• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: XMP files only intermittently created when bulk 'Save To' of 'Original + Settings' undertaken

Explorer ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This topic has sort of been covered in the below, so I'm guessing is a somewhat acknowledged problem, but I couldn't find a bug report which specifically stated this behaviour so I've created a new one. Apologies if this is not the correct way to go about this.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10701152#10701152 - this is specifically referring to the Lightroom Downloader application
https://forums.adobe.com/message/10738453#10738453 - not really as specific an issue as I'm speaking to here

In Lightroom CC on macOS if I select a couple of hundred photos (a mix of raw CR2 and DNG files, as well as some HEIC files) then select 'Save To', then 'Original + Settings' and export only a small number of the exported raw files also have an XMP sidecar created with them. All of these photos have had metadata created, such as keywords and copyright information (however not all have had edits made to them).

If I select just a single image which failed to export an XMP sidecar in the above example, and follow the same steps of 'Save To' then 'Original + Settings', the CR2 file is exported along with the XMP sidecar file.

If it's relevant, the albums I'm exporting this from have been set to 'Store Album Locally' - however I believe I've seen this behaviour with albums not set to store locally.

Cheers,

Nick

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG files do not have an XMP sidecar file. The metadata are stored inside the DNG file. So if you export a mix of CR2 and DNG files 'as original', then you will get CR2 files with XMP sidecar files and DNG files without sidecar files.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan, I do understand that (and the rationale behind it) - however most of the CR2 (ie Canon raw) files are missing the XMP sidecar, which is the issue here. I just included that it was a mix of DNG, CR2 and HEIC being exported in case that's part of the problem. I can do a screen recording and attach if it helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've made a screen recording in case there is any confusion as to what happens here.

It's also worth noting I've been experiencing this problem since the first time I tried to export files (and I've been using Lightroom CC since day 1). This has happened on two different Macs, and I recently formatted one of those Macs's hard drives and reinstalled macOS and Creative Suite from scratch and this problem ensues.

Cheers,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick

Thanks for reporting the issue. 

There is a known issue similar to this when you export photos and videos in the batch export as Original+Settings. Can you please confirm if the issue seems fixed with just the images selected? You can use the filter bar options to filter out the videos from the album and then try exporting just the photos.

Thanks
Ankur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankur,

You are completely correct - I just tested with a filter to only export images and it works correctly!

Thanks for the workaround!

Cheers,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankur,

You are completely correct - I just tested with a filter to only export images and it works correctly!

Thanks for the workaround!

Cheers,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the next update. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Desktop 2.3 was released today and contained a fix for this issue. Please update to 2.3 and verify that you are no longer seeing the issue. Thank you!
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Rikk. I've tested and confirmed this is now resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate