• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS5/CS6 text deletes when highlighted for editing on MacOS 10.9

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since an update to OS 10.9 on a mid 2012 MBP 2.7 GHz i7 with 16 GB Ram, CS5 is not allowing me to update text. When I select the text tool type text and then return to the text and highlight it to change font or style, the text disappears, and is actually deleted. This happens when I select any text in any of my psd files, or when I create new files.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013
Howdy folks,

I believe we have the smoking gun for this one. So far every user I've spoken with finds the problem goes away when they turn off the dictation function in Mavericks. Further digging shows that the app works, but if a user attempts to record while Photoshop is not in a state to accept text, then the dictation app then stores some sort of + in its buffer, which is then added to anything selected, such as text you're trying to edit!

If anyone continues to have a problem, please le...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
135 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Dictation is the culprit. However turning off the dictation didn't solve it 100% for me. I had 'use enhanced dictation' turned on, which ended up being the specific setting that caused highlighted text to delete itself. So it's possible to use dictation, just make sure your enhanced dictation setting is unchecked and it solved all my problems. Thank you David for leading me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, though I actually had the 'Enhanced' bit completely disabled the whole time (never used it). For me, as long as Dictation successfully inserts text, or gets turned off completely, it resolves the text deletion issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the same thing; as long as I successfully inserted text the bug doesn't happen either with or without Enhanced. I also found, however, that even if I didn't use Dictation in PS but did in another app unsuccessfully, it would still destabilize PS. Just a heads up to keep in mind...8-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a frustrating problem with Photoshop on my Macbook Pro. I can enter text without any problem, but the minute I try to edit it, resize, change font or colour it totallt dissappears and the layer name revers to 'layer x" (whatever number it is). This problem has appeared since the upgrade to OSX Mavericks, but only on my Macbook Pro...it does not happen on my 27" iMac which is running the same OS.

I have totally uninstalled all my CC Apps on the Mackbook Pro, reinstalled Photoshop CC, same problem.

I uninstalled CC again, and reinstalled Photoshop CS6, same problem.

this is despite having run the software without problem previously.

The Macbook Pro is a early 2010 model, has only 256 graphics...so cant run the 3D option of CC,but it has 8gig ram...the only difference between the Macbook Pro and iMac in terms of spec is the different graphics card size. (iMac is late 2012 newer version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya Mark,

These was a bug similar to what you are describing in the past, but it has been fixed since CS6. That said, files which were created or edited using previous versions of Photoshop could have the problem introduced and there is no way to "fix" the particular file.

Are you seeing this problem with newly-created files or only with files which already existed?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, I am still having this problem under some use cases, similar to what Mark described above. I posted a comment on this thread a couple of months ago. I am a longtime adobe user and would be happy to do a screen share or something to show you the problem in action. That might be better than trying to explain it in words. Thanks, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sending you an email...8-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem went away when I turned off the dictation feature in Mavericks. It was previously print in both CS6 and CC newly created files.This is obviously a compatibility issue existing between the Adobe product and the feature on the OS. I don't use the dictation feature so the fix works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked For me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David, the DICTATION & SPEECH function switch off works a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact issue
I haven't been able to use photoshop for months

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dictation is off. i cannot edit any text, I can add text but not edit it because it auto deletes. what id the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Once Dictation has something in the buffer, you need to clear it out. If you're still having trouble, I would recommend rebooting the OS and making sure you do NOT relaunch Dictation. If that does not solve your problem, please let us know what OS version you are running, what version of Photoshop, and any other apps or utilities you might also be running.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2014 Mar 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC on Mavericks: Turning off dictation solved this for like half a day. Problem started happening again. Turned off dictation, restarted comp, problem is still occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty easy to accidentally enable dictation with a keyboard shortcut - and is probably why customers are seeing this more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shortcut has been disabled, that's not the issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that you are encountering this problem with Dictation off? If turning it off fixed the issue for a while, how are you sure you didn't turn it back on by accident?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; if there's a problem there still, I'd like to hear about it and solve it. But, based on what you've shared, it does sound like Jeff's right and Dictation was accidentally re-enabled.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David - I've toggled off Dictation as well as the keyboard shortcut. (Double pressing fn) The problem has still been persisting after some use in PS. Restarting PS fixes it temporarily. To the best of my knowledge though, Dictation and the keyboard shortcut are toggled off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Andrew,

Okay. Sounds like there might be something else going on. Could you keep an eye on it. If it happens again, go back to Dictation and turn it off. If Dictation is not on or the problem persists, ping me (I'll follow up with an email) and we can try and troubleshoot it next week, ok?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, found this thread and turning off dictation fixed it! (Mavericks, Photoshop CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !!!!, I had the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same issue. dictation wasnt on. cleared the preferences, downloaded updates and installed. same problem persists. happen both in MAC Mavericks and Window 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

What kind of tablet are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using Macbook pro. OS X 10.9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

Are you sure this is happening on Win8 as well? What kind of tablet or non-mouse pointer are you using? Have you installed any custom software to manage key-combos or do screen captures?

Would you be willing to demo the problem via a web-hosted screenshare?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate