• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS5/CS6 text deletes when highlighted for editing on MacOS 10.9

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since an update to OS 10.9 on a mid 2012 MBP 2.7 GHz i7 with 16 GB Ram, CS5 is not allowing me to update text. When I select the text tool type text and then return to the text and highlight it to change font or style, the text disappears, and is actually deleted. This happens when I select any text in any of my psd files, or when I create new files.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013
Howdy folks,

I believe we have the smoking gun for this one. So far every user I've spoken with finds the problem goes away when they turn off the dictation function in Mavericks. Further digging shows that the app works, but if a user attempts to record while Photoshop is not in a state to accept text, then the dictation app then stores some sort of + in its buffer, which is then added to anything selected, such as text you're trying to edit!

If anyone continues to have a problem, please le...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
135 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restored All preferences, but the issue is still there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, for those suffering from this problem, especially if you have the problem reliably, please contact me to setup a web-mediated troubleshooting session. You can demo the problem you're having and I can look for possible causes. I've already done this with three other users for this Maverick's problem and in each case there appears to be interference between Photoshop and the OS due to tablets/keyboard/mouse software.

Your cause might be different, but there are actually relatively few complaints on this and we cannot reproduce in-house. Therefore, there is some additional factor involved.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for new admin user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up wiping my drive and reinstalling Lion from scratch. Back to stable environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would point to some conflict in the environment having an impact on Photoshop. Would be good to know what the secret sauce is that's causing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I use an ordinary Apple Magic Mouse and an ordinary Apple bluetooth keyboard with no special software. No tablet or anything like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: turning off bluetooth and using a USB mouse does not fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some software that controls the mouse, right? You need to disable it. It's actually the side-car application that is probably hijacking the keystroke.

If your problem persists, I'm happy to do a screenshare via the 'net to troubleshoot the problem with you.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Any way I could get your help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing, Jared. When are you free? Following up with email now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem. Oddly enough, simply turning off my standard Apple mouse and turning it back fixed my issue. Not sure how to explain it, but it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's flippin' weird. Let us know if it comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently still experiencing the problem on and off, and I tried your suggestion of turning the mouse off and back on, and I didn't work. Darn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the issue all morning, and when I converted a paragraph-text layer to point-text, it stopped! Will see if I can reproduce *when* the problem comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another dead end. Issue came back later and I tried switching the text layer type from paragraph to point, and this time it didn't affect the problem - text is still getting deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, if you actually want help troubleshooting this problem, then please let us know.

We haven't seen the problem in-house doing multiple installs on various machine configurations, so clearly there's another variable here. If you're connected to the internet, we can use Adobe's screensharing software to troubleshoot the problem together.

Otherwise, there's really not much more we can do but guess at what might fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, but it doesn't appear that there is any software to control the mouse... just controlled in the regular settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you available to screen share troubleshoot? I've uninstalled 99% of my third-party software and still having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have some time today. I'm located in Minnesota (CST). I am available from 11-noon CST and 2-3pm CST

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this time I have nailed the problem. Able to recreate 5 out of 5 times.

It's Speech Dictation. If it is triggered via shortcut key while Photoshop is running, the text/cursor deletion problem instantly starts happening. My shortcut on the keyboard for this sometimes gets accidentally hit, which explains why the problem wasn't always surfacing.

Turning Dictation off instantly solved the problem, until the next time it runs.

If anyone wants me to demonstrate let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More specifically - when Dictation is triggered and does *not* successfully input text (it just makes that 'fail beep' and exits) then it seems after that failure Dictation is still 'hunting' for a place for insertion. When I actually spoke text to get inserted, then applied that text layer text, the cursor does not freak out again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone else confirm whether dictation is triggered/enabled on their systems as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, dictation was on on my system. I turned it off while PS was running and the problem persisted. But when I quit PS and relaunched it (with dictation off), the problem is gone. I can't guarantee that it won't reappear but for the time being I can edit text fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! ... Yes! Dictation was on, I turned it off and problem is gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks,

I believe we have the smoking gun for this one. So far every user I've spoken with finds the problem goes away when they turn off the dictation function in Mavericks. Further digging shows that the app works, but if a user attempts to record while Photoshop is not in a state to accept text, then the dictation app then stores some sort of + in its buffer, which is then added to anything selected, such as text you're trying to edit!

If anyone continues to have a problem, please let me know, but otherwise, I think we can call this issue at least as resolved via a workaround. I have logged a bug, although this is probably ultimately an Apple issue.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate