• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Select Tool is causing shape to be transformed.

Participant ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suppose I have a Vertically-oriented hexagon such that there are three vertices are beneath the center of the shape, and three above (as opposed to a horizontally-oriented hexagon where two vertices are on the centerline).

If I select any individual vertex with the Direct-Select tool, I can move that vertex around without issue. If I select Two adjacent vertices, again: I can move those two vertices around without issue....

If I select *three* adjacent vertices, such as the bottom three, if I try to move the vertices around, the entire shape gets stretched, affecting the vertices that weren't selected.

I have no idea when this bug became a thing.
I am on 24.7.0 on Windows 10 right now.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wat.pngExample

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.... it seems to only do this until I follow *some* sequence of events, at which point, the verts are capable of moving as intended. I do not know what the sequence of events is, nor is there any reflection of the change of state in the UI.

I'm *assuming* that it has to do with the fact that this is a Regular Polygon shape rather than an arbitrary shape that happens to be of the same shape as a regular polygon - and so it's attempting to maintain the editability of that Regular Polygon - ie: changing the number of sides, etc.

but: here's the problem: there is no obvious mechanism to release photoshop's grip on the Regular Polygon so that I can edit it how *I* want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... oh this is even worse than I first thought...

It seems that this is also tied into holding down shift to try to constrain movement to a given axis...
and bear in mind: I *want* to hold down shift in order to make sure that the vertices moving stay constrained on the vertical axis, so the second procedure is actually not an option.

Robert29264429yt0q_0-1692052911008.png

Furthermore,

when dragging along without the shift key and I happent to hit a snap-point, say, the vertical centerline of the canvas, and where I moved to happen to be horizontally aligned as though it *were* constrained, I get this:

Robert29264429yt0q_1-1692053023387.png

not only is this an inconsistent implementation, it's arbitrary, with no mechanism to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still fighting with this - but gods if I haven't gotten half a dozen popups mid-workflow nagging me about some AI feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in v25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in 25.1 and there's still no way to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in 25.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Sorry about the issues with working with shapes and I appreciate your adding of screenshots to the posts. 

Wondering if you've been able to land on any specific set of steps to reproduce this one?

Am testing with 25.6 and haven't been able to reproduce the hexagon issue while moving 3 anchor points. Not sure if I understood the other scenario. 

If you can help with some clear steps to reproduce, perhaps a video of the issue, that would be super helpful to track this one down and log for the team to investigate a fix for.

Get back with more detail when you can.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how much more detail I can go into that I haven't already explained.

Create a hexgon.
Select three verts using Direct Select tool.
Move those three verts while holding down shift and the hexagon will scale on that axis instead of those three verts moving.

- OR - 

Move those three verts *without* holding down shift, and the hexagon will *sometimes* scale on that axis and *sometimes* those three verts will move as expected - it seems that when the verts are moved parallel to the edges of the hexgon and smart-snapping takes over, the hexagon will scale. Further, *sometimes* the other three verts will move as though the hexagon were scaled on that axis, but the three selected verts will not.... In other words, photoshop cannot make up its mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

still an issue in 25.9

Votes

Translate

Translate