• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I sent away Smart Previews to an editor and cannot get them to show changes on my end

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are we doing wrong?

I built Smart Previews, sent them to my editor, and she can work on them and use them just fine. She applied my presets, straightened and cropped, added colour coding, and flagged images for rejection. She sent them back, but I can't see any changes!

Something is missing but I've never used these before. Any input would be very appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

We are seeing different opinions on this topic, and details are difficult to explain.

I have found some notes I made some time ago, so will inset the text-

WORKFLOW FOR OUT-SOURCING

CLIENT is the Photographer

EDITOR is the Contract person to develop images.

The CLIENT in the Master Lightroom catalog-

1. Select the folder of images for editing

2. Right-click to [Export this folder as a Catalog]

3. Save the exported catalog folder in a suitable location and name (eg. “Job for Edits”)

4. Set the Export o

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your editor needs to send back an .xmp file with the changes (assuming these are RAW originals)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean xml? I was told just to send them the Smart Previews (dng files) and they send the original file back to me. No exporting, just send back the previews. If this is wrong I need more detailed instructions. I don't understand how to use these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hourglassimaging  wrote

Do you mean xml? I was told just to send them the Smart Previews (dng files) and they send the original file back to me. No exporting, just send back the previews. If this is wrong I need more detailed instructions. I don't understand how to use these files.

xmp

These are files created by LR (if you turn on the option) that store your edits. The editor needs to send you the xmp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that the editor can save XMP files if he only has the smart previews. Smart previews are DNG, so Lightroom won't save separate XMP files, it will embed the edits in the metadata of the smart preview.

I think the whole approach of only sending smart previews is a mistake to begin with. It means that the editor will use these as if they are originals, so how are you going to reconnect these smart previews with the original raw files on return? That won't be so easy...

'hourglassimaging' should have saved the images as catalog, including smart previews but excluding the originals. Then he should have sent that catalog to the editor, and the editor should send back that catalog when finished. Then he can use 'Import from Another Catalog' to import the edits and connect them to the originals.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Add: I have never used smart previews for outside editing before. I need lots of details please. This is super new to me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that your editor must return you a Catalog (LRCAT file)  with the edits. (and only a Catalog is needed- no raw files or Previews)

Smart Previews are not like full-size DNG files, and the edits done will not embed in the smart preview or in a sidecar xmp files.

You should Export a 'temporary' Catalog with SPs to send to the editor (in a zip file)-

Then the editor does the edits and returns the 'temporary' Catalog to you. Replace your version of the 'temporary' catalog exported and re-link with the originals (or the Smart Previews) in your computer showing the edits done.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing different opinions on this topic, and details are difficult to explain.

I have found some notes I made some time ago, so will inset the text-

WORKFLOW FOR OUT-SOURCING

CLIENT is the Photographer

EDITOR is the Contract person to develop images.

The CLIENT in the Master Lightroom catalog-

1. Select the folder of images for editing

2. Right-click to [Export this folder as a Catalog]

3. Save the exported catalog folder in a suitable location and name (eg. “Job for Edits”)

4. Set the Export options-

Export Negative Files     (No)

Build/Include Smart Previews     (Yes)

Include available Previews     (Yes)

5. The Export result is a folder containing-

Catalog  “Job for Edits”

Regular Previews

Smart Previews

6. Send this Folder to the EDITOR.  (Dropbox is one method)

The EDITOR-

1. Opens the Catalog “Job for Edits”  (No Importing from another Catalog needed)

2. Does all the Develop work.

3. Sends the Catalog “Job for Edits” back to the CLIENT as a .ZIP file (or Dropbox)

Preview files are not needed!

The CLIENT

1. Opens their Master Catalog

2. Selects Menu > File > Import from another Catalog.

3. Select the “Job for Edits” catalog returned from the EDITOR. (See * below)

No Previews to import!

File Handling: *Add New Photos to Catalog without moving.* Don't add new photos.

Replace:   Metadata & Develop Settings only.

Preserve Old Settings as Virtual Copy (If you want to keep previous CLIENT editing.)

4. [Import]

5. Master Catalog Previews update with Development by EDITOR.

* If the EDITOR has created extra Derivative files from raw images- TIFF PSD JPG etc, then placing/copying the Catalog  “Job for Edits” back within the original folder of images, will add these ‘New’ files into nearby folders in the library folder structure when the [Import from another Catalog] is invoked.

EDIT: The EDITOR could NOT make derivatives from the Smart Previews! (eg. Edit in Photoshop)- The original files would be needed.

I correct my notes on gained knowledge.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WobertC, so the crux of the issue is the original poster need to utilise the Export as a Catalog function to send the files for editing by the processing provider. Thanks for the detailed workflow.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the problem - I forgot to send the catalog so she made her own. I was given bad advice before this and was never told to send the lrcat file. She sent me hers and now I can see everything. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC Any idea why I cannot choose what to replace? It's all faded out, I can't choose metadata because it says there are no files found, but I can *see* them. UGH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

She sent me hers and now I can see everything.

Well this Catalog will have been made using the Smart Preview files as if they were 'original' photos. You are seeing only the standard previews. (no doubt with the 'missing' icon?)

As her edits will be linked to the files you supplied, There is no simple way to link the metadata or editing back to your 'full-size' originals from your camera.

You may find a Plug-in that can transfer metadata, but I have no experience with that- sorry!

eg. Photographer's toolbox - your source for Lightroom Plugins and Web Engines

(Metadata Transfer Tools)

Seek further advice on this topic in a new thread.

I cannot choose what to replace?

Not sure just 'what' you are trying to replace.

But the Catalog from the editor is linked only to the smart preview files and has no relationship with your camera originals. So "Import from another Catalog" is not possible.

no files found,

I guess 'her' catalog is looking for the files you provided her and they are not located where the catalog believes them to be?

Can you post a screen-clip that shows the names of the files in the editors catalog as you see them in the library grid view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think that even if you have the "automatically write changes to xmp" option selected in Lightroom Preferences that Lightroom will be saving these changes to the "Smart Previews". By default Lightroom reads and writes to the Catalog File, writing to xmp option allows info to be shared with Adobe Camera Raw which default is to write to the file since it does not utilise a Catalog File and cannot read or write to the Lightroom Catalog File.

Does Adobe Camera Raw actually utilise "Smart Previews"????

I ask this question since, while I use Adobe Photoshop, I do not utilise Adobe Camera Raw or xmp files in my workflow.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes  wrote

I do not think that even if you have the "automatically write changes to xmp" option selected in Lightroom Preferences that Lightroom will be saving these changes to the "Smart Previews". By default Lightroom reads and writes to the Catalog File, writing to xmp option allows info to be shared with Adobe Camera Raw which default is to write to the file since it does not utilise a Catalog File and cannot read or write to the Lightroom Catalog File.

Does Adobe Camera Raw actually utilise "Smart Previews"????

I ask this question since, while I use Adobe Photoshop, I do not utilise Adobe Camera Raw or xmp files in my workflow.

It normally doesn’t. However, if the client sends only the smart previews, then all the editor could possibly do is use those smart previews as if they were originals (so import them in Lightroom, or open them in Camera Raw). Then it would be possible to write metadata to them, but the problem would be how to ‘relink’ them to the originals on the client side.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the problem would be how to ‘relink’ them to the originals on the client side.

Exactly!

And the reason why it has to be done by Export and Import of a CATALOG for the OP's purpose.

Smart Previews, although they are DNG files (called "Proxy files" and pixel size limited), must be considered as a 'cache of previews' essential for the catalog, and not individual photo files.

OTOH You can use Smart Preview files (DNGs) independently by copying them from the SP cache, but they come with cryptic file names like 00E8AC00-FF66-4513-8D0C-E2D4CA97D0B9.DNG and once removed from the 'cache of proxies' they become 'new' files that are not referenced anywhere in Lightroom- hence cannot be re-linked to the originals in the Master catalog.

(A user who deleted their original images could use the SPs to recover photos- akin to the plugin to recover standard previews as JPG files)

Fun experiment-

1. Copy a Smart Preview file 00E8AC00-FF66-4513-8D0C-E2D4CA97D0B9.DNG   and rename COPY.DNG,

2. Import  COPY.DNG into LR (as a new file)

3. Develop

4. Save metadata [Ctrl+s]

5. Open COPY.DNG file in Photoshop from File Explorer (not LR)

6. Image opens in ACR with the edits!!

Proven: Can embed XMP edits into a Smart Preview DNG 'copy'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines