• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Layer Mask Icons in 25.1

Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone has asked about this in the main Photoshop forum.  I'd not opened 25.1 and can't find any information — like a what's new.  @CoryShubert can you explain how the new layer mask icons work?  Thanks.

image.png

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Hi all - happy to announce that this feature has been added as an option in the latest public release 25.2. Update your Photoshop 2024 to access via the Layers Panel Menu.

BONUS - it was off by default after update.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1701125553192.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop Beta, I'm seeing a new format for layer mask icons, which displays a small square graphic positioned in the lower right-hand corner of the mask icon.  Does anyone know the purpose of this?  I don't like it at all because it obscures part of the layer mask icon.  I can't see what purpose it serves; clicking on it directly is no different than clicking anywhere else on the icon.  Hopefully someone can fill me in on the reason/purpose of this "improvement."  And better yet... how to turn it off!

Thanks, David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have to guess without seeing a screen shot.  Is it one of these?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I guess the addition of this new graphic is to be able to differentiate between different types of layer masks.  I still don't like it, and hope Adobe gives us the option to turn it off.  I now have to use a larger icon thumbnail so that the mask area isn't obscured as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that's actually new to me.  I stopped using the beta version when they consolidated the beta features into the full release version, but there has been another beta update since then which I have not yet opened (because MAX is on, and I have been following it online).  So thise layer mask icon is completely new to me.

I have started a thread in the Photop beta forum and tagged one of the Adobe beta team guys asking for help, so  if you follow that thread, you'll find out when I do.'

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/layer-mask-icons-in-25-1/m-p/14150232#M115...

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to remove icon from layer mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @NIRVAN SILK M33179621rlu1

The latest version of Photoshop beta now has an option to remove the layer mask badges in Layers Panel Options.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @NIRVAN SILK M33179621rlu1

Read this thread.  The answer is a few posts up from yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that option isnt available to me. "Show layer mask badges" does not appear when I open the Layers Panel Options box, just the first four options. I'm on 25.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, put the option to "turn off" those stupid and obtrusive icons to the regular release ASAP!
And please stop messing the UI with those new features that no one asked for!!!

I usually work with many layers (and small layer thumbnails therefore) - this is so annoyng.
It actually hides 25% of the visible thumbnail, very stupid idea!

Focus to fix REAL probblems, e.g.:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/color-value-selection-problem-on-color-picke...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Team - please add an option to remove the new little square layer mask symbol - it is ruining the part of the layer mask which is in use all the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please turn this nonsense off! We do not need an icon that shows there's i a regular mask beneath. It's an icon for an icon 🫣 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new icon is terrible, I often use Photoshop on my Wacom HD13 and I need a UI as clean an simple as possible. Please give us the possibility to switch it off on PS 25.1.0!

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Green 

Unfortunately, the Panel option to turn on/off the new Layer Mask Badges doesn't stay off after Ps is relaunched.

It needs to be sticky like the other Panel options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This little mask icon really is a big nuisance, heres hoping Adobe will remove this icon or provide users a way to toggle it on and off. There are so many fixes that need to be addressed, why would Adobe spend time on adding something that I'm certain no one asked for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a(nother) misunderstanding by Adobe how we use photoshop, and masks in perticular.

Please restore asap. Adobe is getting so anoying to work with it as a pro. Not only in photoshop.

New indesign (19) not accepting settings from previous version is one of them. This should be tried and tested.

Pantone pluginn is unworkable, and we have to pay extra when it was always past of the system.

And so on. We are not a test platform, these are pro tools.

So get your act together. ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am completely new to photoshop and that icon just started showing up. What does it mean? It shows up anytime a create a mask or solid color layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe refers to these icons as 'badges', and they diferentiate between normal raster and vector masks, which is useful for designers who use a lot of vector content.   I have the thumnails set to large (see second screen shot), and if you have the screenspace, these make the badges a lot less intrusive.

image.png

The latest beta version (V25.2 m.2374) has the option to turn off the badges in the Layer Panel Options. and I am sure this will be added to the full release version in due course.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. That was helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me how do I get to the Layers Panel Options. I can't find it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the menu of the Layers-window. (The '3 bars icon' in Top Right)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me how do I get to the Layers Panel Options. I can't find it

By @Tanja33394202why3

Note: The option to disable the layer mask badges is only available in Photoshop 25.2 beta at this stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I change something in the layers palette, the previews in the channels palette are not updated. Only when I manually click on the RGB channel with the mouse does the view of the thumbnails refresh.

OSX Ventura, M1 (with my old MacPro the same problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us who's this genius please i wanna pledge absolute submission to this master of design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone promoted from Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep...terrible idea by PS wizards. I think everyone wants the normal looking mask icon so they can get a rough idea what the mask looks like. Disable permanently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines