• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Photoshop 2023, the zoom tool on Ctrl+Space does not work correctly.

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2023, the zoom tool on Ctrl+Space does not work correctly.

Windows 10

Photoshop 2023(24.3/24.4.1)

1. I have not tried many things until I reproduce it completely, but the symptoms are as follows.
Zooming is not smooth. Zooming is not smooth, rattles.
Clicks stay clicked (mouse and keys are dragged even when they are released).

This is a pattern that is sure to cause a bug.
Turn Windows Ink ON/OFF. It is not that the bug appears either way, but the bug appears when you switch ON/OFF several times.
However, the bug occurs even if Windows Ink is not switched ON/OFF. In this case, reproducibility is unknown.

2. Things we noticed.
The bug often occurs when using pen tablets (Wacom Cintiq 16, Huion canvas pro 13, Huion canvas pro 16).
Once the bug occurs, it also occurs with mouse operation. The bug returns to normal after rebooting, but it occurs again while working.
The bug occurs after a certain period of time without operating Windows Ink. I think the workload is high because I have more than 4K psd files open in multiple tabs, but the problem also occurs with a single psd.

At least with photoshop 2023 (v24.3 and v24.4.1) the problem is not resolved.
With photosohp 2022 the problem does not occur, so I am currently using 2022.

I hope this will be improved in the next version as I always use it for retouch and drawing work.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ynakamura 

Go to Preferences/Tools and disable flick panning and overscroll - does the issue still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is still occuring in the latest version and it makes working very difficult. Photoshop v24.5.

This problem is not present in v23.5.5.

I have disabled Flick Panning and Overscroll. Issue still occurs. I renabled Overscroll only because I like to use that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert ,

When I try the hotkey Ctrl + Spacebar the animate zoom doesn't work but when I press Shift + Ctrl + Spacebar it does? Why did this change? Also the zoom stutters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, curious what happens if:

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and enable “Older GPU mode (pre 2016)” - Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not fix the issue, also I have a RTX 3080 TI Graphics card and the latest Photoshop Version 24.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: if you press the spacebar first and then the CTRL key it allows you to use scrubby zoom. Very weird.

Hopefully there's a way to change it back to CTRL key + Spacebar for scrubby zoom vs Spacebar + CTRL key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert 

The configuration of the PC is described in some detail.
Windows 10 Version 22H2
RTX 3060 Driver Version 531.61
11th Gen Intel Corei7-11700K

Thank you all for your comments.

Unfortunately, disabling overscroll and flick pan did not change the problem.
The same is true for the latest 24.5.

I went back and forth between 2022 (23.5.5) and 2023 (24.5) to try the same settings and add a few more things I noticed.

1. The bug is still definitely caused by turning WindowsInk on and off.
2. It is certain that repeating ON/OFF causes the problem, but it is not clear at what timing the bug occurs. Is it ON or OFF at startup? We tried several patterns, but could not reproduce the problem.
I don't think the bug occurs when the mouse is used only. The pen tab is connected, but if the pen is not brought to the active area even once after starting Photoshop, the rattling of the zoom does not occur.
The following problem with the hand tool always occurs even when operating only with the mouse.

2. The hand tool (Space key) may also behave incorrectly.
Space key > left click + Drag > end of operation. If it is a single operation, there seems to be no problem.
However, Space key > left click + Drag > left click + Drag > left click + Drag.... If you hold down the Space key and repeat Left Click + Drag, the problem occurs.
At some point, the left mouse button remains clicked, and the hand tool continues to execute even though neither the space key nor the left mouse button is released.
This seems to be identical to one of the bugs I reported at the beginning, but I am not sure if it is related to the zoom rattling issue, but I have a feeling that it is not unrelated.

In my environment, the order of Ctrl and Space key did not change the behavior.
When I tried it on another machine, I get the same symptoms, but I could not find a reliable reproduction, but the bug happens 100% of the time when I keep working on it.

I continue to use 2022 because I can work with it without any problems in any situation.
The recent updates are ambitious and excellent and I would like to resolve the bugs and work with the new version of Photoshop as much as possible.
I hope this will be resolved as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the automatic translation is making the text hard to read....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert, your note about enabling Older GPU Mode worked for me at least, thank you! I mentioned it in another thread where they were having similar issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert 
Hello.
Unfortunately, this problem was the same with Photoshop 2024 (25.0).
It looks like I will be using Photoshop 2022 for a while.

I think I've always had problems with Windows Ink behavior and compatibility with pen tablets, so I'm wondering if it's my current LCD tablet (Wacom Cintiq 16 / huion kamvas pro16)...?

There have been a lot of good updates lately, so hopefully this issue will be resolved.
Thank you.
Translated with DeepL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same (or similar) issue here - in Ps 2023 and now in the new Ps 2024: using CTRL + SPACE + mouse click&drag to scrubby zoom sometimes (unclear when exactly) gets "stuck". By "stuck" I mean, even after releasing the left mouse button (or my Wacom tablet pen), I am still in scrubby zoom mode and moving the mouse/pen still zooms in/out. The issue is easily fixed after simply clicking the left mouse button/clicking with the pen, however this bug is extremely annoying. "Use Windows Ink" is disabled in my Wacom preferences (I am using a Wacom One CTL-671 tablet).

Any new suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Please Adobe, fix this bug as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines