• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Cursor stuttering & screen flickering in Photoshop on high refresh rate G-sync monitors

Mentor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're a nvidia gsync user and experiencing mouse stuttering in Ps (and all Adobe apps), try turning off gsync to see if that resolves the issue. 
Basically what happens is that any activity in an Adobe app will result in 2-3 seconds of micro-cursor stuttering (looks like frame rate dropping) and the occasional 3-4 seconds of cursor freeze. Disabling gsync fixes the issue. This behavior appears only in Adobe apps and none other.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Explorer , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

I turnet G-Sync off and the problem was solved. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

First, try disabling GPU in the Lightroom Preferences (Performance tab). Any better?

If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.

If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. On the Mac, that's part of the OS update(s) so if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022
Community Expert , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Make sure you go to PS prefs and turn on HDR display suppor under Technology Previewst. Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.44.12 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Hello, IIRC, in the past some customers reported fixing some display issues by deactivating G-Sync in their drivers.

I would also  try to check "Deactivate Native Canvas" in the menu Edit/Preferences/Technology preview (Pc) or Photoshop/Preferences/Technology preview (Mac) .
This is not a fix, but rather a way to check if the issue appears only with the new technology, and should be reported to the Ps team.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find G-sync in Nvidia Control Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experimenting the same issue, Adobe please fix this nonesense. Just make it a priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this issue for a few years now and the only way to fix it for me is to turn off GPU acceleration in Ps/Lr or turn off G-Sync altogether. All of my software and drivers are up to date and G-Sync is off in relevant profiles. Like a previous user said, I've been using Adobe products for years and G-Sync since 2014 and never ran into this issue until a few years back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only solution to this so far has been changing the global setting to 'Monitor Refresh Rate: Fixed Refresh Rate'. If you are gaming or using software that uses G-SYNC, you must manually set their profiles to Monitor Refresh Rate: G-SYNC to involke it or if there's a setting that overrides that in the game preferences, use it. Adobe could easily fix this by adding an option in preferences: 'Request Max Frame Redraw (Uses more power)' to tell the GFX card to overlay a redraw layer that utilizes the maximum refresh rate of the monitor independent of the redraw capability of Photoshop. That would solve the problem of flickering on default enabled G-SYNC drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, by 'Monitor Refresh Rate' I actually mean 'Monitor Technology' in my previous post. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I had a brand new 4090 and was experiencing this weird issue, as well. Turned off G-sync and it works perfectly. How strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

বাগরাউন্ড 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aloha zusammen!

Ich weiß nicht, ob es zum Unterhaltungstyp "Fehler" passt, aber...

Wenn ich den Mauszeiger von der Fläche mit dem zu bearbeitenden Bild zu den Fenstern (Farbfelder, Eigenschaften, Ebenen, etc..) wechsle, genauer gesagt, ich überquere die Scrollleiste nach rechts in die Fenster, dann ruckelt die ganze App inkl. des Mauszeigers für ein paar Sekunden. Dann ist wieder alles in Ordnung und ich kann in den Fenstern weiterarbeiten.

Auf dem Weg zurück ruckelt es nicht.

Das Gleiche habe ich beim "Betreten" der Menü-/Symbolleiste oben.

Das Spiel wiederholt sich jedes Mal, wenn ich den oben beschriebenen Weg gehe.

Ich konnte das Problem lösen, indem ich unter (Bearbeiten >) Voreinstellungen > Leistung > den Haken "Grafikprozessor verwenden" wegmache.

Schade eigentlich. Ich hätte gern meine RTX 4090 im Hintergrund gehabt, die mich unterstützt.

Ich benutze PS 25.5.0.

Die nVidia-Grafiktreiber ist erst kürzilch aktualisiert worden.

Weiß jemand, wie ich den Grafikprozessor verwende UND keine Ruckler auftreten?

Lieben Dank für einen Gedankenanstoß! 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @DeDaDo. I'll need more info to help you figure this out. Please share the system info from Photoshop Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload & attach here. 

Does this happen after a specific series of steps? If disabling GPU helps, you can follow the variety of suggestions: https://adobe.ly/3TtsbcG

There are a few things you can check at the OS level.
1 - Try disabling G-Sync from the Nvidia Control panel. 

2 - Try changing the Screen Refresh rate in Windows Settings & check the same in the Nvidia Control panel for Photoshop specifically. 

Let me know how it goes. Thanks! 
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer, 

thanks for reaching out! 🙂

As I have a RTX 4090 I think that this graphics card is quite compatible 😄

I even did a screen capture video of my pointer while "crossing the border" to the property windows on the right.

I am seeing a stuttering pointer but in the video there's nothing stuttering.

Disabling G-Sync works. No stuttering in Photoshop anymore. 

But I don't think this can be the answer as I am gaming more often on this machine than using PS.

The screen refresh rate of my desktop is 144 Hz - just like my monitor. Via the nVidia Control Panel I had set the refresh rate for PS to 144 Hz a while ago, as well as VSync to "on".

Undoing those two settings unfortunately remained without success.

Only disabling G-Sync seems to help. But sorry, that is no option for me, because the older PS versions worked fine even WITH G-Sync enabled! 😞

System info is attached.

Can I do something else to solve this problem? 😞

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@PECourtejoie Merci beaucoup!

Checking "Deactivate Native Canvas" did the trick for me! If I check that option and restart PS, the stutter is gone!! ❤️ Thank you! Now I can keep G-Sync and GPU support in PS enabled! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate