• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic>Edit in PS: Long Delay+Erroneous Error Message opening Ps Beta 2024 25.0

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently updated Photoshop Beta to 2024 v25.0 on my Windows 11 machine.

Now when I try to open photos from LR 12.4 using the "edit in...", it hangs up for a time and then comes up saying "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2024 could not be launched."

When I hit "Ok" it then opens the file in Photoshop 2024. 

This happens with every file, even if Photoshop 2024 is already up and running at the time. 

This does not happen with 2023 v24.7.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Greetings all,

Lightroom Classic 12.5 released this evening.  If used in conjunction with PS Beta 25.0 or later, this erroneous error message plus long open wait time should be mitigated. Please install LrC 12.5 and make certain that your Beta is up to date.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

This thread will be

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1160 Replies 1160
1,160 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I can open an NEF file directly into Photoshop, but if I try to open the same file through Lightroom into Photoshop, it doesn't work. Therefore, it's not a file format issue as some of the comments elsewhere claim, but rather a problem with the handoff from LrC to Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried my work around so you can use both PS beta and PSC? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to my fix. I point the second open into the old PS EXE. I open the pic in that then save (as Tif) then Open PS beta 2024. If I get a notice, I move the tif file in Windows explorer so PS beta will not overwrite it. See my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue since the latest update, using MacOS Ventura 13.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get exactly the same with Photoshop 24:  Lr spends an age deciding Ps 2024 can't be found so it can't open the file - then, I click OK and it goes ahead and opens it in Ps 2024 Beta.  Which, in my case, is what I want - but I don't want the 3 minute wait on every file and/or the complete refusal to open several images in a stack of layers, etc.  Furthermore, if I try and get Explorer (Windows 11) to change the default program from Ps 2024 to the Beta version by selecting the .exe file inside the Beta folder, it still choses to keep the non-Beta program as default.  What is needed is the dropdown in Lr Preferences to give everyone the option to chose Beta or non-Beta - not abdicating responsibility for your options relating to Adobe's own software to somebody else's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix. If you want to use beta and photoshop 24 and beta is the default editing program (which you can change in Lr preferences, just open photoshop 24 on its own. When you want to edit a photo from Lr et choose edit photo in photoshop, Lr will ask you if you wish to edit with Ps 24 instead. If you chose so, it will open the file in Ps 24 and if you choose Cancel, it will open in beta. If you want Ps 24 to be default editor, go into preferences and choose photoshop 24 as editor. And you can do the same thing then by opening beta on its own. When you will edit in Ps 24 via Lr, it will offer to use beta also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish it were that easy. Actually it used to be that easy. Up until
version 25.0 LR sent the file either to PS 24.6 or PS beta. Now it
doesn't anymore. In my opinion this is due to the different Version
labels. PS 24 is still labeled as 2023 and PS beta ist 2024.
I had to remove the beta version completely - and now it works in PS
24.7 at least as normal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem exporting files from lr to ps.

i get this message: 

"The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop (Beta) could not be launched"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent update of photoshop beta keep crashing when opening an image from lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone from Adobe actually read these, or are we just spitting in the wind?
I did switch back to an earlier version of Photoshop, which solved the problem. But I just got a message that a new version is available. Is this a new CORRECTED version, or is it just reminding me that I don't have the most current broken version? Who knows? But not updating foe awhile. Lost too many hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that I am not able to open a file from Lightroom into PS. PS does launch and open if not already launched, but the file is not loaded into PS. I tried going back to LR 12.3 and the problem persists. It was working just last week before travels. I remember just before leaving that CC had a minor update. I don't know how to revert CC to previous versions. But I'm wondering is that could be the culprit, as LR and PS have not updated but CC did have a minor update and now I cannot right click, ctrl click, or in menu send a file from LR to PS. I've tried JPEGs, TIFFs, DND and raw files. They open fine when sent to other 3rd party plugins or applications. But PS opens and the file is not loaded. I have to manually import the image file in some manner. Any ideas? I've checked permissions and they are fine. I could use Time Machine to roll back the CC app to sometime earlier, perhaps, but not sure what files are modified when its installed as it's a library of sorts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently installed PS beta. After a recent update of Beta and PS2023 I am now unable to send photos to either photoshop as Lightroom Classic reports unable to open PS2024????  I tried adding my version of the "proper" PS as an alternative editor but now I can not load photos as layers if I choose that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from cc bugs>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that I am not able to open a file from Lightroom into PS. PS does launch and open if not already launched, but the file is not loaded into PS. I tried going back to LR 12.3 and the problem persists. It was working just last week before travels. I remember just before leaving that CC had a minor update. I don't know how to revert CC to previous versions. But I'm wondering is that could be the culprit, as LR and PS have not updated but CC did have a minor update and now I cannot right click, ctrl click, or in menu send a file from LR to PS. I've tried JPEGs, TIFFs, DND and raw files. They open fine when sent to other 3rd party plugins or applications. But PS opens and the file is not loaded. I have to manually import the image file in some manner. Any ideas? I've checked permissions and they are fine. I could use Time Machine to roll back the CC app to sometime earlier, perhaps, but not sure what files are modified when its installed as it's a library of sorts.

The only exception I can find is that if I select "open as smart object in PS" the file does indeed open as a smart object. An interesting side note to that is if I simply close the file in PS, an error 21 shows up. So something is going on that I can't quite figure out here, but it is affecting the normally smooth process of opening a file in LR into PS for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have ps beta installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je suis revenu à la version 24.6 de PS et tout est OK maintenant !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an M1 Mac version 16.6 running Lightroom Classic 12.4 and Photoshop beta 25.0. I was having issues opening photos from lightroom to Photoshop, and I received an error message "could not open Photoshop", I was finally able to open a photo as a smart object but when I tried to save it I got an error 21. Talk to tech support and they had me go back to Photoshop beta 24.9, which fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well one issue is not being able to right click > edit in from lightroom to PS Beta.

Branched to new thread from unrelated thread.

Subject changed for clarity. Was "When will Generative Fill be present in the regular version?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update of PS Beta I have had difficulty editing files from LR in PS. PS opens, but the image from LR doesn't. After several attempts I get a popup saying that LR can't prepare the file. But then it does. Never had this problem until the last few days. It happens both with files edited using the new LR AI Noise enhancement and those without, so that doesn't appear to be the issue. Anyone else having similar issues? Any suggestions to fix this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the most recent version of Lightroom Classic along with Photoshop and I'm unable to open multiple images as layers in Photoshop. Photo does open but that's it…the relevant images don't transfer from Lightroom to Photoshop. I did have the Photoshop Beta installed and uninstalled that thinking that it may have been causing some sort of conflict. Uninstalling the beta did not solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had this problem until the past few days.  Basicly August 1, 2023.  All updated and I'm running them on an updated M1 Macbook Pro with 32mb ram. Photoshop opens but no picture.  Any ideass  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do. The problem exists there as well. When I make the beta version the default external editor in LR Classic, and then try and open a file in PS Beta, it launches PS Beta and the image is not opened. IT has to be opened manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from cc services>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community bugs">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from cc desktop>

Votes

Translate

Translate