• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting the mask of currently active layer?

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting the mask of currently active layer? It's a very common action and it would really speed up some workflows.

I can't find it so I presume there is none. If so, it should be a thing. Thank you.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is! 
Check out this sweet, sweet list of layer tricks and tips. It is life changing.
http://veerle.duoh.com/design/article/photoshop_layers_tricks_and_shortcuts

Targeting the Layer Mask
  • Command (Mac) / Control (Win) + "\" (backslash) targets the layer mask in the Layers panel. Command (Mac) / Control(Win) + 2 targets the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean switching focus back and forth between the Layer and the Layer Mask so that you can switch between editing one or the other without having to click the thumbnails?

Focus Layer Thumbnail or Layer Mask:
   Command Shift 2
   Command Shift \

Those are macOS, but the Windows vacation of Control Shift 2 and Control Shift \ should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried with both Cmd-Shift-\ and Cmd-\. You don't need the Shift key, but it also doesn't affect it adversely if you do have the Shift key engaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@warren, The snippet I posted has both Mac and PC commands called out. And does not include the shift key in either. You may have mistaken the " Control (Win)" portion of the snippet for "Shift" instead?

Targeting the Layer Mask
  • Command (Mac) / Control (Win) + "\" (backslash) targets the layer mask in the Layers panel. Command (Mac) / Control(Win) + 2 targets the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max, i wonder why they couldn't have just made it so that cmd + \ would go back and forth between layer and mask. Like anyone would ever want to go from one side of the keyboard to the other just to go between the two.

Also, if you have your legacy channel shortcuts active, cmd-1 goes back to the layer, instead of cmd-2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Too bad it only works on US keyboard. I can't find where to change the shortcut so it works on any other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, I would expect a toggle with the same shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I've gone ahead and put in a feature request to make this change.  Your comments here are helpful in prioritizing this against all the myriad of other items in the pipe.

Have a good one,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@max... you know, I saw the quotes and mistlenly assumed it was a statement that you like to finish posts with (in teh same manner some like to have a quite as part of their email signature) and completely filtered it out.

I’m gonna have to slow down next time.

I wonder if shift was required in an old version? I’ve been isong those for a decade or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, if you are on a localised version, open the Channels panel when you have a layer with a layer mask selected, you will see its shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be working for all languages.  I just noticed that it's broken in German on Mac, for instance.  I'm going to go ahead and log a bug to get it checked and fixed for all languages.  Sorry for the hassle.
Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate