• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

The team is looking into, thank you!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Current status on this "stuck mouse-down" issue.

We're continuing to have extraordinary difficulty reproducing the issues at Adobe. We understand that for many of you in this thread the issue is happening very frequently, to the point of making the latest versions of Photoshop unusable.

Some of our users (Vit K, Alan P) in this thread added instrumentation to Photoshop using developer tools (Spy++) and observed in their fail cases that Photoshop was not even getting the WM_LBUTTONUP message

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 636 Replies 636
636 Comments
Explorer ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 24.5 the hand tool often remains stuck. Holding the spacebar or simply activating the tool, when the mouse button is released, the tool is stuck moving the image - like I'm still holding the mouse button! Another click often doesn't help!

Have to reinstall an earlier version of PS, because the current version is annoying and unusable!

Windows 10, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

Preferences > Tools > "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom" turned off, but still doesn't helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 24.5 yesterday and immediately started experiencing a problem where when I press the keys for pan, or zoom, they stick and won't let go.  They won't let go until I actually click the mouse.  I reset my Photoshop preferences to default but that did not solve the problem.  So I uninstalled the latest version and went back to 24.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm I am also experiencing this issue. Only occurs after updating to 24.5. Hand tool gets stuck when panning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and it's slowly driving me insane...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it made work almost impossible for me. I use hand a lot. I wanted to go back... But Photoshop decided to delete all my settings from the older version and I have no time set all that operations and scripts (:

I tried all the solutions I've found - resetting tools, changing graphics settings... I feel like we are ona brink of "it's not a bug it's a feature" T_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and it's similar with the looking glass tool. One tyou click it gets stuck T_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, I've tried it on two different machines. When I hold the spacebar to get the hand tool it stays active after releasing and I get stuck panning my image. Usually after a couple of mouse clicks the hand tool will 'release' and stop panning and switch back to the tool I was previously using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any solution yet ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encountered a similar situation. And I feel bad for it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. it's not possible to work with this bug. I can do my jobs not in the calculated time. Adobe should refund the monthly subscription amount for this bug. Sorry Adobe "Rapid Deployment fu.... Software"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unworkable. Unistalled and re-installed previous version. Then the 20yr old headache of trying to get the stylus working properly again. Cost me over half a days work. Should have known better than to update the software so soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, it's beyond annoying!!!! I was sure for a second it was also sticking when using keys to change size of brushes. But definitely for zoom and pan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this bug is also common when using polygonal lasso ((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be no solution other than a downgrade. It's the same when you disable flick panning

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that the problem only occurs for owners of Nvidia 30.40 series video cards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really, it happens on my 10-year old laptop and on my desktop, and I don't have a 30.40 series Nvidia video card. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to all 20,30,40 series graphics cards. (Nvidia)

Very strange 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 16 series , i have same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here and it's driving me insane. Hopefully more people will complain so we can get a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "sticky hand" situation is driving insane everyone in my office. The looking glass tool is also broken. I use both of them hundreds of times every day.

Reverting back to the older version is only half of a solution since another bug makes old versions incredibly slow. Oh, the joys of using Adobe products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 24.5 is broken abut that funciton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I can't click out of the hand tool and I can't use the space button when typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, I thought my computer had a virus, so I turned on the anti-virus first... lol 😃 This is annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That bug also occurs in my system. I suspect Photoshop because my computer is not bad. (RYZEN5600X / 3070RTX)

Votes

Translate

Translate