• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to bulk - batch rename files

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC - Renaming in bulk. This is another important feature from Lightroom which appears not to have made it (yet) to Lightroom CC.
Everyone has there own renaming strategy (don't they?). Once I have  applied keywords and corrected location details, I bulk rename to include date, location and primary keyword in the file title. OK - that may be overkill, but does help people I am selling images to.
Bulk renaming - for whatever reason and using whatever system - is an important tool for DAM and support for it in Lightroom CC would be appreciated.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
85 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Susan25434440uq8d 

This is a five-year old thread for a different product (Lightroom Desktop) - not Lightroom Classic. If you have a syncing issue with Lightroom Classic, you will be able to get help by posting in the Lightroom Classic Discussions forum.  Here is a link. 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/ct-p/ct-lightroom-classic?page=1&sort=latest_replie...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amazing that we are still talking about this, 5+ years later!! (lol) Batch Renaming is a key aspect of my photography workflow, after going through all images taken. For it not to be present in the Lightroom (mobile) app is still beyond me....

Frankly, this would speed up my workflow immensely.... If this one feature were included in the Lightroom app (not Lightroom Desktop or Bridge alone), I wouldn't have to end up dealing with having to sync images from Lightroom Classic toward Lightroom. Instead, I could just upload everything into Lightroom, then 2) reference the images to an external hard drive (as the Creative Cloud does not allow for enough space to store 10+ TB of images, like some of us photographers have). Everything would be in one "Catalog" within Lightroom, and would be very helpful and way more efficient from a syncing perspective. Secondly, I have found that it is much more efficient to share images or galleries with people via the Lightroom (mobile) app, as the sharing option is much simpler with the link being established, and allowing for the parameters to be easily set....

Hopefully Adobe will get the Batch Renaming command into Lightroom much sooner rather than later, as it helps immensely with file naming and searching for files (rather than via keywords alone). Imagine searching for files by file names that were intentionally renamed from the camera!!! In using a simple file naming nomenclature like [Client Initials Here] MM-DD-YY-0001", and searching files in this way, that should take full advantage of the Sensei searching capabilities of the app....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Honestly, syncing from Lightroom Classic into Lightroom can be done via the Collections area of the app, within the Library module; but in my experience with it, this is extremely time consuming and unnecessarily repetitive. Currently, out of the 110,000+ images and videos that I'm maintaining, I have synced a little over 40,000 of them toward Lightroom, but I'll admit: It's very, very tedious....

For one, the folder hierarchies need to be created not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES: One is the file naming system that you currently have in place in your external hard drive(s) (which you should do when importing any images into the Lightroom Classic Catalog); the second is in the Collections area of Lightroom Classic, and the third is in the Lightroom app itself.... Although when you create a New Collection in Lightroom Classic off of one of your existing folders from your external hard drive, which does show up in the Lightroom app, you still have to manually move the folder/Album into the correct spot within the Lightroom (mobile) app each and every time.... As a result, I often have both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom open on the Mac, on different screens, at the same time, just so I can make sure the folder hierarchies are current....

Honestly, this is very, very time consuming, but since I want to be able to see every picture I've ever taken without having to look in my external hard drive each time, this has been the method I've had to endure.... This is precisely why I am so, so adamant about Adobe incorporating the Batch Rename feature into the Lightroom app. From a professional standpoint, renaming files to a specific naming nomenclature (instead of the standard camera file names) to share with clients is extremely important.... That move alone (of Batch Renaming) would single-handedly allow me to 1) move my entire collection of images (as References, of course) into the Lightroom (mobile + Mac) app, and 2) it would save me a lot of time when it comes to syncing between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom.....

Honestly: I need two major things to happen with the Lightroom app in order for me to move exclusively toward it instead of having to use both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom: 1) Batch Renaming needs to be included, and 2) shooting tethered.... Now that I think about it, if the tethered feature can't be incorporated into the Lightroom app due to restrictions in referenced file dynamics (or some other complicated reason, lol), if Adobe Bridge included a tethering feature (not sure if it does), that could suffice.... That way, in terms of workflow, the tethering feature would work where 1) I'd hook the camera up to the computer, 2) I'd open up Bridge, then 3) I'd create a folder in either my computer or externally connected hard drive, 4) denote that folder to be the "hot folder" where all shots would go, then 5) begin shooting. Then, once finished, I can simply 6) go into Lightroom, 7) import the "hot folder" into Lightroom, which then 8) would start syncing immediately to all my other devices, then 9) begin editing immediately, say, on the iPad or even the phone while out in the field, 10) Batch Rename my images from any one of those devices, then 11) either share or export my files at whatever resolution I'd desire with people or the client....

That method above right there could be way, way more efficient overall from a photography perspective, but I definitely welcome you all's thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add at least the ability to rename ONE file at a time. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what i thought, yet the filename is not immaterial: Once you share an album, people will the the original filename when opening the Info-Tab. I need to get rid of guests/clients seeing the source filename as well and dont know how. Feels kind of silly to switch to LR Classic just for that very simple thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously?!???  

It's 2023  

Why the hell can I not rename my photos?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think having the ability to rename (and batch rename) is huge. It's not just file management for within CC. But if you're managing a large amount of photos that need to be moved somewhere else, being able to quickly rename them all so they could be used and sorted would be a huge timesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why this was rejected? Lightroom is just that. Is an image processing and managing app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would really like the ability to change the filename for a photo in LR Cloud Desktop.

If I have a bunch of similar photos, would be great if I could rename each of them to be able to easily tell them apart. Maybe I tried something a little different in each photo, and I'd like to be able to easily identify the differences by putting that information in the filename.

I know when I export a JPG from RAW I can give these a unique name. But the original JPGs from camera filenames cannot be changed. When in Compare view, it's almost impossible to tell which JPG is which.

This goes hand-in-hand with adding Info Overlays to all of the views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a major oversight by Adobe and speaks volumes about their lack of care for traditional standards and the professional photographic community and our workflows.  We can't just have a thousand files name IMG_1234.jpg sitting around when we export out of this closed loop system.  What on earth were you thinking when you decided - for everyone - that filenames aren't important?  I need to be able to keep my workflow, and work remotely on multiple machines and my iphone - a filename shouldn't stop that.  Wild.

Votes

Translate

Translate