right and the adjustment panel is on the left. As is, when I work with adjustments my hand hides the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been asking for this for years. Adobe can do it with Photoshop, why not with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking at getting a surface tablet for on the road (or train) work in Lightroom - as a lefty, not being able to swap the side panels - especially in develop mode - is a major problem!

Please at minimum add the ability to swap the left and right panels. Full customization of panel layouts would of course be nice too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSSS A thousand times yes. This would make it so much easier to edit on a Surface Pro 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using HP Spectre x360 and bought a stylus just to edit photos on the go...... but guess what you can not swap the panels in lightroom so the stylus is freakin' useless for me. I've searched the whole internet and haven't found a solution so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to agree with everyone here. My Surface pro went back for this incredibly frustrating reason. Absolutely useless without this option. It's discriminatory, plain and simple

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I add my voice to this.  My usual mode of working in Lightroom is with a trackball mouse and Wacom tablet with a desk top computer and a large vertical screen.   As a lefty this works ok.  I must say, I don't use the Wacom tablet as much as I should because crossing all the way across my body to get at the adjustment panels in Lightroom is awkward.

I recently added a Surface Pro 4 when traveling.  The pen enabled screen is wonderful, except when working in Lightroom.  How big a deal is this?  It's a very big deal.  This multiplied the "aggravation" of the Wacom tablet to a "make it or break it" kind of level.  If the pen enabled screen for use in Lightroom was the only reason I bought the Surface Pro, I would have to send it back.  And it is not the Surface Pro's, or any other pen enable screen computer's problem.  With the panels where they are, a lefty can not easily use a pen to make adjustments.  My hand covers the image with the pen on the adjustment bar.  I can not see the adjustment I'm trying to make.  I have to put the pen down and go to a mouse for the adjustment once I've drawn what I needed on the image.  

So, we need to allow a left right panel switch as on option.  While you are at it, if you swap the panels, you should also allow a move of the scroll bars to the left of the panel or window.  The reason is the same.  When you scroll with the bar on the right, your hand covers the panel/window.  You have to stop and lift your hand to see if you've scrolled far enough. 

More then ten percent of the general population are lefties, and it is a fair amount higher then that among creatives.  As the pen enabled screens become more common this will become a bigger issue yet with lefties and Lightroom.

The computer industry as whole has a long history of basically ignoring interface issues of left handers with their hardware and programs.  This needs to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love using the Cintiq, and I'm a lefty. Absolutely get those panels to swap at the very least. In fact why not finish the job and make them able to simply dock and undock, just like so many of the panels in Photoshop. 

Considering how many artistic people are left handed I'm kinda gobsmacked that this hasn't been done already. GET GOING AND FIX THIS PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to echo all of the comments thus far. I have just purchased a Wacom Cintiq and find that as a left hander it is almost impossible to use Lightroom develop panel. Surely it is just a matter of writing code - please make this happen in the next update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto everything that has been said.   Left handers using a stylus are handicapped by the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answers from Adobe about this subject that started 3 years ago.
I'm fed up having no feedback from them.

I'm learning to use Capture One which interface is usable by left handers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a lefty with a surface pro, this has reached the level of absurdity. Why has this simple fix not been implemented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm willing to bet that our change request is being categorized as a "nice-to-have" since we lefties represent only 10-20% of the total population and therefore has no provable ROI in the eyes of the Lead Program Managers. Of course they must also be completely ignorant of the proportion of Lefties in the CREATIVE subpopulation, and which composes the majority of their CC buyers and users. I'm also willing to bet that this is at least partially due to a brittle display framework underlying the Lightroom application code that would require significant rip & replace by their devs. I hope they aren't waiting for iOS to "take over the world" which is an absurd belief among many tech reporters in the media who have never edited a phot in their lives outside of Snapchat applets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update is long overdue.  Especially now with touch screen tablets and laptops being almost ubiquitous.  LR needs the option to swap the left and right sides for left-handed people.  This simple solution would make a world of a difference for left-handed people.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I really like the looks of the new MS all in one computer that folds down to a 20 degree angle, but that would be about worthless if I have to reach my left hand all the way over to the right side of a 28 inch screen to get to the sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%.  As a lefty on a touchscreen computer, the Lightroom interface is not sufficient.  I have to use a keyboard when every right-handed person doesn't.  Seems silly that all of Adobe's other programs allow a customized UI and Lightroom is still making this harder for us lefties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue. This is a real problem and deal breaker when using a tablet with pen.
Adobe, please fix this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this, this is some sort of discrimination against left handed people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%. I also have the same issue just because i am left-handed. It's incredible thats such a wonderful software doesn't let the possibility to the customer to change the interface. Adobe please help the lefties.

Votes

Translate

Translate