Exit

P: Generated images violate user guidelines

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bunny.png

image (1).png

So as you can see, it's a PG-13 relatively inoffensive image of a woman in a bunny outfit. The top worked fine, and I was able to complete the top ear, which is cool. When I tried to extend the bottom with generative fill, though, I got this warning. They're just a pair of legs wearing stockings, and I wanted to extend it.

It feels like a false flag - though I could be wrong? I find myself thinking it would do the same for women in swimsuits.

Figured I'd share here.

Bug Started Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Dear Community,

On November 7th, 2023, the Firefly for Photoshop service was updated and improved for this issue. You should encounter fewer guideline errors when working on or near skin-tone areas that do not violate the community guidelines.

While the improvement is a big step in the right direction, we are continuing to explore new ways to minimize false-positives. Please continue to give us feedback on this new forum thread and also report false violation errors in the application.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1376 Replies 1376
1,375 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too many guideline errors for perfectly safe photos. examples included. The issue is that if Adobe ever bans users for violating Guidelines, these mistakes on the algorithom for detecting violations couls affect many users. Plus it might deter users from using the AI Generative Fill because they might think that Adobe is misclasifying their work as NSFW. Images with errors that are unthinlkable that they were clasiffied as Guideline Violations. Ant Masks of area to de generated included in image files for your review and fixing the issueAdobe Guidelines Error Mistakes 03 flattened.jpgAdobe Guidelines Error Mistakes 03.jpgAdobe Guidelines Error Mistakes 04.jpgAdobe Guidelines Error Mistakes 01.jpgAdobe Guidelines Error Mistakes 02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin. Sure. I did find a work around. 

My question was that of genuine surprise. The most innocent birthday photo possible (I trust you have seen it attached). I didn't enter any prompt -- so I thing that Adobe could get worried about. And the job was just to fill in blanks. 

Ok, I've had these warning when I asked to fill in with fire, sometimes arms, sometimes ethnic dress -- all for my in no way harming work flow, but at least I see why the algorithm was overly conservative there. 

But with my wife's birthday pic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone from Adobe could explain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't but agree. Just posted recently the same comment. I wanted to fill in blank parts with no prompt at all at my wife's innocent birthday party picture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @alberts19067249 this is a beta - you are testing new technology. There are not expectations of a perfect result as the AI learns. One of the limitations noted was that adding no prompt is causing the AI to come up with non-approved generative results. Adding a simple text prompt like "fill in blanks" etc. bypasses the issue.

As this progresses I'm sure newer versions will start to address and improve on this first version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real issue is that we do not know if Adobe is taking tallies of people who violate user guidelines and ban them in the future. Many photographers that are doing Safe For Work images will be classified as NSFW and could be banned from using the AI Generative Fill eventhough we are following the guidelines 100%. This is an issue that in my opinion has to be fixed ASAP. If all my images that comply with the guidelines are being misclassified why would I use the feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, thank you. This explanation does make sense. (And coincidentally means that AI is naughty itself 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @silvergraphicsmedia try adding a simple prompt to bypass the error. There have been noted issues of errors when no prompt is entered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I assume there can be many reasons. One could be that this is a Beta Version and not all possibilities for Error-Messages are coded into so the beta uses some kind of generic answer. Also it could be that the area that is filled is to large (the maximum size at this point in the beta is around 1024 Pixels at the longer side for best results) so maybe try portions of the outer area and fill them one portion at a time. In some Livestreams that gets the best results I saw. But again, right now its in Beta and in the Final Version all can be changed.

HenrikHeigl_0-1685648114122.png

Also you can and should use the Beaker icon on the Top right to report those Bugs that it can be fixed and the Developers learn about it. That helps everyone.

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@silvergraphicsmedia also this is a gen 1 beta. All the issues being noted etc are helpful, not being tallied against users. Adobe is aware of the "no prompt" violations and it is a bug. As future beta releases come out, hopefully this and other false flags will improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote fill and it messed up and created a dark blob, but then I wrote extend in the prompt and it worked. Thank you, but still adobe has to work on the issue. Thank you for the input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@silvergraphicsmedia thats the whole point of a beta. Learn from user feedback. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had one of my own pictures up taken last week. I tried to remove people by generating with a blank field. Had to give up as i was violting guidelines ? What ??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Graham24508943nobd try entering a prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was when I was trying to extend a picture of a cat in a church 😄 

345033215_291608463295348_188175315505853349_n.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mukatsuku try entering a prompt "extend background"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many lifetimes ago I worked with Autonomy and the Scunthorpe issue was exactly how we sold it - thanks for revisiting the memory!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to say I love that piece 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design, but when I try to extend a suit to generatively fill in a frame, I get a notification of being in violation of the rules. 

odd violation message.jpg

Is it his questionable fashion sense that violates the rules to fill in the white area at the bottom. This has happened with multiple photos. Just letting you know.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When everyone was complaining about how the generative fill text box was greyed out a month back, we eventually determined it was due to a requirement that adobe restrict this new feature to users, under 18 years. Without planning how that sort of thing would actually work, they inadvertantly restricted the feature from anyone who started with creative cloud, prior to age verification. No biggie, sign into behance and document your age. Problem solved. 

However, this gives the impression that those over the age of 18 will not have restrictions placed on them.

As many of your users have likely discovered by this point, this is not the case. As far as I can tell, the same range of words are restricted for children, as they are for adults.

This begs the question, if everything's going to be G-rated, for all users, regardless of age, what's the point of having an age verification process, at all? And more importantly, why would a company which provides artisitic tools to users dabble in censorship? There's already a way to verifiy who the adults are, so why would you regulate adults? especially in the art world? I understand that if the software is meant for a corporate environment, that you don't want your employees producing imagry that can potentially make their work colleagues uncomfortable, feel harrassed, etc... but that can easiliy be handled through a corporate-controlled admin toggle. Why regulate the types of imagery adult artists, in the private sector, can generate? It presents itself as fascist. What business does a software company have censoring adults? Nudes have always been a major aspect of art and illustration. The human body can teach you invaluable lessons in line, form and composition. Why censor that? It sets an outlandish precedent. 

Adobe, you abosolutely should protect children from violence, nudity, sex, etc... parents should decide how to present these realities to their children, at a pace that's comfortable to them, but stop playing morality-police to you adult user base. Concentrate on providing us with a product, and leave your prudish life philosophies out of it. You're not our mothers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional boudoir and womans portrait photographer, imagine how excited I was to try out the new Generative Fill to help with my work. What an amazing tool! --And boy, it only took a short time for this excitement to turn to complete frustration.  Like others, I was rewarded with nothing but notices that my images "violated user guidelines." I can't begin to state how exasperating this can be-- knowing you are going to be locked out of such an amazing tool.  Forget about trying to change the color/style of a woman's outfit, lingerie, or using the word "bra"... I even mean trying to change/edit backgrounds, or other aspects of an image that contain a woman in lingerie. I understand this is a new tool, but as software that serves a massive community of artists and creators-- removing this ability to create based on some crippling draconian AI censorship is a step backwards. I seriously hope this changes.  The creatives of the world aren't just people removing telephone lines from a landscape photo. Shouldn't I be able to determine my own level of safety?..at leat to some degree? Somehow I feel that I should be able to locally set my threshold of what I feel is OK.. being the work is on my private work PC.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i can't use Generative Fill ... i can make all process but when the progress is done i get an error msg, something about Violate User Guidelines ... 
Im not using any prompt.

Im trying fill the background 

I dont know why...

Update: If i use a prompt, it work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the user violating the guidelines. It's the naughty bot. Since this has happened to me even on totally random objects (for example, I was attempting to remove a feeding tube taped to the cheek of a newborn because the mother wanted some images of her baby without it), I'm sure it's a bug that will eventually get worked out. But, in the meantime, Adobe should adjust the wording of the violation warning to assure us the issue is on their end, not ours. P.S. I did finally get the feeding tube removed with some creative selecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

error02.pnggetting same error whenever I try on this pic as well. Also with a goat ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip!  I used the prompt "Fill this space" with the selected area I wanted to change, and it did returned a half decent result!! (wanted to remove a coffee cup covering the elbow of person and the pasts of a hand that were covered by glass. After so many of 'violating guidelines' efforts, seeems like this little trick may be the start of being able to modify the image using Generative Fill. Image used for this test is included.GenerativeFill-Prompt_RLB_June01-2023.jpg

Rocío López-Bretzlaff

Votes

Translate

Translate