• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Number Generator for Whole Images (in Lightroom?)

Participant ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have numerous colorful photos that I need to send out for printing. I need to provide spot-RGB-color numbers to the people printing along with a reference point for said spot. I have tried to use the eyedropper in the develop module, but 1) the dropper controls the cursor, so you can't contain a screen shot and 2) using the whole screen shot removes the dropper (but keeps the associated palette), so there is no reference point.

I was hoping to find a tool that would allow pinpointing a reference point and generate a palette with these numbers, but have not found such an app (ideally for Lightroom--but if I have to reopen all of these images in Photoshop in order to do this, I will.)

I hope that makes sense. Does anyone know of a tool that will do this?

Thank you!!

wobertc​ dj_paige any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be a long time waiting. Best you do it in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ian. Although it wasn't ideal, I took images of the screen while using the eyedropper tool in Lightroom and sent those off. It was the only way I could think of to get the point selected (using the eyedropper tool) and RGB numbers (and file name) at the same time. Not a pretty picture, but the information was communicated and that's what I needed!

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom can show you want you want but the problem is not being able to take a screen shot of what you see, and you're using the screen shot feature built into your computer's operating system, the answer might be to use a different screen shot utility.

Would a screen shot like the one below work for your purposes?

Color sampler with pointer.jpg

I captured it using Snapz Pro X. It lets you define the capture area in advance, and has an option for capturing the pointer, so once you have everything in position you just hit the keyboard shortcut for capturing the predefined area, and it will grab it all. There are probably other screen capture utilities that can do that too, Snapz Pro X is what I happen to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad, definitely! I will look into that moving forward. For the time being, I have sent off iPhone images of the point selected.

I am looking forward to trying out Snapz (or similar). I like that it shows so much of the surrounding area in the target grid. Maybe Lightroom does that too, if you make the grid smaller....

Thanks so much for responding, I didn't think to look for screenshot apps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RGB values are percentages and the colour space is a variation of Pro Photo RGB. Therefore, not sure how your printer will make use of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The RGB values are percentages and the colour space is a variation of Pro Photo RGB. Therefore, not sure how your printer will make use of it."

You would need to put LR into Soft Proof mode and soft proof to a printer profile supplied by your printer (a profile specific to his machine) before making the readings and then export the image in the color space he requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and do not forget: your screen needs to be calibrated.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian, it seems this is where my knowledge gap is--and where my current problems are. I'll need to correct that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I understand your request right, you want to create reference colours for your printer, that he or she should match with the correct colour?

That will not work out like this. What you will need is a calibrated workflow and choosing a printer service provider with a calibrated workflow. In that sense, you can be sure, that green is your green, blue is your blue and red is your red. You need , however, accepting that colour conversion from screen to print is a conversion and differences will be there. A colour calibrated workflow only assures, that the differences are minimized to the point, that they get irrelevant to the eye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo​, that is essentially what one of my printers said yesterday, and unfortunately, the area I know the least/nothing about. I was not sure how to accomplish what you've referred to, but will go back to each printer with the information @elie_di and you provided. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

please look here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines