• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie Needs help

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been playing around for a few weeks and even made a nice slide show.  But, I'm a bit confused with Lr and LrC. 

Here is my basic understanding - Lr is basically for organizing and storing.  And Lr C is best for manipulating and making slideshows etc.  I found LrC very intuitive after a few missteps.

What I'm struggling with is storage.  Since I pay for a TB of storage - I really want to migrate everything to the Adobe Cloud from my laptop etc.  And, then after I clean up, delete the 1000's of photos, and organize into folders, slideshows etc, I would like to then do a backup to my NAS (or another disk). 

In summary, I'm hoping to put all the photos up on Lr - clean them up with LrC - and then deal with backing them up somewhere for safety in case of an Adobe problem. 

I'm just worried that I'm going to delete from my HD and find out that I did something wrong and everything is gone.  It took me a while to figure out that all the manipulating I needed to do was in LrC.  From my understanding Lr is really only about storage...  And, I'm a little confused about LrC and where it accesses the photos from.  It seems that some may be on my HD and others the Cloud... confusing.

So - how do I make sure everything is in Lr - delete everything from my HD - manipulate in LrC - and then do a backup volume on my NAS.

Sorry for the long message but I wanted to make sure both my confusion, understanding (for what it's worth) and intent are clear.  🙂

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my basic understanding - Lr is basically for organizing and storing.  And Lr C is best for manipulating and making slideshows etc.  I found LrC very intuitive after a few missteps.

You're going wrong from the start, as your understanding is largely incorrect. Both the Lightroom desktop and Lightroom Classic can be used for organising, storing, and editing your images, and independently of each other, i.e. you can use either to do essentially the same job. The major differences between them are that Classic stores images locally, whereas Lightroom Desktop stores them in the cloud, and Classic has a lot more features than Lightroom (such as Slideshow and Printing).

Trying to use both to do the one job (i.e. organising and storing in Lightroom and then editing, printing and running slideshows in Classic) is possible but not recommended by Adobe, and comes with complications and frustrations. My advice to you would be to figure out which version you want to use and go from there. Start with this: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim Wilde 

I much appreciate your comments.  Very helpful. 

I have to say for a rather pricey program Adobe seems rather disjointed. 

My problem is that I really want the Cloud backup and ease of use.  But, I found that LrC was much easier to navigate (and I wanted to do a slideshow). 

I'm guessing I can make Lr my go to - and then use LrC when warranted - like when I want to do a slideshow.

Seems to me that it would make a lot of sense for Adobe to combine the 2 (Lr and LrC) instead of the disparate jumble we have now...

I'm still open to comments and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up.

So now I have photos in LrC and on my hard drive.

And, I have a bunch of photos in Lr. 

What I want to do is transfer everything from LrC to Lr.   And then delete all the photos from my HD.

My goal is to quickly clean up and delete years of photos.  Guess I'll have to do that in Lr. 

Right now, because I used LrC for a project - my HD is crammed up with photos.  Exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Cool systems but definitely not clear to navigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to understand how it all works before you get too deep, otherwise you will end up in a mess.

The Lightroom "ecosystem" consists of a cloud "hub" which manages the flow of assets between the hub and the various Lightroom "clients", i.e. apps which run on disparate local devices. There are Desktop apps for both Mac and Windows computers, various versions of the LrMobile app (iOS/iPadOS/Android smartphones and tablets), an AppleTV app, and the LrWeb app which runs in most browsers. All apart from LrWeb have a local version of the cloud "catalog", which means they can run offline if needed. Functionality is fairly common to all the client apps, though there are some minor differences. All images imported into any of those clients will by default upload to the cloud (in full original form) where they are stored and managed by the Adobe servers, and those images will also sync to all the other clients (though the originals don't have to be downloaded, the user will have options to use only previews locally). All changes made in one client will automatically sync to all the other connected clients via the hub.

All these apps are available under the Lightroom-only subscription plan, which includes also 1TB of cloud storage space. In one of your posts you said you wanted "Cloud Backup", but understand that this is NOT a cloud backup solution, it is in fact a cloud STORAGE solution, i.e. your master images are stored in the cloud. Within the cloud, they are supposedly also backed up by Adobe, but that is not visible to the user. You can optionally store a local copy of the cloud originals using the Lightroom Desktop app, but that is mainly provided to facilitate offline working.

There is another subscription plan, called the Photography Plan. It includes all the same apps as the Lightroom-only Plan, and also includes Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, but only includes 20GB of cloud storage. Lightroom Classic uses local disk storage only, and backup responsibility for that is squarely on the shoulders of the user. It is also possible to sync a Classic catalog to the cloud, but when you do that there are several key things the user needs to understand:

1. Any images that already exist within the cloud, or are subsequently added to the cloud from any of the Lightroom clients, will automatically download into the sync-enabled Classic catalog. They are there stored in full original form in a default location, but that can be changed in the Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab. 

2. None of the images which have been, or are subsequently, imported into the Classic catalog will automatically sync FROM Classic TO the cloud. The user needs to select images and enable them to sync should they want their Classic images in the cloud (e.g. for subseqent viewing or editing on a mobile device). But when they do enable images to sync, only Smart Previews of the Classic originals are uploaded, not the full original. Smart Previews are 2560px on the long edge, which in most cases are fine for viewing and some editing on mobile devices, and they have the advantage of NOT being included in the user's cloud storage allowance.

3. Although all editing done anywhere in the system will sync to all clients, and this includes Classic, some metadata (e.g. keywords and location data) does NOT sync between Classic and the cloud.

So, depending on what your goals are, you need to figure out the best approach for your needs. It sounds as though you'd be better off with the Photography Plan, i.e. using Classic as the main workstation. You can sync all the Classic images to the cloud for mobile access and sharing, the only thing you'd not have is "Cloud Backup"....but you don't need Adobe for that, there are several specific cloud backup options available, which would be cheaper than the $10 per month extra that you'd need to pay for the 1TB of cloud storage.

As to your comment about merging the two plans, Adobe tried that approach first, i.e. building a fully integrated cloud solution into Classic. However, they concluded that it would be too difficult and/or expensive to complete it, so decided on the current approach. The cloud syncing work that they initially did in Classic remains, but Adobe have made it clear that there won't be any new syncing features added to Classic.

If you particularly want originals stored in the cloud, but still be able to use Classic, you can do that but you'd have to be very disciplined, i.e. you must do all imports into any of the Lightroom apps so that the masters are in the cloud but a copy of them is also downloaded into Classic. You'd also have to decide where you want to do things like keywording and adding location data, as these do not sync between Classic and the cloud. Another thing you need to know is that if you delete an image from the Classic catalog it will also be deleted from the cloud, and even if you "unsync" any image in Classic it will also be deleted from the cloud. And of course, using Lightroom and Classic in this way will mean you'd double your monthly subscription as you'd need that extra 1TB of cloud space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jim Wilde 

Another great and very clear response.  Thank you. 

You caught my mistake.  You are correct when I said 'backup' - I meant 'Storage'.

I have already subscribed to the the 1TB plan with all packages (LrC, Lr, PS, etc). 

And what you described is basically what I think happened - I put everything up on Lr.  Then I needed to make a slideshow so I turned on LrC.  Now it looks like all my photos have downloaded onto my HD. 

I don't want all of these on my HD.  I want to store them in Adobe Cloud (that's why I'm paying for 1TB of storage!!) and then do a 'backup' onto my NAS.  I understand that Adobe has it's own redundancy.  I want to keep mine as well - I have a couple TB available on my NAS. 

My desire is to use the hub system you describe - and how I thought I was doing things... 

I'll go through everytthing and make sure I imported into Lr (adobe cloud).  Whatever isn't there (perhaps that 1 slideshow of 400 images) I should be able to find the originals on my HD and upload to Lr.

I think what happened is that LrC downloaded everything from Lr onto my HD.  But, I need to dig in more. 

Again, thanks for the input.  I still think I have a basic understanding of how the Lr vs LrC works.  But, I don't think Adobe has done a very good job of making the interaction between Lr and LrC seamless and intuitive.  To me, it seems like they are just attempting to cludge 2 programs together. 

But, I'm not here to complain.  I just want to clean up my photos and easily share.  I have 15 years of photos to review!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines