Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Could not initialize Photoshop because of a disk error

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've installed the Adobe Creative Cloud on a PC.

- Windows 10 Professional 21H1

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz

- RAM 16 Go

- 156 Go of space disk remaining on the SSD

Illustrator and InDesign launch perfectly, but Photoshop (v23.0) doesn't.
I've tried to uninstall it to install an older version (22.5.2) but I always get the same message : "Could not initialize Photoshop because of a disk error" ("Impossible d'initialiser Photoshop en raison d'une erreur de disque" in French).

I tried to uninstall and install it again, to reboot the PC. I also tried to change the disk with ctrl + alt, but nothing appears but the error message.

Can you please help me with this error, this is the only PC with this problem in my company.

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

This issue is fixed by installing the Media Feature Pack list for Windows N edition:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions-c1c6fffa-d052-8338-7a79-a4bb980a700a

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Found the solution here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-could-not-initialize-photoshop-because-of-a-disk-error/idi-p/12475738

Windows was missing the "Media Feature Pack". After installing that and uninstalling/reinstalling photoshop (and camera raw v14 with it) everything works as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate
60 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am having the same issue but installing the media feature packlist did not resolve my problem. Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erro.png " este erro começou a aparecer quando o photoshop atualizou para a versão 23.0 até então estava funcionando perfeitamente no 22.5.2 todavia após essa atualização nem mesmo a versão 22.5.2 funciona Disco.png

Como podem ver meus discos não estão cheios eu tentei mover do meu SSD para meu HD mas o erro continuou e do HD para SSD e continuou na mesma. SHOTPOP.png

Tentei tirar uma print antes do erro ocorrer mas incrivelmente esta tela não estava aparecendo no meu print tive que pedir um amigo para me ajudar a tirar o print, sim essa tela aparece e logo apos ela o photoshop apenas da erro de disco e fecha isso é o máximo que meu photoshop consegue.

Tunação.png

Estas são as configurações do meu pc se alguem souber como resolver meu problema porfavor me ajude já estou sem utilizar meu photoshop des da atualização para 23.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canno

01.JPG

t open because disk error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there's a hardware problem with your disk. Please check your hard disk. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Bridge 12 and Photoshop 23.0 right-click a jpg or tiff to open in Camera Raw and using Enhance, Super Resolution creates a .DNG of the uprezzed file.

Double-clicking the new DNG file immediately while in Camera Raw causes Photoshop to throw a dialog "Can not open due to disk error".

Dismissing the error message and opening the new DNG through Bridge opens in Camera Raw and opens in Photoshop just fine.

Photoshop 23.0, Bridge 12, Mac OS Big Sur, MacPro late 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that you're seeing a disk error in Photoshop 2022.

Would you mind sharing the details mentioned in Photoshop> Help> System Info> Copy and paste it here?
What is the allocated storage for Photoshop scratch disk? When do you see this disk error, Is it during a particular workflow or while launching? 

Look at this community thread which will give you an overview of disk errors and how we can try to reduce them. LINK

Let us know if that helped.

Regards,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

If you are on Windows and you changed the Cache Location for Adobe Programs to another drive connected via USB, this might fix your issue.

First things first.

Everytime you install a new HDD / SSD on your machine, while you allocate the Disk to the system you are prompted to either choose a letter for your disk (L letter in my case) or you can let Windows pick a letter for you automatically.

Now, if you let Windows to pick it automatically for you, in the circumstances of your drive being offline while another external drive will connect to your machine, the new external drive will automatically be allocated the FIRST AVAILABLE LETTER.

What happened to me exactly and how I fixed the WHOLE CREATIVE CLOUD issue:

I installed a drive and decided to let Windows pick the letter for me. So he got L letter. My drive is named HDD CACHE (L:)

Two days ago, my drive was offline for some reason (USB connection was bad and it didn't start), and I needed to connect an SD card to get files from it. Because the HDD CACHE letter was automatically allocated by Windows, when the External Drive was offline, L letter became available to use for another drive. And so it did. The memory card was allocated the L letter and the Creative Cloud app couldn't find the new path for the Cache directory with the cache files. 

Now, I went into Disk Management and I searched for the letter L. Changed it to another letter and went back to my HDD to allocate the L letter back manually. Problem solved!

NOTE: When you install new external drives on your machines, make sure you manually allocate a letter to it. This way, regardless of how many new external drives you'll connect to your machine, the letter you allocated to your initial drive will stay the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've (so far) been  unsucessful in my organization installing/implementing the Media Feature Pack list. Is there any way to work around this? Why do previous PS versions not seem to have this requirement?

CJSF

Votes

Translate

Translate