• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop lightroom from uploading my photos to the cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lightroom installed on computers and a phone. I don't want it to auto upload photos to the cloud. How do I stop photos from uploading?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening with photos you shoot with your phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BS - you have the option to upload to the cloud or not.  I just want the option.  I want to upload items to the web for clients but personal photos are on external drives etc.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC uploads everything to the cloud. That is how it is intended to work. You can’t turn this off. If you don’t want your images in the cloud, use Lightroom Classic CC instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this is unacceptable. I want to use the software I've paid for, but i don't want to be forced to use the cloud store. This thing uploads gigabytes of images without even asking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also unacceptable to me and if that's the case I will use another product and cancel my subscription.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be our guest. You paid for software that stores the originals in the cloud (and so you paid for cloud storage too). If you don't like beer, then don't buy beer.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers like this aren't ever helpful.

It can and should work offline; like any other bit of bought software. Lightroom classic's interface is made to look old and shabby in comparison which is pretty lame.

PS. You can also ask for a beer in a glass instead of having it forcefully poured into your mouth.

PS.2. I've just found a solution to pause the syncing - click the cloud icon in the top right, then click the bottom of that popup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised by such low-class unprofessional answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valerios52923229 wrote:

I am surprised by such low-class unprofessional answer.

The answers given are professional because they are absolutely true and correct. The problem is not with the answers, it is with how Adobe designed Lightroom. They designed Lightroom as a cloud-first application. Lightroom is not a good fit for anyone wanting the cloud to be optional.

I use Lightroom Classic because it is designed to be based on local storage, with the cloud completely optional, and because Lightroom Classic has additional features I need that are not in Lightroom. Adobe offers both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, I picked the one I like (Classic) and I spend very little time in the other (Lightroom) although it has its uses.

The bottom line is Adobe provides both options. Anyone who does not want to deal with the cloud should be using Lightroom Classic, which will work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just paused syning and never turn it back on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a kant LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an incredibly rude and childish way to respond to a very valid comment. 
I would like to use the intuitive, simple and better designed Lightroom than the janky and ancient Lightroom classic without being forced to upload everything to adobe servers. It's not unreasonable to expect the ability to choose where my photos are stored. So either be helpful or don't respond at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is turned into a gripe session for a few users who want something they can't have. If you want to use Lightroom to save images only on a local hard drive then Lightroom Classic is the choice. If you only want to save images in the cloud then Lightroom is the choice. That's the way the two programs have been designed. Make your choice, one or the other. If neither one of them meets your needs then choose something else. The choice really is that simple. No one here can change Lightroom to work the way you wanted to work. I really don't want to, and anyone who really understands the two programs doesn't want to either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Karim Medhat wrote:

So either be helpful or don't respond at all.

To not answer means to not explain how they have set things up, leaving people in the dark. To answer is to describe what actual options are available right now.

@Karim Medhat wrote:

It's not unreasonable to expect the ability to choose where my photos are stored.

Correct, it’s not unreasonable to expect that. The problem is that the option doesn’t exist at the moment, so the best solution available right now is to send Adobe a request for that option in the Ideas section of this community, where others can upvote your idea, and sometimes they get implemented. If you go there and find that someone else already requested it, you can upvote their request.

What is unreasonable is to expect volunteer forum contributors to change the software when they don’t have any control over the code. Adobe has control over the code. The forum members can only tell it like it is, and point people to the Ideas feature request area, and that is what they have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an insufferable reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand this is the path Adobe has chosen. But do you honestly not understand why people wouldn't want their private photos uploaded to a third party corporation's servers? You can shrug if you like, but it's ridiculous to pretend you can't even wrap your mind around why some people wouldn't want this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alternative is to switch to Lightroom Classic. That's the program that stores images in folders on your hard drive and manages everything in a catalog that is stored on your local hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better off just uninstalling anything to do with Lightroom, as I have just done. What the hell is wrong with using Photoshop?? In attempts to use LR I right clicked on a file, as one does with any file, and opted to open in LR. And LR, the oddes program on any of my computers, open a different photo. And it always wanats to 'import' my photos -- !! I have all my photos right here, no need to 'import' my photos  --  I just would like to edit ONE photo. Leave the rest alone! Also could not find Camera Raw, wich opens automatically in PS. Other editing options were also not available, and I had the latest versions. Oh well, uninstalled and the missery is gone now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. @cecilw46112596 wrote:

Better off just uninstalling anything to do with Lightroom, as I have just done. What the hell is wrong with using Photoshop?? In attempts to use LR I right clicked on a file, as one does with any file, and opted to open in LR. And LR, the oddes program on any of my computers, open a different photo. And it always wanats to 'import' my photos -- !! I have all my photos right here, no need to 'import' my photos  --  I just would like to edit ONE photo. Leave the rest alone! Also could not find Camera Raw, wich opens automatically in PS. Other editing options were also not available, and I had the latest versions. Oh well, uninstalled and the missery is gone now.

If you have no clue how Lightroom works and have no desire to learn, then do indeed stick to Photoshop. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awful idea. let people choose to uplaodi dont want your cloud storage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why does Adobe charge for the use of LR and the video editing and other
programs in one price when I ONLY wish to use PS and Camera Raw; or am I
missing something. I am paying for other programs that I have no need for!
Maybe I've missed a different smaller price plan. So since I am paying for
LR I have given it a try a few times but it does not work like All other
Microsoft programs. Oh well, I do enjoy PS, and lately with a couple Topaz
plugins.

--
*The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.*
*I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to
tell such LIES.*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cecilw46112596 wrote:
So why does Adobe charge for the use of LR and the video editing and other
programs in one price when I ONLY wish to use PS and Camera Raw; or am I
missing something. I am paying for other programs that I have no need fo r!
Maybe I've missed a different smaller price plan.

If you’re on the Photography Plan, you’re already on the lowest price plan. It is a special bundle deal that Adobe has, and breaking out the applications is not going to lower the cost.

Just look at all the other single-app plans they have: If you choose to subscribe to Photoshop alone, or Illustrator alone, or Premiere Pro alone, that will be $20.99 a month. That is their normal single-app price.

The $9.99/month Photography plan bundle is the cheapest way to get just Photoshop or just Lightroom or just Lightroom Classic, even though you get all three. Just pay the $9.99 and ignore the apps you don’t want. Trying to subscribe to just one will be the normal $20.99/month price.

If you are saying “So why does Adobe charge for the use of LR and the video editing” then are you actually subscribing to the $52.99/month All Apps plan, which includes the Premiere Pro video editing application? Then you probaly don’t want the $52.99/month All Apps plan, you probably want the $9.99/month Photography Plan bundle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My monthly cost is about CDN 15.00. Not a problem if I can't get a cheaper
PS only price.

--
*The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.*
*I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to
tell such LIES.*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines