• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Support for Nikon Z6 II Camera

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got my Z6 II but i was not able to download all the raw files to Lightromm Classic

please help

Regards

Gan

{Moderator Note: Edited title}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 10.1, Lightroom 4.1, and Camera Raw 13.1 which includes the support for the Nikon Z6 II camera.

Here's the list of new cameras and lenses

Let us know if that helps and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 134 Replies 134
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Pain, the Nikon software is not fitting in with my workflow..  I thought a couple of weeks? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The D780 release to LR update was I believe 25 days so I would assume that it will be roughly the same timeframe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what this "25 days"means. Any thoughts on when the 6ii will
have Lightroom support?

--

Bob Dumon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was just meant to say, that the Nikon D780 had the same release issue with NEF files for LR earlier this year. The LR update that corrected the issue was released approximately 25 days later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, okay, thanks. Then hopefully *before *December. Fingers crossed....

--

Bob Dumon
Robert Dumon Photography
2154 Royal Pines Drive, New Bern, NC 28560
Past Secretary, *Coastal Photo Club*
Email: robertdumonphotography@gmail.com
Sample photos: https://bobdumon.smugmug.com/
Cell Phone: (252) 349-7931

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an experimental script which edits the header of NEF files. The edited files look as if they were taken with Nikon Z6 so that they can be edited in Adobe LR/PS. Both cameras share the same sensor so it should be safe to use this trick.

Use at your own risk. Note that Python installation is required. See README for details.

https://pavelkaras.cz/ruzne/z6ii_to_z6.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both cameras share the same sensor so it should be safe to use this trick.

But this is not correct. It doesn't matter that it is the same sensor. What does matter is that the format of the files are identical (which they may or may not be). If the format of the files is not identical, then Lightroom Classic might not read the image properly and leave out pixels, or make use of the wrong information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it and it works. Of course, it is not the proper way but I needed to open NEF files ASAP and didn't want to wait for DNG Converter / Camera Raw update. I thought I'd share it here in case someone else wants to give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, it is the same trick as the console utility mentioned above. However, you don't need to compile the code as it is written in Python.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it and it works.

I would say: it works as far as YOU can tell. Which may be its 100% perfect, or it may be less than 100% perfect (or in other words, it doesn't work). That's the risk of doing this, you may (or may not) get something that isn't right. Did you even compare the results of this to  what you get using Nikon software on the same photo? Did you do this comparison on many photos? All of this rigorous testing is needed, have you done that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote the disclaimer in the README file but I will also write it here: backup your files, use at your own risk. I don't force anyone to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've taken a look at both codes.

The console line app is searching a few more bytes (although it only changes the two "offending" bytes):

private readonly byte[] originalSequence = new byte[] {
0x4E, 0x49, 0x4B, 0x4F, 0x4E, 0x20, 0x43, 0x4F, 0x52, 0x50, 0x4F, 0x52, 0x41, 0x54, 0x49, 0x4F,
0x4E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x4E, 0x49, 0x4B, 0x4F, 0x4E, 0x20, 0x5A, 0x20, 0x36, 0x5F, 0x32, 0x00
};

private readonly byte[] replacedSequence = new byte[] {
0x4E, 0x49, 0x4B, 0x4F, 0x4E, 0x20, 0x43, 0x4F, 0x52, 0x50, 0x4F, 0x52, 0x41, 0x54, 0x49, 0x4F,
0x4E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x4E, 0x49, 0x4B, 0x4F, 0x4E, 0x20, 0x5A, 0x20, 0x36, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
};

Your python script:

strsearch = b"\x4E\x49\x4B\x4F\x4E\x20\x5A\x20\x36\x5F\x32\x00"
strreplace = b"\x4E\x49\x4B\x4F\x4E\x20\x5A\x20\x36\x00\x00\x00"

I don't have any ideia of either solution works perfectly, but I applaud both users for trying to solve (apparently) the problem. Two days ago I updated Adobe Camera Raw and it still does not support the Z6ii 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you for comparison. To explain the difference in the code: The first sequence of bytes translates to "NIKON CORPORATION". The key sequence (in bold letters) translates to "NIKON Z 6_2".

AFAIK, the day the 1st generation of Z6 was released, you could use the beta version Adobe DNG Converter and it took 3 weeks for the official Adobe Camera Raw to support the camera. So I expect an update of the ADNGC to come soon and the ACR update later. Unfortunately, we have none of that right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for this, i am facing problems running in my MAC. Do you have some small instruction on how to do it?

I have installed Python, put the .py and .sh file in the same directory with my Z6ii NEF file and run in TERMINAL sh z6ii_to_z6.py and it is showing me IMAGEMAGIK error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if I understand correctly. Are you running the command "sh z6ii_to_z6.py"? You should run "sh z6ii_to_z6.sh" (or simply click on the sh script if that works, I don't have a Mac to test it). Alternatively, you can type "python z6ii_to_z6.py" in the terminal. If you still get the Imagemagick error, please copy+paste it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am getting this error

Cesars-MacBook-Pro:desktop rocksmac$ sh z6ii_to_z6.sh

sh: z6ii_to_z6.sh: No such file or directory

Cesars-MacBook-Pro:desktop rocksmac$ cd test

Cesars-MacBook-Pro:test rocksmac$ sh z6ii_to_z6.sh

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Co': [Errno 2] No such file or directoryz6ii_to_z6.py

Press any key...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, pauliezmm, thank you so much for your contribution, it really help me a lot with this coding of yours as I had just purchased a Nikon z6ii. Can you create for the Nikon D780 and the Sony a7iv too as my friends were appreciating your script.

With love.

Lamphrang R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It normally doesn't take them long to update. We had the same issue with the Nikon D780 at first release but they do work to resolve the changes as quickly as possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amanda - I hope so. Im a bit annoyed as it renders the camera a bit useless if I cant even view and edit my files. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all goes back to the camera manufacturers. They all see Adobe as "competition", and so they don't give anything away until the camera is actually on the shelves in stores. That's when the Adobe engineers can start working on supporting it. Give them credit instead, for managing it in such short time as they usually do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i oh agree! i am cross at Nikon.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out you can make it work now without anything too fancy.  You just change the exif data to "NIKON Z 6" and it'll work.   Since the sensor is the same, this is just kind of like faking the software into knowing how to handle the data.   I was going to try that zip file above but it looked too "Techy" for me.

This got me all set up till they get support going

https://node14.com/Public/Blog/OpenNikonZ6IIRaw.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much....

--

Bob Dumon
Robert Dumon Photography
2154 Royal Pines Drive, New Bern, NC 28560
Past Secretary, *Coastal Photo Club*
Email: robertdumonphotography@gmail.com
Sample photos: https://bobdumon.smugmug.com/
Cell Phone: (252) 349-7931

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines