Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Move tool targeting imprecise

Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move Tool annoyance in Photoshop CS6.
I use the move tool alot in my work, with high fidelity mockups for interface design. I rely on precision and predictability in my workflow. In Photoshop CS6 with the move tool set to auto-select layer, i would suspect the move tool to select the excact element im targeting at which it doesn't. it automatically selects nearby elements, which is a HUGE annoyance and disturbance. It ruins the workflow, and it's unpredicable.

Is there at least an option to remove this behaviour and just make it precise as in previous versions of photoshop?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016
I found a solution ! before dragging object with move tool click ctrl \ command and then there is no auto correct object placing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
153 Comments
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently gotten my company to invest in CS6, I am desiging high fidelity web design mockups, and also GUI's for apps and interfaces,

This is driving me to the edge, it's incredibly frustrating to have photoshop ignore the location of my mouse cursor and to assume that I am making a mistake and 'correct' it for me.

My cursor is where I want it to be, and I am clicking on what I intend to be clicking on. I need precision, I don't want photoshop to second guess my movements. It's really disrupting my work and I'm considering downgrading to CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well put.

Adding to your post - the ones most troubled by this change are the ones doing ui it looks like - the guys that deal with lots of little tiny layers, often VECTOR layers. We've spent years honing our mouse accuracy/hand-eye coordination. I can guesstimate pixels on the screen quite well, move my mouse very accurately pixel by pixel, I know exactly where my cursor's hotspot is, etc etc. . .

But now PS is saying, "Oh, you clicked 9px away from your actual target, silly! Here let me default to selecting that layer you didn't even click for you! High-five pal, we got it!!!"
Errrrr no . . .

To the dev(s) responsible for the 9px buffer variable, just change the "9" to a "0". There. I'll pay you anything. Kidding, kidding. But seriously . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just begun working with PsCS6 and I noticed this issue right away. I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be a preference for clicking and auto selecting that would enable/disable this feature?

Why would Adobe remove this preference and then impose it completely (and quite inaccurately)? I just got my company to purchase this, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE - fix this mofos. Not usable.
UI stuff too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big update today and yet this issue is not fixed... WHY????????????????????

FFS this is annoying. It has soured the new features in the update for me. I really don't care for looking at the new features now after seeing that this has not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the solution, I just downgraded to CS5.1 🙂 I've used CS6 for 1-2 days only

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please FIX/CHANGE this, I really am considering "downgrading" back to CS4 because it's that critical to my workflow. It's all too important that our move tool is as accurate as possible, I don't see how this is seen as a "feature"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Incredibly annoying and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Ps CS6 on Windows 7 x64 and while I did notice this behavior several times when I first installed a couple months ago, I cannot replicate the issue now.

I've created an image similar to the ones posted in this thread and cannot seem to make the problem occur. Anyone else with the same setup try it and get back to us with what you find?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the image using shapes? This is an issue with selecting shape layers not normal art layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the image using shapes? This is an issue with selecting shape layers not normal art layers. Certainly, and annoyingly, I still have problems selecting shape layers on the same set up you are running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Y'know what? I did not, no. I'll check using shapes. I hope Adobe updates this quickly given that it's been an issue for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get a delivery date on this bugfix already? I've been silently following the issue for five months and am rather appalled by the lack of support so far. This is a critical issue for customers paying a lot for something broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the above comment, that there has been no mention except for an acknowledgement of the problem a couple of months ago. An update (even if it was "still working on correcting it" would be nice. PS6 has so many really great improved features from previous Photoshop versions, it is a shame that it has this major problem when working with vector shape/layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, any communication would be very appreciated!

If it makes any difference could be inspirational, i tried illustrating a suggestion for a helpful solution (in my world anyway 🙂 ). Target assist would actually be the most awesome feature in the world, if implemented according to its uses. Normally, your eye-hand-screen coordination is trustworthy enough. But with very thin elements that are difficult to target, temporary target assist would make very much sense. So a simple solution could be for instance if you use the move tool and hold down Ctrl, target assist would kick in for when targeting those annoyingly thin or tiny elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely the more people that actively post here - the more likely this will get noted *hint hint*

I really wish our team hadn't got cs6 - the first ever suite upgrade I regret down to such a basic issue! (this and the memory issues!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I really wish our team hadn't got cs6 - the first ever suite upgrade I regret down to such a basic issue!"

Exactly how I feel except its me who is in charge of upgrading my team. Right now its just me using CS6 and I won't be upgrading the rest of the team until they fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this exact issue, very annoying. Running latest Photoshop version on mac os x 10.8.2.

Seems to happen most when I tab between different applications and come back to Photoshop. Get stuck with the hand when I actually want the default move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year! What would make it even happier would be an estimate time when this is likely to be fixed... This was raised 8 months ago and although 'acknowledged' worry that it's not actually 'in progress'... Would anyone at Adobe be able to give us any idea as to when this will be fixed? Some time estimate would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good people from adobe have our money and are actually still out celebrating the new year - you wont get a response from them....well ever as people continue to buy the defective product meaning they can continue to ignore our calls for help on their "community" forum.

I wonder what I could suggest as a new years resolution for adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Billy Stagg's concerns - this is a serious hindrance to my design workflow. I shell out the bucks to stay current on Adobe products and it's unfortunate when the cost extends to lost productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

instead of auto-select I have changed my workflow to manual-direct selection (name?) - you may get carpal tunnel fomr the keystroke but it is:

ctrl+cmnd+option then click the item - it will select the exact layer your cursor is on.

You can also add +shift to select multiple layers. I love this ability- I use it CONSTANTLY.

I even have the bottom and top side-button set to these keystrokes on my wacom.

*Note you MUST be in the move-tool (V) for this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to see status change to
"IN PROGRESS" :)

Any possible news on how this is being implemented/fixed/designed Chris? Or even an eta.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if you could just install an update without and error, that would be great.
Even if they fix this, will we be able to update photoshop? Probably not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried Justin Coombs's method but I think thats not the good solution, Adobe Photoshop team shоuld fix it for web and interface designers.

PS: Guys! If you are reading this, please write your feedbacks because if this message would be huge with their users and feedback Adobe I think will mention this issue, otherwise we would look like a barking dog and Adobe Photoshop Dev team pass through this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate