• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New user interface lacks contrast and many usability cues, lots of other problems

Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Photoshop CC(2015) version 2015.1. Adobe changed the UI to the flat look you see on phones and tablets. I do not see any way to select the classic interface, which I'm sure many desktop users of PS prefer.

This feels yet another attempt by Adobe to be trendy without caring about what users want or need. Didn't they learn anything from the dumbed-down Lightroom import fiasco?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016
Hi everyone,

Adobe has released Photoshop CC 2017 today. This update contains the following 4 specific updates from this thread:

1) A new user preference to change the highlight color from grey to blue 
2) Increased contrasts of the lightest 3 color stops
3) Edit controls and popup/edit controls now have frames instead of underlines
4) The character panel is cleaner, divider lines removed for easier visibility

Thanks,
Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 672 Replies 672
672 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Mar 20, 2016 Mar 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Prefs (in both Ps and in Br) change the Color Theme to the lightest version and ACR should then operate in the light version.

You may have to reboot for the changes to take effect across all programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it works. The only drawback is that launching ACR from Bridge keeps the setting as light grey, launching from PS keeps ACR as dark grey.

Anyway, light or dark is the same crap they are so proud of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ACR panel with the sliders should be light if you set the Prefs accordingly . The "apron" area around the image can be set to any tone that you choose. Just Control-click on the apron and choose a colour from the drop-down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to CC yesterday at work and after retouching two photos went back to using CS6.  The flat grey on grey is completely pointless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna:

If you have CC, look for "Previous Versions" in the Desktop Creative Cloud. Open the flippy arrow and you should see "Ps CC 2014". That version will give you the old, and much nicer, UI and is also a considerable upgrade from CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters:
1. Put three-dimensionality back into the UI because the undifferentiated "Flat" look slows down recognizability (and thus efficiency and working-speed) enormously.

2. Make the Selection "Ants" and the Pen Tool Paths, Points and Handles MUCH more visible (stronger lines) and make them adopt complementary colours from the background image.

3. Allow the user the option of selecting colours for Layers and selected tools and fields if we want to because not everyone is distracted by the use of colour although the UX team apparently are?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I don't have access to previous versions of CC, I'm assuming because we just got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems totally unfair!

If someone is paying for a CC subscription, they should surely have the same privileges as anyone else who is subscribing — regardless of when they joined CC?!

Check CC / Apps list to see that you really haven't got access. Half way down the list you should see this:

If you really can't find it, I would call Customer Service and ask for this to be put right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it but my only option for an older version is CS6, nothing older in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try un-installing CS6 (doing it through the Desktop CC Panel) — but do preserve your Prefs and Settings!

Then click to Re-install a Ps Older version and you should see this "Available Versions" drop-down list after you click on the "Ps Install" button:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have zero options other than CC 2015 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try calling Customer Support and see if they can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still download Photoshop CC2014 (the best version) from the Adobe website -

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5771&fileID=5802

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, as new features are added, we are compelled into using the new interface. For example, the latest version allows you to have multiple instances of layer styles. A very useful feature. We may have to grin and bear it, because it doesn't look like they're going to reverse themselves on the swampy grayness of the new interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2015.0.1 release has this feature, without the new flat UI.  If you can roll back to that, you're best off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely well put. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the one I'm using and happy to stick with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-- how do you roll back the useable older interface? Is it in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think this thread would be eight pages long if it were that simple? All you can do is install an older version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe my eyes, after rolling back to CC2014 in PS I'm now faced with this in 3ds Max 2017, for gods sake what is going here, is everyone on the Microsoft skeuomorphic bandwagon. !!!!?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does 3ds Max have to do with Photoshop? It's hard enough to get Adobe to address concerns with their own products. Please don't dilute the conversation with complaints about other software. You also might want to check the definition of skeumorphic

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't see it your as blind as Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all a fad - the trouble is, Adobe (and other larger software companies such as Autodesk) always seem to be lagging behind: the flat look is already on the retreat on many websites, while it was very popular for a while.

Every time I open the new version of Photoshop at work my first response is to close it again. It is just so ugly looking, and eye-straining to work with.

Oh, regarding the word:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol, yeah I know..I'd had a drink last night..I knew what I meant 😛

re:  the UI, what Autodesk does have is the ability to change the UI colors, text input boxes etc, Adobe need to give this feature to it's users.

the flat look is already on the retreat on many websites, while it was very popular for a while.
I so hope you are right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Adobe needs to revert to the old UI ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate