• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Layer, Brushes and Swatches Panel gets reset to the default after restart!

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally I am seeing people having similar issues with PS 2020 and hoping to make some noise and get Adobe to address this bug eventually.

Every time I close and reopen PS, on my WIN PC or WIN laptop, it resets the panels to it's default values. It all started with the layers panel, shuffing all my custom, neatly organized layer styles into one folder calling it 'Your Styles', resets the panel settings and adds the default layer styles.

The same goes for the Brushes and Swatches Panel now, only started a day or two ago. But these two panels get completly wiped out, removing all my custom assets and leaving me with the default assets and resetted panel settings.

I have done so much troubleshooting which did not make one bit of a difference, even uninstalled the whole CC suit and starting from scratch.

Adobe community thread: https://adobe.ly/2vhbIzK
Many, many more people reporting this issue!

Thanks.
Janine

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Foxed in 21.1.3 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me. This needs to be fixed please. Reloading my tools every time isn't the worst but I use plug-ins that get broken when they cannot find a specific tool in the presets folder. Having to reconnect all of those everyday is ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found out something rather interesting.  I will pass it along and hopefully it will work for others.  As I was reloading my brushes for the zillionth time, I thought about the size limitation for importing brush files.  You probably already know about the 2GB limit for importing any saved brush files, and that got me thinking.  So I ran this test about 40 times and it worked as expected each time.

1.  I made sure to export my brushes in 3 files that were about 800 MB per export.  When I restarted PS it of course reverted back to default.

2.  I cleared the default brushes and imported two of the saved brush files, about 1.6 GB.  With that done I exited and restarted PS, MY BRUSH FILES WERE THERE, IT DID NOT REVERT!!!

3.  I imported the third saved brush file (bringing the total of the imported files to 2.4 GB), I then exited PS and restarted and it had reverted back to default.

4.  Did the over  2 GB / under 2 GB trial runs about 40 times, each time I exited PS with more than 2 GB of brushes loaded it would revert back to default upon restart, if I exited PS with less than 2 GB of brushes loaded they would all be there when I restarted PS.

It appears that the 2 GB limit on importing saved brush files also affects reloading the brush files that are showing up fine while you are using PS.  So if you have less than 2 GB of brush files loaded when you  exit, they should load up fine upon restart.  At least that is the result that I have been getting on all of my test runs.  Adobe should obviously already know about this if that is the actual problem and they should fix it and stop playing dumb.

All that I can say is that I am happy not to have to reload the brushes each time I start PS now, I have pared down my brushes to the ones that I actually use and have not had a problem with them loading since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it reverts because at the brush toolbar, next to opacity value is the icon "ALWAYS USE PRESSURE FOR OPACITY" or flow or anything, so, you need to set them OFF and the settings in brush panel will work with your settings... it wont revert changes... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay.
| have reproduced it. and we are testing a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, and someone who has a lot of Tool Presets and Brushes...  is is the size of Texture Tips, Patterns, quantity of brushes or something else that drives this over 2GB?

For example, I can easily simulate and (re-create) test the issue with as little as 3 Brushes and some massive texture brush tips.

Thanks
🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using layer styles quite often and have loads of style presets. If my imported layer style presets exceed the 2GB, PS will reset to it's default settings as well.

Thanks for looking into this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank your for the feedback, and the fix should include Styles over 2GB as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome news Daniel.  With all the above said. I've had to reduce all my presets, brushes, styles and patterns so that when I close Photoshop, it will shutdown quickly. When my total presets total over 3GB, Photoshop takes ages to shutdown with the spinning wheel thing happening.

I've managed to keep each of my presets under the 2GB total, which stops any of the presets resetting to the default setting but overall, the total of all my presets makes Photoshop sluggish when shutting down.

I work using many presets, so I've just culled and saved my most used presets and now Photoshop behaves correctly when shutting down.

I have Windows OS. Latest update, latest drivers.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Out of curiosity, and someone who has a lot of Tool Presets and Brushes...  is is the size of Texture Tips, Patterns, quantity of brushes or something else that drives this over 2GB?

Yes, absolutely.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got around to testing the fix and so far it seems to be working, will see if I can get to 10GB without a reset.  Do you know if there is a new upper limit Daniel?  Thanx for the update and the patch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Foxed in 21.1.3 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate