• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS5/CS6 text deletes when highlighted for editing on MacOS 10.9

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since an update to OS 10.9 on a mid 2012 MBP 2.7 GHz i7 with 16 GB Ram, CS5 is not allowing me to update text. When I select the text tool type text and then return to the text and highlight it to change font or style, the text disappears, and is actually deleted. This happens when I select any text in any of my psd files, or when I create new files.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013
Howdy folks,

I believe we have the smoking gun for this one. So far every user I've spoken with finds the problem goes away when they turn off the dictation function in Mavericks. Further digging shows that the app works, but if a user attempts to record while Photoshop is not in a state to accept text, then the dictation app then stores some sort of + in its buffer, which is then added to anything selected, such as text you're trying to edit!

If anyone continues to have a problem, please le...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
135 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I empathize with you and share your frustration, I have uninstalled CS5 reinstalled it with no results, I see this list is slowly growing, but wonder if it is still an unusual few cases or if it is quite prevalent. Hope that continuing this thread will get Adobe to address the issue!

And I hope more effected users speak up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only a few cases reported. Most MacOS 10.9 users are not seeing this, but MacOS 10.9 does have quite a few unresolved bugs that are affecting different people, plus conflicts with some drivers and third party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Leo,

Are you running any tablets, mice, pointers, etc? Have you tried disabling or uninstalling them? We haven't been able to reproduce this problem in-house, using either a fresh-install or an upgrade of 10.8.5 to 10.9. I've tried both CS5 and CS6, but both are fine. There is clearly some other variable unaccounted for in this problem.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David I am using the mac trackpad and sometime I use the Logitech Performance MX mouse, it does this with both devices. I have one or the other device connected, not both. To test I turned bluetooth off and used my MBP trackpad and still I get the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we're investigating third-party peripherals/software, I realized that I have SmootheMouse http://smoothmouse.com/ installed on my machine, and thought that may be the culprit. I removed it from my preference pane, and tested photoshop again, and I'm still getting the same issue. This is on my Macbook without any mice or other accessories plugged in.

Leolo - I am also using a Logitech Performance MX Mouse (when I'm at my desk). But I have no special Logitech software installed. I just plug and play.

But like I mentioned, the problem persists when I'm using my Macbook solo, without anything plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going through the possible contributing factors but have not been able to isolate anything that would help, to the contrary, I am noticing other anomalies and abnormal behaviour in Photoshop, funny hangups and hiccups for the lack of a more detailed explanation at this time (issue perhaps for another thread) ... ugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Unplugging the device does not prevent the software associated with it from intercepting keyboard commands. You might have to uninstall the software. Also, to eliminate factors, I would suggest parsing down to no unusual pointing devices.

If either of you are interested in doing a web-mediated trouble-shooting session, just let me know. I am free most of the day.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have other problems that are unrelated, by all means put them in another thread. I would suggest, however, that we isolate the cause of this problem first.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Upgraded from brand new Mountain Lion installation where CS6 was already installed and updated to 13.0.5. Now every time I double-click to select text (or select text with my mouse in general) it gets instantly deleted. Here is a video showing the behavior:

https://vimeo.com/78193286

If it helps - I disabled auto-correct spelling in Mavericks, and disabled Font Fusion Suitcase 4 - no effect (same problems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same for me, if I double click on the text layer and select text this way, all text also gets deleted. If I use the text tool I can sometime select the text but upon any change (font colour, font style, size ... ) text gets deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

Again, we cannot reproduce this in house at all. That means there's almost certainly another variable involved. I did help one user who had certain keystrokes intercepted and a Wacom tablet connected. I've a feeling your issue is something similar. I would like to troubleshoot your problem, but will need you to contact me. I will follow up by email.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone can jump on call/screen sharing session with me to troubleshoot, I'm available for the next hour and half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE - Behavior can be better described as having the 'DELETE' key trigger upon *releasing* the mouse (not pressing it down). If mouse-up occurs with no text selected, the cursor appears to jump forward one character and then back one character instantaneously. The mouse-up action will always trigger this behavior whenever Photoshop is the active window, but not when photoshop is in the background.

Working on disabling all non-native software and seeing if the absence of a few certain programs helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what changed on my system, but suddenly the problem has gone away.

I uninstalled and reinstalled SmootheMouse, and I also checked for updates (none existed) in photoshop.

Aside from that I have no tips to offer. If I come up with any guesses I'll share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More details - hoping someone at Apple or Adobe can identify this. I recorded and slowed down what was happening, and as you can see from this still, a hair-line black line is getting inserted at the cursor whenever a mouse-release happens.

Maybe some UI developer somewhere can identify this symbol / cue? Maybe it's an Assistive Devices item, or Dictation, or maybe Substitution indicator (all new features with Mavericks)?

Here's a new video, processed shortly: https://vimeo.com/78291720

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The vertical line is a normal text cursor (should appear on mouse down), but the little underscore is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else on this thread using SmoothMouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I am sorry. I mean that the little horizontal line below the normal vertical cursor is the mystery item here. It could also be a multi-language thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not using SmoothMouse ... and I have the issue when I am not using any external input devices as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Photoshop CS6 and CC on a late model 2011 Macbook Pro. Happened after upgrading to Mavericks this past week. Any text that has it's style changed or settings like letter spacing etc., the text instantly deletes. I can undo the delete, as if I deleted it. The "delete" does not show up in the history palette. I'm out of ideas... besides using recovery disk and going back to Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still to find a solution. I rely on photoshop on a daily basis and this has made my work more difficult, however, I am just coping with laborious workarounds.

There is a suggestion that it is an input device related issue, however, there are no commonalities in input devices amongst the affected, and I have experienced the issue whether I use an external input device or not. I have deleted the logitech software for my Logitech Performance MX Mouse, have uninstalled and installed Photoshop numerous times, have disabled bluetooth ... nothing has resulted in a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, same here. It happens regardless of using a mouse, the only input device I have is the laptops built-in trackpad and keyboard. It's definitely something to do with Mavericks, I just hope the upgrade didn't make whatever it is causing this bug permanent. Won't be upgrading any OS in the first week of release again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, I have tried to explore some of the suggested causes, such as an input device, but the problem persists. I believe it is strictly a photoshop issue in conjunction with Mavericks. please let me know if there are any new developments on this.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you guys tried running Photoshop from a new Admin user account? http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does restoring preferences help? http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate