• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw opening when I drop a PNG into a photoshop layered file

Participant ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help. After the new update.. when I drag a file into a PSD from the mac finder, Camera raw opens over the top of photoshop. I want to skip this feature... how do I turn this off?

thanks

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Thanks! The files helped me reproduce. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a couple of threads about this in other forums. Were these PNGs shared via MS Teams? Long shot but that seems to be a trend.

Otherwise you can try going to Preferences/File Handling and disabling the "Prefer Camera Raw" option.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1668695188669.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I downloaded these from Teams..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be something in Teams causing these files to change their code indicating that they are RAW not actually png files specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lister110 What do you have set in this dialog? (Apple menu > Preferences > Camera Raw...

JeffreyTranberry_0-1668786645125.png

Please provide a screenshot of your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same problem with png files downloaded from Google Photos. I have made the 2 changes suggested in this thread (Unchecking Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for Supported Raw Files and amending JPEG Spoort to Disable JPEG Support) but still it opens .png files in Camera Raw. This has only started happening in updating to PS v24 (Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you zip up a PNG (just posting png to this page may resave the file and affect the ability to reproduce) and post a URL to the zip using CC files or dropbox, or something similar to share the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry for delay in responding, my spam filter grabbed the notification of your request.

I have created a folder on Google drive at the link below. In it is a zip file containing 2 png files. They started out as the same file (a screenshot of my iPad homescreen). Firstly I emailed it directly to my PC - PS can open this without any problem. I then put the same file from my iPad into Google Photos and batched it up with some other files and downloaded onto my PC - when I open this from PS it opens in Camera Raw.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iqWOkDrJoMj9ig6RAs_3aXGR-tgzoKOM?usp=share_link

Thanks for your help

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just started happening to me also, trying to open a .png file downloaded from Microsoft Teams. i've unchecked "Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for Supported Raw Files" in Photoshop Preferences > File Handling, as well as changed Camera Raw Preferences > DNG File Handling  > Sidecars > Ignore sidecar XMP files, and the JPG and Tiff Handling options to both being disabled. there doesn't seem to be any option for .png files specifically. still opens in Camera Raw=(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The files helped me reproduce. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 

https://www.dropbox.com/t/EgMyGCDmH2iM86UO

Here is another PNG that opens up in Camera raw incase it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me also.  Camera raw turns every png into a jpg also!  NOT what I want for my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I try to open file through bridge it goes straight to camera raw. I am a digital designer and need photoshop to work.  I need .png files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note for folks who are hit by this. The problem in a number of instances is that the file with a PNG suffix is not actually a PNG file - it's actually something else, like a JPEG. Unfortunately, the Camera Raw File Handling Preference to disallow JPEG does not work when the file name ends with ".PNG" (That's the bug).

Workaround: Changing the suffix to the correct type bypasses the problem and makes Camera Raw properly reject the file when the Preference is set to ignore. e.g. Change "foo.PNG" to "foo.JPG".

Photoshop does look inside the file for magic bits that indicate whether a file is JPEG or PNG, and it properly assesses the file type. That's on the Photoshop side -- But then all TIFFs and JPEGs are handed off to Camera Raw for potential processing according to the Camera Raw Preference. We rely on Camera Raw to reject processing JPEGs when the preference says to do so. That's the logic that is failing when the suffix is wrong.

We're looking into a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CJButler This same thing is happening on the Mac side as well, in my case when opening .dng files shared via AirDrop from my iPhone to my MBP laptop. I think what people are asking for is to be able to turn it off completely, not just ignore it for certain kinds of files. None of the stuff I'm working with is fine photography where I care about the color, nor do I have calibrated monitors. I just want to clip, mask or otherwise edit composites for comping purposes. It's an extra step that I don't need for this type of work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when this will be corrected?  Not sure what Teams is doing, but PNG's still aren't opening in Photoshop.  It's a pain point for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey same problem here. Just noticed that when your file opens in camera raw, down in the righthand corner, there's an option that says "open". If you click on that the file opens in photoshop. At least mine did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The June 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate