• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P. Multiple occurrences of each font weight appearing in dropdown menu

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have the type tool selected in Photoshop CS6 and go to the font-weight dropdown it repeats the different weights multiple times.

e.g. Arial shows Regular weight 26 times.

I use Linotype Font Explorer X to manage my fonts.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012
Howdy folks,

This problem should be solved with the 13.0.1 patcher, released today. You can find it at:

Windows:
http://www.adobe.com/support/download...

Mac:
http://www.adobe.com/support/download...

Thanks!
David

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy SMC,

It sounds like your font cache has become corrupted. I would suggest checking out this document: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/t..., especially step #6, item #4.

If your problem persists after that, please let me know, but I REALLY expect this to fix it.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue too. 'Initializing type tool' often recurs while photoshop is in use and I end up with multiple weights of all fonts.

Did any of the solutions work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

Have you tried the solution I suggested? That SHOULD solve it unless you have a corrupt font or similar issue.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks david, that seems to have solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem...and it's driving me crazy! Whenever Photoshop is quit and reopened, the fonts show up fine...after a little time...this issue gets worse and worse. I've seen over 30 instances of the same weight. I've cleared the font cache, trashed the preferences, etc, etc....nothing will fix this problem. It ONLY shows up in Photoshop CS6. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the previous responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon, it hasn't solved the problem and the weights are still duplicating. I can't find an answer anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...I did, and headed them...I'll keep you updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jonathan,

Was the problem solved for a while and then returned? If so, I would guess you've got a problematic font on your hands. While there is a bug in CS6, it doesn't seem to be "aggressive" in that the fix should take care of it for quite some time. Is that not what you're seeing, Jonathan?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it was solved at all. It's the same problem as Christopher describes above. It starts off fine when you open photoshop but more and more duplicates appear over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset PS preferences. Restarted Photoshop...fonts were fine..after 5 minutes of working...back to the bug.

I turned off Font Preview...still happened.

I turned off OpenGL Drawing...still happened.

I trashed Photoshop's font cache. - still came back.

This happens on 2 computers I work on...not just my "work" computer...but also my home computer.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way...when did the ability to use quick-keys disappear in Photohop CS6 - or at least...they go away often... just now actually. When I hit v for layers...m for marque - etc... they won't work. This seems to be intermittent. Another bug that hasn't been fixed since CS5. I wish Adobe would update...fix...and repeat. They seem to fall asleep at the wheel in regards to updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David sorry I've not got round to replying to this sooner.

I followed step #6, item #4, and it did the trick initially, but then I found the problem cropped up again.

I have since noticed that it is only when working with certain shared PSDs, and have a feeling it may have something to do with corrupt fonts used in the file by various other designers.

I don't seem to be experiencing the problem with my other files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I would expect. Dicey fonts can create all sorts of problems. Most English fonts are okay, but as you get into more complex scripts, this problem comes up a lot (especially with Arabic fonts).

I'm glad your problem is solved. 8-)
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher and Jonathan,

If you read the posting from SMC or this thread (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh... among others), you can see that it is very often one or more dicey fonts that cause this problem. I would bet, therefore, that you have one or more fonts that are triggering the bug. While we are looking into a fix, one solution might be to run the script found under step #5 -- http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/t...

Please let us know your results, positive or negative.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david

I did all that the thread said to do...tested all my installed fonts. No errors...no crashes...still the same problem. I'm very particular about my fonts. I test them all. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work. See below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any more suggestions on this topic? Honestly, it's difficult to use PS CS6 with this problem. I'm open to do anything to fix it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher,

We're currently looking into a fix. In the meanwhile, I have two ideas I can offer.

One is to turn off font previews. Yeah, I know, not ideal, but likely to avoid triggering the bug any more.

The second is to try a binary search in order to find the one (or more) offending/corrupt fonts triggering this. The fastest way to do that would be take half of your fonts out (safely stored elsewhere), clean the caches, and see if the problem goes away. If so, then one or more of the fonts you took out has a problem. Otherwise, one or more of the fonts you have loaded contain the problem. Yes, very time consuming, but you wanted options.

Meanwhile, again, we are currently looking into the issue and are hoping to find a solution very soon.

Thanks and sorry for the hassle,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the problem has occurred again. I initially thought it was as a result of corrupt fonts used in a shared psd file, but I'm seeing the duplicate font weights on new files I've created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Every time I do a "save as" the fonts multiply. I have font preview turned off, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know about the problem, Tracy.

You should be able to avoid the issue by turning off font previews.

Also, for some users, the problem goes away (at least for a while) when they trash their font caches -- http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/t...

We ARE looking into a fix, but this is a bit elusive. It appears to be a problem with a few font generating corrupt previews which then corrupt the cache. Without removing the offending font, the problem is likely to return.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David.

I already have font preview turned off, but will try some of the other options that were mentioned.

This sure is a frustrating one. Good thing I still have PSD 5 and 5.5 loaded so I can use them 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue on my (identical) home and work iMacs. As both are relatively new, I don't have a ton of fonts installed on either yet, and am even experiencing this issue with system fonts!

Unlikely to be related, but FYI: I have opened the same files at home and at work, but not on anyone else's computer nor has anyone else opened them. I use Dropbox to share files between the two computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thea,

All you need to have this problem is ONE offending font. That font will corrupt the system cache, triggering the problem in any other font, system or third party. We are working on a fix, but because any font out there could be the offender, it can pop up any time.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate