• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not fixed it.  There are, apparently many of us in this boat... Please have your support guys find a fix for this... it really screws the workflow 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - I have LrC and PS also installed on a laptop for travelling, and all the options to "Edit in..." are greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME EXACT ISSUE HERE AND ITS FRUSTRATING!!!!! I have a lot of work to do and this has been holding me back.... Why has there been no fix for all of this, i ahve tried everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that didn't work for me 😞 

I continue to be unable to "Edit in...", "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop" - absolutely nothing happens, and "Edit in...", "Edit in Photoshop 2022" waits an age, tells me that it cannot be opened, and then, eventually, opens it !

This is very, very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to LrC v11.0.1 and PS 23, but LrC will *not* open as Smart Object in PS nor will it Edit in PS

Both apps have been uninstalled and reinstalled, keeping preferences, then prefs reset, but still this issue persists.

Latest error message when trying to open PS

craddny_0-1637528236824.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi in die Runde, 

bei mir haben sich vor wenigen Tagen Lightroom  Classic und Photoshop aktualisiert. Seitdem kann ich keine Bilder mehr einfach über "Bearbeiten In" zu Photoshop senden und dort mit Ebenen arbeiten. 

Lightroom Classic ist jetzt auf Version 11
Photoshop auf 2022. 
Ich nutze Windows 10

Das Ganze wird dadurch merkwürdig, da trotz geöffneter PS Version in Lightroom die Meldung auftaucht, dass PS nicht gestartet werden konnte und dadurch eine Bearbeitung nicht möglich sei. 

Wenige Augenblicke später taucht dann aber doch das Bild in PS auf, aber ohne Ebenen usw. und LR wurde eine Kopie schon erstellt, ohne das ich eine solche durch das speichern PS habe angewiesen. 

Wie ist das Ganze zu lösen? Ich würde gerne wieder einfach von LR in PS "Bearbeiten in" klicken und dort noch Feinheiten vornehmen, mit Ebenen usw.

Bin über jede einfache und verständliche Hilfe dankbar, bitte gerne auf Deutsch.

Grüße

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before upgrading to latest versions of lightroom/photoshop, I could as I should, select photos in lightroom, select open as layers on photoshop and it all worked fine. After updating to latest versions, no longer works. I've seen lots of discussion on this from previous versions, etc having this problem and tried some fixes, all to no avail. I've tried completely uninstalling/reinstalling, updating catalogs, deleting catalogs and starting over, nothing seems to be helping. Is it possible to "downgrade" and go back to older versions of lightroom/photoshop? Attached screen shots of what LR/PS show me, takes a minute or more for LR to decide it can't open PS, this happens even if PS is already running in the background. Sucks to be paying monthly for something that is basically useless for what I am paying for it for. HELP someone... anyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui, toujours le problème malgrés les derniers correctifs PS appliqués...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Photoshop 2022 updated this evening to V23.0.2 apparently with some bug fixes. Unfortunatly the bug outlined in this threasd has not been fixed.(My Lightroom Classic is currently at v11.0.1)

To me this is a signicant fault and by all accounts it is causing problems for a considerable number of Lr/Ps users. Surely someone at Adobe must consider it worthy of investigation. 

Adobe, please get back to us and let us know what is happening this problem and when we can expect a fix....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, seems like there's a conflict between lightroom classic 11 and photoshop 2022 😞 when trying to edit in photoshop, the pshop app opens, but nothing happens, not showing any photo. Hope this issue will resolve soon 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree - this is exactly the same symptoms as I have.  Once I click the "OK" button it *does* open the file (as a .psd) but only when I "Edit in..." not "Open as Smart Object..".  Upgraded to 23.0.2 this morning, no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here: Windows 10 21H2, LrC 11.0.1, PS 23.0.2. Tried all suggestions I found on this and other threads but none of them worked. The entire integration between LrC and PS is behaving differently. In prior releases, when you tried to edit a RAW (.NEF in my case) in PS, it opened in PS as a RAW and a TIF is not created until you save in PS. Now, when you click OK after you get that error message (in about a minute or more), then it creates the TIF first and then loads that into PS rather than the RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here: Windows 10 21H2, LrC 11.0.1, PS 23.0.2. Tried all suggestions I found on this and other threads but none of them worked. The entire integration between LrC and PS is behaving differently. In prior releases, when you tried to edit a RAW (.NEF in my case) in PS, it opened in PS as a RAW and a TIF is not created until you save in PS. Now, when you click OK after you get that error message (in about a minute or more), then it creates the TIF first and then loads that into PS rather than the RAW. This thread is marked as solved, but it is definitely NOT solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wenn ich aus LrC ein Bild an PS 2022 zur Bearbeitung übergeben will, erscheint in LrC die Meldung: Die Datei konnte nicht bearbeitet werden, da PS 2022 nicht gestartet werden konnte. 

PS 2022 wird aber gestartet, jedoch öffnet sich die Bilddatei nicht in PS 2022.

Ich habe jeweils die aktuellsten Versionen von LrC und PS 2022 installiert. 

Kann mir da jemand weiterhelfen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did go to AMD Radeon settings since it is a separate graphics card, and changed almost all settings to Use application settings. Then in the Windows OS, I went to graphics and took Photoshop out of there, but left Lightroom with high performance. I went back to AMD Radeon settings to switch graphics and made sure it was AMD Radeon for Photoshop. Since the update yesterday, it seems to be working, but have not had to experience a new image in Lightroom and send to Photoshop to test it out. I still open Lightroom first, then Photoshop, then import new images, then send to PS. I can let you know as soon as I am in a new bunch of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like you, I have tried everything I see on the web, and more, but nothing has worked so far.  Where do we turn next???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question!

I'm asking every contact that I know!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now. I opened PS in my laptop after updating, and it IS a problem. No error, but cannot do several things. Only has an Intel graphics card on board, but it just shows poor code writing. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe offer Zero help on here for this issue. Perhaps being ignored as someone has wrongly posted SOLVED!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other curious thing I have noticed with PS 23.0.2: the "Help | About Photoshop..." dialog does not display. You get a busy cursor briefly, then the cursor goes back to normal but the dialog doesn't display. You can still do most other things in PS, but the first 5 items on the Help menu are greyed out. Thinking there must be something corrupted in the installation, I have uninstalled and then reinstalled, but it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other curious thing I have noticed with PS 23.0.2: the "Help | About Photoshop..." dialog does not display. You get a busy cursor briefly, then the cursor goes back to normal but the dialog doesn't display. You can still do most other things in PS, but the first 5 items on the Help menu are greyed out and you can't close the application. Thinking there must be something corrupted in the installation, I have uninstalled and then reinstalled, but it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hving the same problem.  In addition, I can launch Photoshop 2022 by itself, but it now cannot see my image files, which are on a hard drive, not on someone else's hard drive in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using PS V 23.0.2 an LRC V 11.0.1

As of this afternoon I can no longer open files directly into Photoshop

or send photos to Photoshop from LR. This is the message I get when I try to right click, send image to PS from LR

LR seems to be behaving normally.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:

1. Use the CC application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences. 

2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. 

Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3 times with Adobe and over 5 hours with no solution!  I'm swamped in work and need this back into my workflow! 

Votes

Translate

Translate