• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Not detecting older GPU's

Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a AMD HD8490 GPU and installed Photoshop version 21.2 and the GPU is not been detected, I'm not alone as I've come across other people with the same issue on the Photoshop community forum.
Reverting back to 21.1.3 fixes the issue
Why does Adobe release updates to fix bugs and then break something else with the same update.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Photoshop's GPU requirements have increased for 22.0. Try the solutions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

If your card is not supported you may need to upgrade your graphics card.

For example @Ged's card is very old and is not supported:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#Unsupportedgraphicscards 

It scores less than 200 on this benchmark: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html 

Mor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020
The engineering team is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 171 Replies 171
171 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved it for myself by reverting back to 21.1.3 after reading about it in another thread a few minutes ago because I was still having issues with my GTX 960 GPU not being detected and advanced features grayed out (scrubby zoom, opencl, lighting effects, etc.) while it was alright a few months ago. So that means no fix yet, lets see!

For now, 21.1.3 is working superfast with all the advanced features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should eventually fix this issue and clearly communicate it to their users.

I was told, that it was considered a bug transfered to india to the developers team and I even got the subscription three months for free because of that.

Since then there have been 2 Versions released and it still doesn't work?!

Still reverting back to 21.1.3 to keep things working 😕

What has happened to the Adobe support/tech team?

Any chances, the good quality of Adobe products (Photoshop, Lightroom Classic) will come back to life?

Would be great. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

does anyone know wether the 21.2.4 does solve the issues regarding the GPUs?

Cheerz

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just discovered I have this issue, My card is an AMD Radeon HD 7650A, I have uninstalled the current version, and now trying to find a previous one that will recognise it. Hope this gets sorted soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my system, it did not solve the issues. Back to 21.1.3 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it did not for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that unbelievable?

3 Updates already and no fix, though it's a confirmed bug!

I used to LOVE Photoshop for more than 2 decades, but nowadays I totally loose it 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really very disappointing - surely having a large segment of your market blocked from upgrading and enjoying benefits for which money has been exchanged should be considered important. 

I'll remain on PS2019 even though I would really have appreciated using the new split warp feature and being able to adjust brush angles with a keyboard shortcut.

Reverting back to PS 21.1.3 is not a solution, that version in itself is horribly flawed and on my PC crashes a lot. 

In actual fact looking over the changelogs indicated just how scary all the crap is that is hidden from us.  

Racing a half baked update to market which should really still be in Beta is a clear indication of just how money driven Adobe is - something that usually does not co-exist well with sincere customer care...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have changed their FAQ for GPU's

"If your graphics card is older than 4 years, GPU functionality in Photoshop may be limited or not supported."

So going forward anyone with an older GPU will need to upgrade their cards in order to be able to use Photoshop version 21.2 and above.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

They have even removed the list of supported cards for some odd reason.

According to Adobe's GPU minimum system requirements

nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 or equivalent; nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 or Quadro T1000 is recommended

The GTX1050 was released in 2016, which makes it 4 years old, so next year that card will be among the many unsupported GPU's

Seems Adobe couldn't be bothered to address the issues with older GPU's

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ged_traynor SO my nvidia GTX 1070 is officially supported but still does not work. ABout time they fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this issue over 4 months now and Adobe have still not addressed it, so I wouldn't get you hopes up, a new release of Photoshop is just around the corner and I can't see Adobe fixing the issue with version 21.2 and above.

It will be interesting to see if there are even more issues relating to GPU's in the next version, you can count on it been as buggy as hell, Adobe seem to release beta versions to the public these days, quality testing before release seems a thing of the past unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received this last Friday from support..

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. We currently have an ongoing issue in Photoshop where the application is not able to detect some older graphics cards. Our developers are investigating the issue and working on a fix.

Please check: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-212-not-detecting-older-gpus/5f5f46...

You can add your vote to the thread and follow it for information on updates related to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would have been nice to have a bit more official input from Adobe on this thread. A simple update like ralphyboy2 received  above would have much appreciated. The other thread I'm following on here for the wacom/windows ink problems has had several updates from Adobe employees. The problem becomes even more infuriating when you as a customer think you are being ignored or getting no feed back on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are four months later. And the software we are all paying for can't use the perfectly adequate computers we have. What a crap way to do business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Photoshop 22.0.0 is just out (about a day ago or so) and from the release notes (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues) there is no mention about fixes for the lack of GPU support as hoped for.

Apparently it was more important for the Adobe to spend time on developing a feature to replace clouds or something in a photo...yipee!

This list of crap that was broken is probably the longest one ever - it really is scary to see just how broken Photoshop really is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sad indeed!  Adobe is not good.  I am waiting for this update to the graphic cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are often glitches in Photoshop if you constantly update it. Then the developers themselves are looking for sources of their failures. As a result, for the last year  I will not update my version of Photoshop in the last year, and all work on the https://justdomyhomework.com/blog/how-to-write-case-study is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop's GPU requirements have increased for 22.0. Try the solutions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

If your card is not supported you may need to upgrade your graphics card.

For example @Ged's card is very old and is not supported:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#Unsupportedgraphicscards 

It scores less than 200 on this benchmark: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html 

More modern cards that have been released in the past year or two that score in the 2000s and 3000s can be had for $100-$150 (see the same link above)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my budget is already allocated for a new monitor and some lenses, so I'll just muddle through using the crippled new version to learn it [if there's anything new I can learn without GPU support for my card], or an older version to actually get some work done.

You could at least have put a "Legacy 21.1.3 Mode" in the prefs.

[ EDIT ]:

And it seems I have to disable the undetected GPU to work around the "Program Error"  bug. Huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry My Quadro RTX4000 (Release date November 2018) has issues running a monitor in 30 bit mode. It gets detected at program launch but as soon as you resize the image using preserve details it ceases to be recognised. So I lose scrubby zoom and other GPU accelerated features.

So I dont think the issue is just related to older graphics cards.

I contacted Nvidia support and they pointed the finger at Adobe. With every other program the GPU works fine.

Currently Im back on Photoshop version 20.0.10 to be able to be to use preserve detail and scrubby zoom.

Your tech support got it going for a while by resetting the driver, but as soon as I upgrade Photoshop the problem comes back. 

Ironically I paid the extra for the Quadro card as I though it would be the reliable option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New card can be bought for $100-$150?  Sure.  But why can't we decide what hardware we want to use?  Even if it is slow, we are OK with it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to draw the line somewhere. We don't support PPC Macs or Windows XP either - at some point old technology can no longer be supported in order for us to support new OSes and hardware standards. If new hardware isn't in the cards, the options are disable GPU or use the prior version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry But you broke a Photoshop version through a minor update. And don't seem to be showing any interest in fixing it. My Nvidia GTX 1070 is still supposed to be supported but no longer works.

So, I don't beileve the issue is "old" hardware. Please fix it. Pretty please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that a lot of us are using work computers where we have no control over updating. I use an HP EliteOne 800 with (apparently) an older, mostly worthless video card. It isn't replaceable so my employer would have to buy me a new computer. Right now is a bad time to push businesses into spending money, because revenue is down in many sectors because of COVID and budgets are tight.

I'm able to use Photoshop 22 but without graphics acceleration and I'm still seeing what the performance hit is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry Unfortunately it does not seem something planned from Adobe even because the graphic card compatibility statement has been changed a long time after the problem arises. Furthermore is not clear what makes a card compatible and what not. The sentence "If your graphics card is older than 4 years, GPU functionality in Photoshop may be limited or not supported."  from a technical point of view doesn't mean anything. From a professional software vendor, I was expecting a professional compatibility statement with a list of functionalities features the GPU has to have not a generic "older than 4 years may be limited".

Votes

Translate

Translate