• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please add smart albums

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to create smart albums (aka smart collections) in the all-new Lightroom CC. Basically, a folder that contains a set of photos based on metadata information and updates automatically. The feature set should ideally contain all the options that exist in Lightroom Classic for smart collections. Thanks!

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , tvOS: Apple TV , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
69 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Adobe will never implement this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Lightroom Classic's filter bar is too primitive. It needs more options such as the ones discussed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make Smart Album feature on Lightroom mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most important features 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring "smart album" (or "saved search") to Lightroom CC.

This works great in Lightroom Classic.

I organize all my pictures with keywords and would like to be able to define albums/filters like ">=3 stars AND keywords contain hiking".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom search 

Hi

Can someone explain to me how multiple search terms / filters work? 

It seems like multiple filters of a type are treated as OR where as filters of different types are AND.

Except for search terms which are always AND? 

This creates some unintuitive behaviour (IMO) 

So for example If I search for "Tree" "Car" I see pictures that match the intersection of Tree and Car (in any Sensi Keywords, tagged keywords, and I'll assume any other indexed fields) 

Okay, now if I Filter by location or locations what I get is results matching the following 

"Tree" && "Car" && ( Location: "India" || Location: "England") 

If I now filter by camera or cameras I get results matching the following

"Tree" && "Car" && ( Location: "India" || Location: "England") && ( Camera: "<camera a>" || Camera: "<camera b>")

This I can understand even though its counter intuitive, it does get odd when a search term (not a filter) is the name of a person / keyword.

So firstly have I understood correctly?

Now some more confusion, again an example

Person:A Person:B == Person:A || Person:B 

Where as "A" Person:B == Person:A && Person:B  (assuming A doesn't match other tags else be becomes (Person:A || keyword:A) && Person:B)

This means you can't search for Photos with 2 people in unless you use a Text Search and a Person Filter.

i.e "Mary" person:Bob results in and AND but Person:Mary Person:Bob results in an OR.

But if I use “Mary” “Bob” as a text search, I get nothing.

Both “Mary” and “Bob” will return results individually. 

So I am obviously missing some detail on how this does / doesn’t work.

Now you can do a 3 person Search using the following

Start in a person via the people view, (i.e. Mary)
Then search for “Bob” this gives you photos with Mary and Bob in, then filter by “Jane” and you only see Photos of Mary , Bob & Jane.

But 3 is your limit.

I ideally would like the ability to search for multiple people or other terms (but I could live with people to start) simply by writing a query.

I can do this with temp albums  but that shouldn’t be needed.
I’d really like a not operator as well.
i.e Mary & Jane but not Bob

Note this is possible in classic via a search or Smart collection (Oh I wish Lightroom had Smart Albums) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy this has been merged would still be nice to hear from Adobe if this is expected behaviour 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to the software.  Be nice if you could save searches, perhaps in the sidebar underneath the albums.  I find myself running the same searches repeatedly and feel like I must be missing something but apparently not.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Albums would be enormously helpful. Being able to create a Smart Album based on being a Pick, Rating, or Tag means we can created auto-filtering albums for our selects, images we want to submit to Stock, or images we want to put on our Portfolio Site.

It would need three key features:

1. be based on saved search criteria
  2. be able to be filtered to target one or a subset of albums
  3. be able to be referenced as a source in Stock, Portfolio and Spark

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrated to have seen so little growth in lightroom cloud.  if I can quick filter by keywords, cameras, etc. why not let us just save those filters as a smart album.  It'd be so simple! 

And while we're at it, why are filtering options so incredibly limited when there is so much metadata in each photo.  Can't even filter by date!  

Adobe is turning away more and more professionals.  I may be one of them soon.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted the same kind of question comment and an Admin immediately moved it here so that it would be buried instead of show up in the main feed of the forums, or as an additional search term. 

How about Adobe actually address some of these pretty simple requests instead of flagging them and moving them all to a thread that is several years old and clearly ignored.  

Even if for some reason they can't get around to adding these features, they could at least have the courtesy to actually address us.  

Instead of white washing your forums to preserve your image, how about you improve your products.  So infuriating to be treated like this by so called quality assurance personnel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@skizip Posts aren't merged to bury them... exactly the opposite in fact. If all of the votes for the same request are combined into a single thread, it shows that a lot of people want the same feature and it stands a better chance of being prioritized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which 3rd party plug in are you using?  thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's not sync.  that's just the ability to manually update. a subtle but very big difference as one requires an entire 2nd step by the user. no ability to scale, no thought for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I've moved a lot of photos to Adobe Lightroom (from Lightroom CC, Photos (Apple), Flickr, Dropbox. I really like it that I now have all my photos in 1 place, easily accessible everywhere. 

BUT what I miss the most is the ability to make smart selections (like in Lightroom CC).
AND an easy way to remove duplicates since I've got a lot of them. With Lightroom CC this was easily doable with plugins but I can't find any for Lightroom.

Are there any plans to add such features, or does anyone know how to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I find extremely useful the current pivots and filters to look for images in LR Cloud, I'd appreciate the capability to save commonly used searches, which could give place to smart albums where you filter for specific dates, people, location, keywords, camera, etc. I end up creating a tedious amount of albums for this purpose that I have to manually keep updating (e.g. foodie, a certain place, birthdays, etc). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least you could begin with a saved search capability, which we could save as a dynamic album. Then you could add logic as in smart folders. Even this small step will make wonders and I don't envision too much effort on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any baby step forward would be nice. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One great feature to add to Lightroom CC would be DYNAMIC ALBUMS (like the dynamic playlists in iTunes):

You create an album with several criteria, like keywords, people, or location.

And the folder gets updated automatically when new photos are added to Lightroom, or new keywords are added on a photo. So you don't need to add the photos to the album or folder manually.

In effect, the album would be a bit like a saved search.

Examples: your family, a group of friend, a specific location where you come back regularly, a specific topic you like (Sports)....

Many thanks

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a really fundamental feature in my eyes. I know we can go to LrC for all the organizational tools we could ever want but shouldn't there be some middle ground here, between everything in LrC and basically nothing in Lr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

technically that's easy but the benefit for us users would be insane, so please adobe team: DO IT 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's almost 2022, 5 years after the original OP made this post. Still no smart album in lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... I thought I was getting old not being able to figure out how to create "dynamic albums"/"smart folders" based on things like rating. Turns out this basic basic feature is still missing after a half decade?! I'm baffled

Votes

Translate

Translate