• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR not rendering S22 Ultra photos correctly (this is NOT the LR In-App camera bug)

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Android 12).

Lightroom Mobile v7.2.1.

Lightroom (Windows) 5.3

Lightroom Classic 11.3

• I take photos on the phone with the stock Samsung Camera app (v 12.0.01.62) in normal as well as PRO modes, and also Samsung's Expert RAW app (v 1.0.01.1).
  • The photos are generally in HEIC format, but I also use RAW (DNG) and JPEG.
  • The issues described below are found with the HEIC photos, not DNG or JPG.
  • I import photos to Adobe Lightroom Mobile on the phone.
  • The photos as displayed in the stock Samsung gallery look 'correct' / as expected.
  • When they are displayed in the LR Mobile gallery they are too bright and also appear to be the wrong colour balance.
  • When I open an HEIC image from the LR Mobile gallery the image then 'resolves' and matches the way it looks in the stock Samsung gallery (i.e. 'correctly'). This does not then translate back to the gallery view - the image still looks wrong in that view.
  • Moving to the Windows PC and Lightroom (v5.3), the photos' appearance matches that seen in LR Mobile - i.e. too bright and the wrong colour balance when displayed in the film strip.
  • This is where it gets odd
    • With LR v5.2, when opened to a single image view the image 'resolved' after 3-5 seconds and then looked correct.
    • The images in the film strip remained incorrect.
    • With LR v5.3 the images remain too bright / incorrect colour balance all the time, both in the film strip and when opened as the main image - they do not now 'resolve' to the correct look.
  • I also use LR Classic, where the photos are synchronised via LR Mobile's albums
    • In LR Classic 11.2 the photos looked correct in both the gallery and individual formats as soon as they are opened.
    • With LR Classic 11.3 however the behaviour has become rather odd - they change between incorrect and correct in an on/off fashion - see attached screen recording. 

I hope that is enough information but if you require more let me know. 

TOPICS
Android , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be in "Bugs" not Discussions - how do I move it @Rikk Flohr: Photography  ?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hasn't been confirmed as a bug yet. Once confirmed one of the moderators will move it. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification Rikk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you are aware that HEIC files are not supported from Android Devices?
See: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. No, I had not seen that note before.

However, it seems to be contradictory (I must be reading it wrong) - see Background information vs later paras.

---

Background information: Although modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos and HEVC (H.265) videos, Lightroom and Camera raw support only HEIF/.heic files created with iOS devices.

HEIC image files support:

Android

Lightroom for mobile (Android) supports HEIF/.heic files

---

What does this last entry mean if not that Lightroom Mobile on Android supports .heic files?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only iOS HEIC files are supported.

The later line means that if you sync a supported HEIC from an iOS device to an Android device, the Android device can process it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. I'm astounded (and frustrated) that Adobe do not yet support Android HEIC and, even more worrying, that LR Android Mobile happily imports (Android) HEIC photos without any warning!

I have submitted a feature request for this support and, in the meantime, that LR Android Mobile is updated to warn and offer conversion to JPG.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've merged your request into the authoritative request. Realize this isn't an Android slight. I would love to have my Canon R5 HIF files supported too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to send me a sample HEIC file, I would be happy to pass it along to the team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until version 11.3.1 I was able to view and edit heic files just fine. Now I have the issue in this latest update.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Same with my LR. Since the update it was OK. All heic files from my androids were OK. Now the colors/exposure is weird (see the attachment).

Adobe Photoshop opens the heic without a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Using Samsung S22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On july 2022, I'm having issues too trying to edit raw files from my fullframe camera in lightroom mobile for Samsung S22 Ultra. Is there any news about this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines