• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 24.1.0 Update Changed Extendscript's save behaviour & effecting ShotGrid workflows

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App version: 24.1.0

OS: Windows 10 Pro (22H2) & macOS Ventura (13.1) & Big Sur (12.6.1) ... most likely in general

Description: Opening any file and running the following extendscript code 

app.activeDocument.save()

will trigger the Save error pop ups (in the attachments). The snippet is actually a simplified line from inside the core Shotgrid engine for Photoshop. It is run during publishing to ensure latest version is published. So it is now preventing our company to update to latest Photoshop version. Previous versions of Photoshop work with the same code without issue,

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open any file at any location
  2. Make no changes or do a manual save, so there is no asterix (*) in tab name
  3.  Run the code snippet I provided

Expected result: save modifies timestamp of file

Actual result: save is blocked by errro popup

Bug Started
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Thanks @Kogi18 for the post. The team believes this will be fixed in an upcomming release. 

Thank you,

Cory

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if this was a bug before and is fixed now, since you can't save an unmodified file (File->Save will be greyed out.) I would either do/undo a minor change or use something like touch (not sure what the Windows terminal command would be) to change the timestamps. I did verify that your snippet works in PS 22.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Kogi18 for the post. The team believes this will be fixed in an upcomming release. 

Thank you,

Cory

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert would that be correct behavior, to allow scripted save when UI save is not enabled? I looked at the Photoshop scripting guide and reference but its not explained one way or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what the team came back with @Lumigraphics...

"Ideally, it would be good to avoid calling Save when the UI has it disabled, but this is loosey goosey territory when it comes to scripting. In the case of the Save command, however, it should be ok to call it for unmodified documents (it shouldn’t cause an error). We dim the menu item in the UI as a clue to the user that the operation isn’t strictly necessary, but it should still be ok to execute."

Hope that helps,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah definitely, one of those things that could go either way I suppose. Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate