Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Could not initialize Photoshop because of a disk error

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've installed the Adobe Creative Cloud on a PC.

- Windows 10 Professional 21H1

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz

- RAM 16 Go

- 156 Go of space disk remaining on the SSD

Illustrator and InDesign launch perfectly, but Photoshop (v23.0) doesn't.
I've tried to uninstall it to install an older version (22.5.2) but I always get the same message : "Could not initialize Photoshop because of a disk error" ("Impossible d'initialiser Photoshop en raison d'une erreur de disque" in French).

I tried to uninstall and install it again, to reboot the PC. I also tried to change the disk with ctrl + alt, but nothing appears but the error message.

Can you please help me with this error, this is the only PC with this problem in my company.

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

This issue is fixed by installing the Media Feature Pack list for Windows N edition:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions-c1c6fffa-d052-8338-7a79-a4bb980a700a

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Found the solution here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-could-not-initialize-photoshop-because-of-a-disk-error/idi-p/12475738

Windows was missing the "Media Feature Pack". After installing that and uninstalling/reinstalling photoshop (and camera raw v14 with it) everything works as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate
60 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and sorry for my english.

Today when I start the Photoshop 23.0 I receive this message: "Photoshop cannot be initialized because a disk error has occurred"

The disk is the same of the OS and other programs (illustrator, indesign, etc.)

Can You help me?

Regards.

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue after upgrading. Worked fine before.

Error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having same issue if anyone cane resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the disk error issue. Could you please uninstall Photoshop completely from your machine, restart your machine and reinstall it via Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app. Let us know if that helps.

Also, are you using an enterprise or individual user license for Photoshop?

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to v23 this morning and received two errors, the first being about the preferences file being invalid (deleted) despite telling photoshop to import previous settings (which it did, according to what I could find my my windows %appdata% folder for Photoshop 2022).

The second and persistent error is "Could not initialize photoshop because of a disc error".

I had it remove old versions when I updated, so I just figured I'd reinstall the old version until I could get v23 sorted out. I got the same two errors with the old version as well.

Solutions I've found online (google - and this forum) which have proven unfruitful or non-applicable:

1. scratch disks

2. bad preferences

3. bad plugins

1. I do not believe it to be an error related to disk space available; my C drive has 130gb free and the previously used scratch disc is an empty 1TB SSD.

I *cannot* get to the scratch disk settings via holding alt or alt+ctrl or whatever it is, because photoshop cannot even initialize to get to that point.

2. I have completely wiped preferences and attempted to re-start photoshop. This error does not even allow photoshop to finish building its prefs file/folder structure. There is *no* prefs file to delete.

3. See number two. Fresh install, no third party plugins installed (though I did have PPW panel plugin installed before I updated. I have not attempted to reinstall it since photoshop doesnt run at all)

I have reinstalled from scratch and rebooted the PC. The error persists.

Any ideas would be welcome, as would some form of contact from an actual Adobe customer support agent willing to work with me, rather than point me at the three solutions above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an update:

If I find the camera raw plugin, "Camera Raw.8bi" in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

and re-name it to something else so photoshop ignores it, like "Camera Raw.8biOLD" then photoshop starts successfully, but it will not open RAW image formats (obviously)

What's strange is the CC desktop application reports that camera raw is up to date even after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had same problem with you.

I found that deleting the camara raw plug in helped me with my problem, and I hope it helps you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, similar to my update post. Deleting the plugin or renaming it to something else allows photoshop to run as expected, but without RAW file support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2nd update:

I have been able to confirm that there's an issue with the camera raw v14.0 that installed along with photoshop v23.

Following all instructions here *to the letter*:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

I made backups as instructed and then cleaned up the current installation of Camera Raw 14, essentially wiping it off of my system.

I found that photoshop still runs in this state, but has no RAW support.

It should be noted that the CC desktop app also no longer lists Camera Raw as being installed.

I then downloaded v13.1 & 14.0 installers here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

I confirmed after installing v13.1 that photoshop v23 has *buggy* raw support in this state; Camera Raw 13.1 sometimes crashes Photoshop v23. I cannot say that this is entirely unexpected, just making a note of it.

I should also note here that the CC desktop app nor the CC cleaner app recognize that v13.1 is installed.

I installed v14.0 again (renaming the v13.1 plugin file to "Camera Raw.8biOLD" again first) and confirmed that once again photoshop gives me the error about an invalid (deleted) preferences file. A second launch displays the next error, unable to initialize due to disc error.

Switching the Camera Raw plugin filenames back around so that the v13.1 is enabled and v14.0 disabled, photoshop launches successfully. 

Again, note that CC desktop app still does not list Camera Raw as installed.

--- THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH CAMERA RAW v14.0, at least on some installations ---

System:

Windows 10 Enterprise N 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Intel Core i7-7700k

32GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro P2000, driver 30.0.14.7141

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a link to my post in the photoshop section:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/could-not-initialize-photoshop-because-of-a-...

Photoshop v23 installs with Camera Raw v14 and will not launch. Invalid prefs file error, followed by a generic disc error message. Replacing v14 with v13.1 allows Ps v23 to launch, but camera raw 13.1 sometimes crashes Ps v23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenas tardes al abrir ps me dice no se a podido inicializar ps porque ha habido un error de disco, pasó esto luego de la actualización

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that Adobe Bridge's ability to display RAW images is broken with the v14 plugin file but works fine with the v13.1 plugin file.

Lightroom Classic must have its own RAW engine separate from Camera Raw. Neither plugin file seems to have any effect LR Classic's ability to work with existing RAW images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another quick note:

Adobe Bridge's ability to display RAW images is broken with the v14 plugin file but works fine with the v13.1 plugin file.

Lightroom Classic must have its own RAW engine separate from Camera Raw. Neither plugin file seems to have any effect LR Classic's ability to work with existing RAW images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-could-not-initialize-photoshop-because-of-...

Windows was missing the "Media Feature Pack". After installing that and uninstalling/reinstalling photoshop (and camera raw v14 with it) everything works as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is fixed by installing the Media Feature Pack list for Windows N edition:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions-c1c6fffa-d0...

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the disk error. I'm merging your post with an ongoing discussion regarding this issue. Please try the fix suggested on the thread & let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, as you can see, i cannot open the application without getting an error. Please help me out here. the issue happens on windows 10. 

psdiskerror.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I installed the Media Pack but it didn't work at firt. Then I used the Adobe Cleaner and it finally worked. Have a great day and thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bonjour, suite a la nouvelle mise a jour j ai ça en fin de demarage logiciel une idee ,merci

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue after upgrading.Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tenia instalado PS 2021 ayer lo actualice a PS 2022 y al abrirlo me da este error " NO SE PUEDE INICIALIZAR PHOTOSHOP PORQUE HABIDO UN ERROR EN DISCO"

lo desistalo e instalo PS 2021 y me aparece el mismo error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Please include a screenshot or more complete explanation.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate