• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Not detecting older GPU's

Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a AMD HD8490 GPU and installed Photoshop version 21.2 and the GPU is not been detected, I'm not alone as I've come across other people with the same issue on the Photoshop community forum.
Reverting back to 21.1.3 fixes the issue
Why does Adobe release updates to fix bugs and then break something else with the same update.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Photoshop's GPU requirements have increased for 22.0. Try the solutions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

If your card is not supported you may need to upgrade your graphics card.

For example @Ged's card is very old and is not supported:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#Unsupportedgraphicscards 

It scores less than 200 on this benchmark: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html 

Mor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020
The engineering team is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 171 Replies 171
171 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you any of you guys that play video games and the game makers said you can't play the games because your graphic card is too old ??? (We are old enough to know that graphic card is too old.  We certainly do not need Adobe to tell us this!) Adobe is terrible. Bad company at that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ phillip_chong_7dmutjwra9pvm: Stamp your feet  VERY hard, and the World will conform to your wishes! Screaming while rolling on the playground is certain to help, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dry up, DG. I knew full well that my cards days were numbered (it's ancient), and have been thinking about replacing it, so that's not the issue. it's two things:

First, Adobe broke the support with a routine update, and couldn't fix it for three more updates. That's pretty sad.

Then, there's the matter of the way this was just sprung on us without any advance notification. As I said, I have already allocated my budget for other things. I am retired, and have to be careful about that.

The past several releases of Photoshop have been bug-ridden train wrecks. They apparently have decided that users will be the Beta testers. I have really lost respect for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also the problem that Adobe don't let us download older versions after a time. So, very soon it'll be either update the hardware or you can't download a compatible version anymore.

And I agree, a prior notification that older hardware wouldn't be supported anymore is essential in good business. But they just left us in the dark about the issue for four months. And they didn't release any official notification about it.

Anyway.. There's also the third option of switching software, which I may do in the future. It's the cheapest one and there are good ones out there, even better than Photoshop depending on what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now is a bad time to push businesses into spending money, because revenue is down in many sectors because of COVID and budgets are tight.

Good point!  I know of at least two design companies with no less than 10 photoshop design stations each who lost a lot of working hours trying to figure out why their Photoshops almost came to a standstill. Not all PS users at IT techies. After spending money on tech support, they all had to revert to older versions.  Who pays for the lost productivity?  The technician's callout fees etc. etc.

It is my explicit opinion that Adobe is  seriously negligent with regards to quality control and completely oblivious to their responsibility towards their customers.

Their lack of engagement in this particular thread, as with many others, sufficiently proves the point in combination with the growing lists of hundreds of ongoing fixes being applied and for which it is arrogantly assumed that we would be content with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, about a month ago PS22.0 was introduced and in spite of Adobe apparently admitting to be working on resolving the issue reported in this thread, it was evident that it was not fixed (many new versions later).

Now version 22.1 has been released - can anyone confirm whether this has now been resolved because it really seems like Adobe has either forgotten about this rather important mess they have created or they are deliberate in their actions and have decided to ignore it completely leaving thousands of customer stranded without and option to upgrade PS without expensive hardware upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems most odd that they have just given up on this. On a subscription model, breaking the software and then expecting people to keep on pay seems crazy. I've started to look for something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Serif Affinity publisher and it works great. It's one time payment only. So I suppose their photo program is fine too

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been moving my smaller projects to Serif Affinity Photo for the last 4 months while I'm still learning all the features. They have come a great way in slowly becoming a good competitor to Photoshop and can probably already scoop up quite a large market segment who do not use super advanced Photoshop exclusive features.

Like I said in a different thread, the only reason why Adobe is treating us like this is because of the absence of a competitor.  I gladly paid Serif for their software and am as happy as a little pig an a pool of fresh mud.

I'm currently carefully taking stock of all the Photoshop features I really need and finding their equivalents in Serif Affinity Photo.  The amount of YouTube videos is also rising steadily and are of relatively good quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 22.0.1 still not working. I think Adobe give up on this. Sad.  There are other photo editor programs to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some success, might be worth trying the latest Nvidia driver for your card.

I was right back on photoshop 20.0.10 as that is all I could get to work reliably with my GPU (Quadro RTX 4000 that would stop being recognised after using preserve detail to resize an image)

I updated my NVIDIA driver (clean install) to the latest one for my card, and it was horrible, artefacts and the image just disappearing when using refine edge in select and mask. It was so bad I thought the GPU was dead.

But before reinstalling the older NVIDIA driver I thought Id try the latest version of Photoshop at the time 22.0 (I didn't  migrate the Photoshop preferences from the old version to new), and it all works as it should, finally!. Only been 5 months to get a brand new PC to run smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

So I can confirm that I just updated to the new 22.0.0 version (Adobe Photoshop 2021) and now my GTX 960 GPU is being detected along with all the advanced features like scrubby zoom, opencl, lighting effects, etc. working properly.

Seems like Neural Filters and Sky Replacement are not the only great things in PS 2021, they actually fixed some older issues like this too

PS: I can only speak for Windows 10. Not sure if anyone still facing this with Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zain_PSThe  The 22.0.0 is not compatible with Windows 7 anymore 😕 

Nice move Adobe. You got rid of the problem to solve the issue for the graphics cards for the Windows 7 users. Congratulations!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that might explain why the ctrl+option+command doesn’t work for me since I upgraded to 22.0.1. Except the preferences show the GPU being on -maybe there’s a disconnect somewhere? 
MacBook Pro 15” (2016) ATI Radeon 460 4gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly, Adobe got the problem fixed, but also got everyone on board for Windows 10. Thankfully it was easier than getting a new GPU which would've costed so much.

Well, guess everyone is finding ways to push off windows 7. Sooner or later, we gotta make the move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's done. With 22.0.0 (PS 2021) older GPUs getting detected but only on Windows 10. Just tried it few days back and its alright now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows 7 PS 22 will not rise, alas. Unfortunately, the era of Windows 7 for Adobe is over. As soon as I switched to Window 10, the GPU identified by PS - now all functions work

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem. I have Photoshop 22.0.1 and it is not recognizing the AMD HD5450 graphics card 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*esteewhitephotos

An Adobe representative on this thread indicated that Adobe was looking into the problem to have it fixed. In light of Adobe's clear disinterest in addressing this issue and rendering the value of said representative worthless, sadly your options are as follows:

1. Have your graphics card replaced.
  2. Revert back to Photoshop version 21.1.3 or older and stop paying Adobe for upgrades you will never be able to use.
  3. Migrate to a software alternatives like  Serif Affinity Photo (https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/) which has much better prospects.
  4. Or just turn the other cheek and take it.

Adobe is clearly abusing their position as the market leader in this field to cherry pick what they break, fix or totally destroy without a care in the world about how it affects the customer base who bestowed this power onto them.

Just a pity modern consumers do not recognize the power they have and start boycotting corporate abusers in general with no exception to Adobe.

I've been silently resisting this kind of crap for years - now not so silent anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very well said!

And they continue this behavior with the 22.0.1 version too 😕

Unfortunately as a 20+ years photoshop user at the age of 56 it's hard to leave PS for alternative apps.

Photoshop has been in my workflow for such a long time.

Can't afford it as an employed product photographer to fumble around with another software to learn it, while my boss wants results asap.

So I guess, I'll have to choose option 4.

So sad 😞

Cheerz

Goyko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@goyko_kleensang : In the long run, upgrading in order to have access to future new features makes sense to me. On Black Friday I ordered a new machine from HP online. It took all day because they were so swamped that the order page kept crashing on line; however, each time it did so, and I had to reenter all of my specifications, the price had dropped again! I saved an additional amount that made my day worth it.  My PC really did need to be updated. My computer has an i7 but it is Generation 3; the new one will have a Generation 10 i7. My GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GT640. the new one is GTX 1660,my existing power supply is 350W and the new will be 750W. I would have selectively replaced parts, but it turned out that would mean replacing everything anyway.

FWIW that Option (4) can give you whiplash if done often enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Just had a chat with an Adobe representative concerning the exact same problem (PS 22.1.0 not detecting AMD Radeon Vega II). With 21.2.4 everything worked.

I am 58 years old working with Adobe since the early days.

The Adobe representative treated me not nicely (trying to stay polite).

It is not the first time Adobe does not accept a bug and all of a sudden there will be an update (I remember a huge problem with AE and they solved it without being sorry for all the problems.

Especially the Adobe representative sees me as too small. He asked, why my problem as a single user would be important compared to companies having many seats.

Regards,

Uli

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem with

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.4 20200922.r.323 2020/09/22: 8e8e91e8543  x64

and Quadro M5000.

Quadro M5000 not recognized but i can click on use GPU. But except for Basic Normal and advanced Tab and Guidlines & 30 Bit Display everything else is greyed out.

With CS6 on the same machine it works.

best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marc, I'd start your own thread, paste all your system info from photoshop help. We are all on Adobe's naughty step in this thread, and a thread of your own might get some attention from the Adobe employees. There are a few other threads about GPU problems that they seem quite active on.

Have you tried a chat with adobe support ?, the got my Quadro going briefly by resetting the GPU driver, not sure how they did that though.

A clean install of NVIDIA driver 452.47 and then installing Photoshop 22.0 without keeping the preferences seems to have solved my issue more permanently.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated the lastest version (22.1) and its now detecting my graphics card (AMD HD 7650A) for the first time, I had been doing the bulk of my work on version 21.1.3, which was the last version to detect my card,  and using the new version sporadically without checking the use graphics processor box, which was ok but noticeable. Really happy, I was resigned that my card was probably too old and would be no longer supported so I'm elated that it's now working 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate