• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arrow Tool percentage setting not allowed anymore

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to change the setting on my line tool arrow option to be a percentage of the line vs. just a pixel setting, but PS won't allow it. This is critical, because I have lines of different lengths and widths, and the arrowhead needs to be responsive based on the line it is drawn with.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

I've asked engineering to look at adding this back.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop 22.x came out, we discovered that the line tool had been changed completely. It took months for it to finally be fixed. However, the arrowheads are still not fixed. The proportional (percentage) sizing is not there. Working with arrowheads is a disaster. My choices are to stay with 21.x or manually calculate every single arrowhead - which destroys my productivity and efficiency.

PLEASE advise as to when we can expect the proportional (percentage) sizing to be restored for arrowheads in 22.x. Better yet, give users the choice to size either with pixels or proportions (percentages).

arrows-9e4c613b-d9f2-421f-be79-5936298b6f58-1713193603.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Windows 10, Photoshop CC allows the user to set the width and length of a line's arrowhead by percentage (%), but under macOS one has to constantly calculate appropriate widths and lengths as one changes the line's width. At least under macOS one can now specify a line width with pixels, something that was missing for no practical reason for a long time, too.

Without percentages, this is incredibly tedious - and it worked for two decades in Photoshop CS and older. Anyone who marks up images with lines with arrowheads needs that feature back.

Please update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it is not a new feature; Adobe removed it from CC for whatever bizarre reason, and it is present in the Windows 10 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm Could you please provide an update to the restoration of this very valuable tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm 

Has there been any progress on giving the users BOTH options for the arrowheads - pixels and percentages? I keep trying to get an answer on this, and I get nothing. I am not alone in my frustration over (1) the lack of communication from Adobe; and (2) the tremendous loss of workflow efficiency due to the extreme change of functionality of a very simple tool.

Why is Adobe refusing to even acknowledge that this functionality is something that a lot of people still want? Why can't we have both options? Why doesn't Adobe understand that Photoshop is NOT Illustrator?

arrows-f44dd5eb-68ad-463f-b342-fa14290dd7c4-1713193603.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem that Adobe has refused to acknowledge since 22.0 was released last year. I, too, rely on the percentages to change my arrowheads, but evidently you and I are the only ones in the entire world who use this feature. 😕  Because of this, I am still using 21.X, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
See below for my only workaround when I do have to use 22.X. Good luck!
arrows-23ddb1d8-e2dc-4b39-921c-4475196a01d6-1713193603.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*CMJRoss_CRE

That's incredibly helpful! Thanks a bunch for writing this up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*bcullison

You are very welcome. I've been on this since October of last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One year after the disaster of Photoshop 22.x having arrowheads that do not function correctly, I installed 23.x hoping that maybe they would have been fixed once and for all. But no. The arrowheads are still only able to be sized by exact pixels, not percentages. This is completely unacceptable.

This is the graphic I made last year explaining why the percentages are needed for arrowheads. Quite a number of fellow long-time users agreed. And still nothing!! Why can't we even get an answer on this?

arrows.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Creative Cloud and recently installed v23. It removed my v21.x and will no longer show 21.x in the Older Versions list. Does anybody know how I can download 21.x so I can get the arrowhead sizing option by percentages? Changing it to exact pixels only is just plain stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted an idea that Adobe should fix the line tool to work like Photoshop's legacy line tool volt for that.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked engineering to look at adding this back.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! 

Please keep us updated on the status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all available in the Windows 10 version, as it ever was.

Why line width in pixels instead of "shapes", and arrowhead functionality with percentages was deliberately (!) removed from the macOS version still remains a mystery to me. I use Photoshop since 1990 and Illustrator since 1989 and have rarely seen proven basic tools eliminated for no good reason whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Setting arrow proportions with this ruined version of an orignal tool that didn't need touching, is a complete ******* joke!!!

If its not broken...don't inadvertantly decide to ******* wreck it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey Tranberry

Has there been any progress on this? Over the past couple months, I have updated V23.X numerous times (including this morning), and the arrow tool is still forcing the user to specify pixels instead of percentages. The fact that this is going on 2.5 YEARS is ridiculous.

The graphic posted in this thread from @christinar90870321 was posted by me on my old company account. The sentiment and frustration still stands. Both personally and professionally, I am exclusively using 21.0.0 thanks to this broken line tool and the blaring silence from Adobe regarding any progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas, I'm suffering from the arrow thingie, too. Did you ever find a place to download the most recent version of Photoshop that still had the arrow percentages? Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our solution to the pixel arrowhead problem in 2023: continue to use photoshop 2020 (21.1.1). Software updates should facilitate productivity; not interfere with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A feature that existed since decades removed for no reason whatsoever. What a pain to work out matching pixel widths and lengths for each arrow's stroke width. Adobe is raking it in since the SaaS model was introduced, yet it removes proven features. This is plain grotesque. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no arrow tool percentage setting. Why on earth was this long-time PS feature removed? So bizarre!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop will do the calculation for you. For a 10 px line, enter .75*10 in the Width box and you'll get 7.5 px.

Votes

Translate

Translate