• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Merging layers or layer groups deletes pixels outside of image window.

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 deletes any pixels outside the image area when merging layers or layer groups.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014
This issue should be fixed in the most recent updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be mistaken.
Edit: Merging Layers that extend beyond the Canvas simply does not seem to behave as the OP claims.

Are Layer Masks involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merge Layers (Cmd+E) with no group included in the selection will preserve off-canvas pixels.
Merge Layers (Cmd+E) with group(s) included in the selection will remove off-canvas pixels.
Merge Groups (Cmd+E) removes off-canvas pixels.

A workaround to preserve off-canvas pixels when merging group(s) or a combined selection of group(s) and layer(s):
Ungroup Layers (Shift+Cmd+G), Merge Layers (Cmd+E)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hadn’t tested for groups, but as the OP’s claim regarding »merging layers« seemed plainly incorrect it did not seem important to me.

The behaviour for Groups seems unexpected indeed, but if the issue is connected to the newly improved features of Groups in CS6 I wonder if it can easily be remedied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be horrified if Adobe are constructing software in such a way that it prevents an easy remedy to this :)
Of course, a change will depend on whether Adobe will desire to change the group merging behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least one customer dislikes the behaviour so I guess they will at least consider making the change.

As for the easy remedy: I’m no programmer so I’m just guessing ... the new behaviour like the ability to use a Group as the base of a Clipping Mask might have necessitated introducing some »intermediate level« that might be problematic with regard to performance if off-canvas content would be included.
And then there’s the issue that with an application as voluminous as Photoshop changing anything at all might be risky ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: "And then there’s the issue that with an application as voluminous as Photoshop changing anything at all might be risky ..."

That's what my "horrified" comment regards. It would have been shockingly bad practice if the software is constructed in a way that prevents implementing the particular change in group-merge behaviour which we're discussing. Please realise that I am not suggesting that the bad practice has occurred. On the contrary, I'm confident that the only reason we'll not see a change is if Adobe do not want to make the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Connor. Your workaround works... as by brother who uses CS6 also pointed out to me. I hope it's a bug that gets fixed as it drives me crazy. I use PS every day as a freelance illustrator. In fact I've purchased and used nearly every iteration of PS since version 2.0. Yes, that's a long time with this software. I could get used to the workaround or create an action to group-ungroup-merge layers, but I hope Adobe fixes it. Frankly I'm surprised this bug would be created by the new CS6 "update" release.

I also tried this simple experiment using filters on layers.
Create a shape, in my case a circle on an empty transparent layer. Fill it with pixels (any color). Drag it half outside the canvass. Applie a gaussian blur (high amount-- like 20 pixels). Drag the shape back onto the canvass and the right side of the shape blur is clipped. Strange and unacceptable.
Try it and see if it happens to you.

I found this bug using Photoshop CS6 on an actual job I was doing. I immediately closed my file and opened in CS5 and finished my job.
I can't use CS6 in its current form as my professional work would suffer too greatly. I REALLY hope someone at Adobe recognizes these bugs and fixes them.
Thanks again for your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, on the gaussian blur experiment. Drag the shape completely out of the canvas area. Apply the filter then bring it back. The shape will look like this-- clipped on the right:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with CS6 on OS X 10.6.8. Like you said earlier, the target of the blur doesn't need to be completely outside the canvas for the clipped edge to occur. And blurs in addition to Gaussian are affected; maybe all of the blur filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a problem in CS6, CS5 didn't have this problem. Logged this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the most recent updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
In which updates? Subscription based or Perpetual license based?

I've just recreated the install package using AAMEE 3.1 and it insists all updates have been applied; bug is STILL present.

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate