• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 23.2 Issue - Previously saved files with adjustment layers open with strange colors

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to Photoshop 23.2, if you have a file previously saved (example .psb) with adjustment layers like Curves or Channel Mixer, the image opens up with strange colors in the part of image where the adjustments impacts. To fix the issue, I need to go to adjustment layer, turn it off (via eye icon) and turn it back on.

Photoshop team, could you please fix this bug so I do not have to use above hack on my previously saved images with adjustmensts when I open them.

System

Windows 11

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

We have other reports that MachinePrefs.psp was causing this issue.

1. Quit Photoshop
2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.
macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
3. Remove the file called MachinePrefs.psp from inside the settings folder and move it to your desktop

If that fixes the issue, please share the MachinePrefs.psp file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

@jcazzie @chadm15595658 Multiple customers have said that MachinePrefs.psp was causing this issue.

1. Quit Photoshop

Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

3. Delete the file called MachinePrefs.psp from inside the settings folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
96 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2.1 Upgrade-  I can no longer use New Adjustment Layer/Curves.  When I add this layer I get a Pixelated Solarized crazy image.  Pleae help.  Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.2

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.25.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.24.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.23.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried with another image?

Have you tried to change the Color method or the bit resolution of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried other images as well as 8bit files.

Bruce

Bruce Starrenburg | Lightbox

Commercial Photography
Digital Print Studio

Personal information removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried different images same thing. Also tried 8bit files. I have not yet tried different color profile. 
updating to Monterrey OS Tomorrow. Will try after that and report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Quit Photoshop
3. Remove the file called MachinePrefs.psp from inside the settings folder and move it to your desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome.  That works.

Thank you so much for getting me back so quickly and on a Sunday!  This totally brings back my upcoming workweek to normal instead of a meltdown!
I greatly appreciate your help.

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Recently I'm experiencing some strange behaviour in PS. 

There are some files (not all of them) that when opened are messed up.

Here is a screenshot:

PS Bug.jpg

This problem is consistant with the same file, but other files open just fine,
BTW, the above file in the screenshot used to open OK until not long ago. Probably one of the updates messed it up.

My PS is the latest version and I'm using Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Quit Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks. It helped 🙂

I opened the same file and now it's OK

Should I keep the file on the Desktop or put it back in place?

Here is a link to the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq8e00pkoygbfyw/MachinePrefs.psp?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the file out. Putting it back will likely cause the problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to v23.2.1,  ( windows 10 pro)
when I add an adjustment layer, the following artifacting occurs ( see image)
It occurs with LEVELS, CURVES, etc
As soon as I make an adjustment with this layer, the artifacting dissappears.
Screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If not, go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. On the Mac, that's part of the OS update(s) so if this is the latest OS version, you may need to roll back a release.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/weird-ps-bug-psd-file-looks-messed-up/idi-p/...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Quit Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, 
Thank you ! YES, this fixed the issue. !! 🙂 
I have uploaded the MachinePrefs file for you to dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnr368anks9cpzj/MachinePrefs.psp?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop over the years has become more and more buggy and it truly messes up my work flow. The current bug seems to be caused by adjustment layers. The below image shows what the file looks like with the Adjustment layers turned on. This only happens when previously created files or when I bring in items from the Adobe Libraries. Doesn't matter if the file was created yesterday or last year...any previously created file that contains active adjustment layers opens super glitched.

I just updated Mac OS to Monterey, version 12.2.1 and Photoshop to version 23.2.1, both today. I then tried reverting back to the previous version of Photoshop with no luck. I also tried turning on "Deactivate Native Canvas" and then restarted Ps and I currently have it checked. No luck.

I figured out a work-around where if I hide the adjustment layer, duplicate the layer then delete the old layer, the file is OK. There's got to be a fix to this. Having to hide, duplicate then delete the old adjustment layer is very time consuming, which is terrible when working on fast paced, quick turnaround projects.

Is anyone else experiencing this insane glitch?!

Below shows how glitch works when I open the file with active adjustment layers turned on:

SrellesCire_0-1646176491453.png

Below shows what the file is supposed to look (after hiding, duplicating and deleting adjustment layers):

SrellesCire_2-1646176787923.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-23-2-issue-previously-saved-files-with-adj...

1. Quit Photoshop

If that fixes the issue, please share the MachinePrefs.psp file with Adobe at the link above.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe this is the underlying issue. I actually don't have "MachinePrefs.psp" anywhere on my Mac. Not only did I attempt to go through the folder sequence you mentioned, but I also did a search on my entire machine for "MachinePrefs.psp" with no results.

The below image shows the folder sequence up to Preferences. Afterwards, there is no "Adobe Photoshop" folder. After that failed, I then attempted to search for "MachinePrefs.php" within "Library" and "This Mac" with no luck. It seems that extention doesn't exist on my computer.

Thoughts?

SrellesCire_0-1646187170439.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next thing to try: Try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If not, go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. On the Mac, that's part of the OS update(s) so if this is the latest OS version, you may need to roll back a release.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/weird-ps-bug-psd-file-looks-messed-up/idi-p/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried checking on "Disable Native Canvas" then restarting Ps multiple times. I just tried again and this is how the file looks now.

SrellesCire_0-1646191707669.png

I honestly have no idea what you mean when you say "recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile" and I don't know what bulding a matrix means or what an LUT profile is. That lingo is far beyond my understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently experiencing problems with Photoshop 2022.
Whenever I add any adjustment layer, I am getting graphic issues (see attached), as soon as I change e.g. the curve, it is gone again. But it makes this version of Photoshop unusable for me, especially when working with many adjustment layers, you would have to unclick and slightly change each one to get back to a "normal" image. Anybody experiencing the same? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently experiencing problems with Photoshop 2022 (23.2.1) on my Mac (10.15.7)
Whenever I add any adjustment layer, I am getting graphic issues (see attached), as soon as I change e.g. the curve, it is gone again. But it makes this version of Photoshop unusable for me, especially when working with many adjustment layers, you would have to unclick and slightly change each one to get back to a "normal" image. Anybody experiencing the same? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a graphics card (GPU) issue. Go to Preferences- Performance and see if changing the settings solves this. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-23-2-issue-previously-saved-files-with-adj...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be a corrupt monitor profile.  Try remaking it with a profile software, or repairing it with ColorThink

What OS are you on?

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this, unfortunately the issue is still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate