• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contextual Task Bars Now in Photoshop (Beta)

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’re excited to announce that new contextual task bars are now available in Photoshop Public Beta. We know that finding the right tool, at the right time, can sometimes slow down a great workflow. Our new contextually aware task bars aim to help by providing common tools, actions and next steps right on the canvas where you’re working. We are currently launching five bars for importing new documents, making selections and using the Type Tool. Learn more below: 

Open Image or File

• This bar will appear when you open an image or file in Photoshop (i.e. not a new, empty document)

NoelleShamroukh_0-1679959585915.png

New Document Workflow

• This bar will appear if you open a new, blank document from the Photoshop home screen

NoelleShamroukh_6-1679010740627.png

• If you choose to select “import image”, your image will be placed in the document as a Smart Object and the Free Transform bar will appear to help finalize placement

NoelleShamroukh_1-1679007583143.png

Type Tool Workflow

• This bar will appear when you select the Type tool from the tool bar and draw a text box on the canvas

NoelleShamroukh_2-1679007583147.png

Selections Workflow

• Once a selection is made, a selection edit bar will appear with options to refine the selection or create a mask

NoelleShamroukh_4-1679007583152.png

Tips and Other Menu Functionality

NoelleShamroukh_5-1679007583155.png

• Pin bar position
    • You can pin and un-pin any bar from the “more menu”. Pinning will hold your bar (and all subsequent bars) where it was placed on the canvas until un-pinned from the “more menu” performed
  • Reset bar position
    • The context bar moves with you as you work on the canvas, keeping relevant tools at your finger tips. If you would like to reset the position, you can do so from the “more menu”
  • Hide bar
    • You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely, or temporarily, from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

We need your feedback!

Please let us know what you think and how we could improve the new Contextual Task Bar.

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 241 Replies 241
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested again, and I guess I didn't actually pin it last time. It is per session, and not per image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to keep this [cursing removed] thing off my workspace, PERMANENTLY?!? I have 3 monitors, my center monitor is reserved for my workspace, all my other menus and panels live on the side monitors. If I move this thing to one of the side monitors and pin it, it will stay for the session, but it goes back to being right in the [cursing removed] workspace every time photoshop is started. Worse still, is this seems to be a PER-IMAGE setting, so if I open one image and move the bar, then open another image, the bar for THAT image is right back in the workspace exactly where I do not want it.

I do not get the logic of this. Virtually every other tool is dockable, and all of them work across multiple images and DO NOT MOVE, but why is THIS one special that it NEEDS to be front and center in my workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much of Adobe addressing this amongst their tons of other "more important" tasks...
Still waiting (like so many other folks) for I-don't-even-remember-anymore-how-long that Adobe finally nixes that totally stupid behavior when using the clone stamp tool and selecting a source but clicking twice to fast and the "Aligned" checkbox at the top gets enabled. I never ever use the "Aligned" option and don't really like that feature but constantly have to uncheck it after I set a clone source by clicking twice too fast.

STUPIDO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment this thing feels like another nuissance catering to new people flooding in.

It could be better if...

- it was dockable/pinnable

- if someday we can decide on which events it pops up

- if someday we can decide what choices it gives us

Vaguely related, I've long been wishing for an action step that will display a temporary message, so I can be reminded of aspects/suggestions w/o having to close a stop dialog with that info. This pop-over tech is now clearly integrated into PS, so please let us use it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Every single update they do, caters to new photoshop users which makes the long term value of customers go down and down. If procreate EVER makes a desktop version, I may be switching teams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a fan. I've hidden it permanently. Hide it with the eye under Keyboard short cuts and Menus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click the three dots and "Hide". That's all it takes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The taskbar does not need to be there for every session.

I hide it, and I assign a hotkey (Cmd Shift .) to being it up when needed for the session instead of going into the Window menu to fetch it. If it stays put wherever I drag it for the session, I can deal with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out a way to permanently dock it in a specific position vs having to move each and every new session? I would like the location to be "sticky" and always be at the upper right where I pin it (if I'm going to use it at all) - b/c it's really annoying to have to deal with it and move it each time now. I even tried writing an action but either did something wrong or it's not doable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it is a damned nuisance. You can't do anything with an Action as you can't make an Action for a Menu item, but as a few people have said, you can assign a Keystroke combination to the Menu Item and Hide/Unhide the CTB.

That way you can get it back when you like and Hide the blasted thing again. I have now been trying it out and rather than being helpfully Contextual it just appears exactly where I want to work,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY BOTHER having a --- option to 'dock it' - if it has amnesia?
So annoying that you can't just put it in a spot in the workspace and LEAVE IT THERE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the Pin bar position to fixed Contextual Task Bar position and close Photoshop and reopened,
the Contextual Task Bar will return to its original default position instead of the pinned position.

Is this a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C27618681pmp5 don't think it's a bug, but it would be nice if it stayed in the position that you pinned it to, you can of put in a feature request in the Idea's section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done,I hope the developers will watch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link so we can  upvote? The current state is very distracting and if there's a "pin bar", it's a no-brainer that it has to persist between sessions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alex.furer looks like OP's post was merged into this thread, you'll find his near the bottom

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/contextual-task-bars-now-in-photoshop-beta...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to make the contextual Task Bar's lock position a default? It would be set and remained locked in the position set by the user. And upon relaunch and the opening of documents that position would remain until unlocked by the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this beta. One small gripe is that the contextual toolbar appears exactly where I want to click next at least a third of the time. It's annoying to have to keepdragging it out the way. Perhaps it could appear further away from the mouse position or the point of the last edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been using the beta version of Photoshop for a week now. I really like generative fill. Excellent at removing elements from more complicated situations. I have one suggestion. I love context bar but it gets in the way when working on image. I wish I could lock it to bottom or corner. It keeps moving in front of image and many times I have to drag it out of the way while I'm working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean like this?  Check the 3 dot dropdown menu.

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 4.12.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only pins it per-session though. Once you close PS and open it again, it's back to getting in the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This appears to be fixed in the latest release - 

Please update to the latest Ps beta - Adobe Photoshop Version: 24.7.0 20230712.m.2239 0f0768a x64

If you are still having issues, try wipeing your CCD:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using version Adobe Photoshop Version: 24.7.2 20231019.r.832 02eb301 x64 and STILL can't pin that toolbar so it stays put permanantly.    Every single time I open PS, it's back in the middle of my workspace.  SO very annoying.  Is there really no hope for pinning this thing out of the way so it stays there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines