• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the same problem since updating.

I have re-installed both PS and LRc but still the same problem.

I was waiting to see if a bug fix turned up but nothing so far.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem. ( Windows 10 by the way. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made many comments about this on the Community. It all comes down to write new computer code. I cannot utilize PS because of a graphics card --Open CL is greyed out. Others have: cannot open. Others have cannot open as a smart object. This is all confounding and Adobe is NOT working night and day to fix this while many photographers and studios are losing thousands and thousands of dollars because they cannot utilize PS as usual and do what we all want to do. HELP Adobe. Get busy writing new code. We are NOT going to spend $ for a new computer, or a new graphics card, and we do not want to go to an entirely new software because you cannot perform adequately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totalmente de acuerdo, ADOBE  tiene que solucionarlo sino quiere perder clientes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/... 

Please try the fix in this thread and see if Lightroom Classic and Photoshop behave normally again.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me.

Just want to say thanks to Rikk, Jeff and the Adobe Engineering team for the work and care they put in trying to resolving this issue. I had a rare insight this morning into the "behind the scenes" time and effort spent on this and was quite impressed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the .txt file as directed.  When starting PS, I get a message about the GPU detection being off.  Howver, I still have a totally black screen and no ability to click on anything at all, even to close PS.  Have to use task manager to quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't have this. Thank you for letting all of us know. We continue to lose money and time. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DSS555 This thread is about an error when doing Edit In from Lightroom to Photoshop. Please start another thread if you have a different issue (black canvas, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pdnRPH Did you try the workaround that worked for @DWEITZMAN ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"install a new GPU, going from integrated Intel HD to AMD Radeon RX550 4GB, and that did fix the issue"  This is not a possibility. I have an AIO from Dell, costing $3,000, and I would have to send it to Dell to accomplish this. The AMD software is up to date. I have 32GB RAM. This all went haywire when the code in this last PS update went awry.  I don't know if this would work??

1. Click Run, and regedit or regedt32
2. In the Registry Editor, open HKEY_CURRENT_USER
3. Open Software
4. Open Adobe
5. Open Photoshop
6. Use latest number. Mine was 160.0 Right-click on the number, and select NEW-->DWORD Value and name it AllowOldGPUS.
7. Now there is a new DWORD Value named AllowOldGPUS.
Double click on it and set Value Data to 1
Restart Photoshop and go to Preferences-->Performance and enable OpenCl

OR

if this would work:

Then install the attached file (PSUserConfig.txt) in your Photoshop Settings folder:
Windows:

[Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\[Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\

GPUDeny 1

Tell me. We remain in trouble with an impaired computerization with PS, and thousands of us are losing thousands of dollars daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fixworkaround worked for me... Thank you.

For those that are complaining about losing hours and hours of productivity ... just uninstall this version and install the previous 22.x version.  You will be just as productive as you were when you were using 22.x and don't need to keep complainng that you're losing money.  As a subscription service, there appears to be about 4 previous versions available... I wish someone had mentioned that earlier.  I had assumed (incorrectly) that I'm stuck with the latest version but no... 

Merry Christmas - hope your coders work out what borked when they decided to add in a GPU check to simply pass over a RAW file from LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same. The Graphics card is showing. However, Open Cl is still greyed out. No go. And PS works the same- crippled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great News (for me at least)
There were updates available for Photoshop, Lightroom and ACR yesterday evening which I downloaded this morning. This seems to have done the trick my Lightroom - Photoshop connection is now working again.

I do get a pop-up when launching Photoshop showing "Graphics Processor Compatibility Check". when I 'OK' this photoshop opens with my photo. (this popup can be hidden by checking the "Do Not Show Again" box at the bottom f the pop-up..

FWIW the new versions I have are:
Photoshop 23.1.0
Lightroom 14.1
Camera Raw: 14.1
(I'm not sure if these numbers have changed).

Thanks Adobe. I was planning on reverting to Photoshop 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear this. I hope thousands and thousands more are experiencing the same. I am still not. I am looking for Adobe and AMD and Dell to fix all of this. I is so important to have the graphics software code writers make this work FOR AMD and Dell and not just expect it will be ok. It is not ok. Bankruptcy will become imminent by December 31st if this is not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revert to 2021.  It worked for you before they upgraded... it will STILL WORK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My post was moved into this thread which was of littel use.  However yeaterday's updates solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last updates have resolved the problem! So cool !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I’m in LR and I right click on the image and select “Edit in Photoshop 2022” I have problems.  LR immediately opens PS with no issues.  LR then takes over a minute and displays this message:

I click “OK” and it proceeds to send the image from LR to PS where it opens without any problems.  I have the latest edition of LR Classic and PS.  I have plenty of RAM running on Windows.  Why is this happening??  Thanks, JeffLR Problem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@millerje Make sure you install the Photoshop 23.1 update and other recent updates. It should correct this problem for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the latest version of Photoshop 23.1 and Lightroom Classic 11.1 and “merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop “ works well – Photoshop launched automatically and loaded the three images from Lightroom.

Ted Dixon

Sent from Mail for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All updated apps, but still no roundtrip from photoshop.  M1 Pro Macbook Pro.  Lightroom 5.1 and Photoshop 23.1.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bq2017 Do you get an error "Photoshop could not be launched" or some other behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate