• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Create new window not reflecting right dimensions from clipboard

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue with photoshop where File > New > is not auto-inputting the clipboard size into the canvas size for the new document. This has worked on every version of photoshop until this point. I sadly ended up on version 23.3.2 (photoshop just updated itself in the last couple days I guess without me noticing, and I am pretty sure I had that auto update turned off since I reverted back to 22.2 a couple weeks ago, sigh)

Have you guys considered testing your product before launching updates? I reverted back to 22.2 because of all the bugs I was experiencing with the latest versions. Seems turning auto update off cant even save me. 

{Thread title modified by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Hi everyone, 

The fix for this should be available to all now and will come from the Creative Cloud desktop app, and not through a Photoshop update. 

To update: 

• Visit the Creative Cloud Desktop app's "Updates" tab, and click Check for Updates. 
  • If that doesn't resolve it, try signing out of Creative Cloud desktop app, and signing back in.

If you performed this workaround, you may need to revert those workaround steps to receive the updated plugin. 

If updated successfully, you will se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Just switched to Legacy "New Document" Interface and it works fine that way.

Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 310 Replies 310
310 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on my previous post, I applied the 23.4.2 update today and the problem persists (I've also since upgraded from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro).

That is supremely disappointing, given this issue's annoyance level and what should be a simple fix on the developer side. I understand there are workarounds, but none are ideal for various reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is July 19th and this issue is still there.  I LIKE the current new file interface and don't want to have to use the legacy.  Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common operation I would perform is to copy a selection, create a new document which defaults to that clipboard size and then paste in those pixels.

What I am finding in PS Beta is that although the new document defaults appear with the current clipboard dimensions highlighted in 'your recent items' on the left, the right panel 'Preset Details' actually holds the previously specification list.

Furthermore clicking on the clipboard option on the left still does not update these details. I have to click onto another default first, then back onto 'clipboard' in order to get those details for the new document.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.54.04 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

When ever I copy something in photoshop and go to new file....

The new file domensions is not the same as the clipboard. as in the attached video capture.

Please let me know what can be done to sort this.

Thanks

Sukhvinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw there was an update to Photoshop and the CC app this morning. So I updated them both. The nasty bug of photoshop not using the dimensions of the item in the clipboard is STILL there. When I saw the so called "update" for photoshop, I naively thought that Adobe had fixed this. But to my surprise, not, the nasty bug is STILL THERE. What a waste of time "updating" to an update that didn't fix a single issue... Adobe, FIX YOUR BROKEN SOFTWARE, or if you keep refusing to fix it, then STOP CHARGING US EVERY MONTH FOR BROKEN SOFTWARE!

If you're going to charge for a "subscription" then you need to FIX ALL THE BUGS before you bill anyone's account...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tengo problemas desde hace una semana usando Adobe Photoshop.  Si editando una foto hago una selección de una parte de ella y deseo abrir un nuevo archivo para copiar esa selección, las dimensiones del nuevo archivo no guardan relación (ni en ancho ni en alto) con lo que seleccioné.  Además, se copia sólo una parte.  Nunca antes me había pasado.

Antes (siempre), sea cuales hayan sido las dimensiones de lo seleccionado (en alto y ancho), el nuevo archivo se generaba tal como estaba en el portapapeles.  Y ahora, cuando éste se graba, tampoco coincide el formato.  Una imagen “apaisada” se grava en formato vertical, sobrando un espacio “en blanco” hacia arriba y hacia debajo de la imagen que se ha creado.

¿Es un asunto de las “Preferencias”, que algo cambió sin yo advertirlo?

Para tener un archivo con la foto del tamaño deseado, no me queda otra que tomarle una foto a la pantalla del computador, y ésa no es la idea de Adobe Photoshop, supongo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have SAME issue. only started with new verion. [ unfortunatley I am on a PC for work, where this happens  - not sure if PC version is excluvie t this isse ? ].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Wednesday, you're right about this one. The team is aware of this and working on a fix, though this is not specific to beta at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@complexity's solution solved the problem. Not sure why Adobe felt compelled to change the default behavior, requiring one to hunt down a checkbox to UN-check to have a new "File from Clipboard" artboard actually match the size of the clipboard art. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola. Parece un bug de la última actualización. Puedes intentar restaurando las preferencias: https://helpx.adobe.com/es/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just going to throw this out here.  It's not fixed after a month.  This is still not working properly.  I think we can all agree with this.  HOWEVER, I did speak with Adobe Customer Support about this last week.  And I have to tell you that after describing the problem in detail to the person on the phone, this is the response I received in the email follow-up:

"We would like to inform you that the issue which you are facing with clipboard is not due to a bug. The photoshop application has designed (sic) in that way. The clipboard size will depend on the selections and the image. if you would like to get the clipboard size as the selection you can continue to the legacy mode."

So according to this response is this person Adobe engineered to work, and then changed it not to work, but it's not a bug, but it was purposely designed to not work correctly?  I doubt that. 

To the Adobe employees monitoring this, it might be a good idea to clue someone in customer support that the problem has evidently been explained to everyone, or that Adobe is working to fix this?   

I mean an answer that is wrong is never as good as someone saying "I don't know, but we can keep this open until something is known."

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow I use for editing screen captures on Windows (11) is as follows:

• create screen capture (to the clipboard)
  • in Photoshop, click the New file button (or access File->New... in the menu system)
  • select the Clipboard option
  • click the Create button
  • paste the image

Unfortunately, if you do multiple screen captures. when you click the Clipboard option the dimensions that the Create button will use to create the document do not update. Despite the fact the Clipboard button shows the different dimensions...leading the user to believe that's the size document which will get created when you click Create.

That's fine if all the images are the same size. But it is a real PITA if you are trying to create documents based on different size captures.

The workaround is to select any option other than Clipboard and then select Clipboard. That ends up updating the screen dimensions that the Create button will use.

Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging the thread with existing conversation about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue still exist in the new 23.4.2?!! Come on Adobe! this should be fixed in priority for next release coz it's really annoying. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the use legacy fix but it did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding some folks' experience with this, as I'm not sure why that legacy fix does not work for some. I'm running Photoshop 23.4.2 on MacOS 12.4 and checking the "Use Legacy 'New Document' interface solved the problem immediately. New documents are sized to the dimensions of most rent clipboard contents. (Not that I agree with Photoshop's default behavior being changed — similar decision to requiring the SHIFT key to unlock aspect ratio when resizing. Altering long-standing default behaviors in fundamental ways drives thousands of users crazy).

Pshop Prefs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did that - it does not work for me but I do have a PC not a Mac.  Sameer K's solution worked (however After Effects doesn't work with his solution - so I go back and forth depending on the day).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BroadcastSunny  Wrote;

Yes, I did that - it does not work for me

Can you try this? Click on another preset (such as "Default"), then click on the Clipboard preset again and the pixel dimensions should update. Does that work for you?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new 'new document' UI is an improvement over the legacy one, but it just needs to work correctly (which it did initially).

For me, the whole problem hangs on the clipboard specifications shown on the left not flowing through to the actual new document specifications displayed on the right.

The only fix I can find is to click a different preset, then click back on the clipboard preset. Maybe that sounds like a minor inconvenience (?) but it isn't just non-intuitive for the user, it also breaks a standard keyboard shortcut workflow:

⌘C    ⌘N    [return]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image in clipboard and open a new file. Even if I click on the clipboard-template it opens the users custom template with the wrong size. This problem exist since weeks. I didn't have this problems in all the years I am using Photoshop. I have the latest version 23.4.2 and I am on latest Windows 11.

5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this mean?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: Switch to Legacy "New Document" Interface and it works fine that way. Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best answer for me until this issue is corrected is Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface.  When I CTRLC to copy selected CTRL N brings up the "New" dialog - hit enter to close it if you do not want to name or change anything   and CTRL V pastes the content into the new doc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate