Exit

P: Object Selection very slow response Photoshop 23.5

Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current latest PS version is 23.5

And Object Selection is really slow.

It wasn't like this until the early version of PS 2022, but it's getting slower and at 23.5, it's really weirdly slow.

I thought there might be a speed difference between turning on and off the option, so I compared it, but the results were the same.

Precise previews for 16bit document on/off

Native canvas on/off

Multithread compositing on/off

Use Graphic Processor on/off

Image Processing- Select Subject(Device , Cloud) : I don't know if this affects object selection, but I tried changing options.

The size of the test image below is really small. 1000px x 667px (sRGB, 8bit document)

The reason why I tested it with a small image was because I thought it was because of the large image and the number of layers.

But if you look at the gif image below, you can see a huge difference in loading and speed

This is Photoshop 23.5's object selection.

23_5 16on.gif

Even though the end is cut to meet the gif capacity, the loading time in front is long. Once again, the test image is very small.

And Now this is Photoshop 21.0.3's object selection. you can check this...

PS 21.0.3 object selectionPS 21.0.3 object selection

Can you see the difference? It's a big difference.

This is the difference in speed that appears even though the image used in the test is really small.
In the actual working image (6000x8000px), there is a loading as if the computer had stopped a little bit.
It's the same if you try to select a very small, very simple part of a real image, not a lot of it.

This needs to be improved Speed or delay. In fact, the masking quality of those two images was almost the same.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

This should be fixed in Photoshop 2023 (version 24.0)

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 184 Replies 184
184 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry too much. Eventually, this object selection tool will be fixed someday.
I have handwritten my own experiences of bugs using Adobe Photoshop for many years.
And I think it's worth rethinking the direction you can choose for things like this thread's bug.
Photoshop has a lot of new features, resulting in many unintended bugs. It can't be perfect.
So I experiment with my own work, search on the Internet, and deal with various bugs. (I'm retouch Beauty and Product Shots. So i don't know abut Design or Painting)

When choosing the Photoshop version, the most important thing to think about is "what tools do you use a lot" or "what features do you need the most?"
There's a lot of content, but I'll give you some examples based on my experience of having problems with photography.

"Object Selection tool"
This function is new in 2020, and there are three versions you can choose from each year.(2020/2021/2022)
The object selection tool of 2022 had a lot of crashes and bugs, and it is currently in progress.
So, if you need function(Such as Object Selection tool), you have to choose 2020 or 2021.
But it's not simple.
2021 is a version with a lot of crash reports on select and mask, and overall Photoshop workflow is very slow. Heavy version.
It's also even more of a problem if you're someone who frequently zoom in or out on Liquify.(Zoom delay fixed 23.4.1=2022PS)
So... You can only choose 2020 instead of 2021.
But it's not simple either. There are many builds in the 2020 Photoshop. And if you're a Windows 10 user and you're using a 125% window magnification, all versions after 21.0.3 have bugs. The layer or layer mask is not displayed properly (that bug will be fixed in 2021).
So if you write 2020, the best version is 21.0.3.
In this way, you should choose the version based on what you need or don't need. But in the case just now, it's something that can be solved simply by rolling back a version between one and two years, but there are things that aren't.

For example, when you use the keyboard to adjust the size of the brush (press [,]), the bug that does not change the size of the brush in real time is very old (starting with Photoshop in 2017). (And this fixed 23.1.1)
However, we know that there are many defects in Photoshop 2022, and we chose 2020.
So if you want the brush size animation to work properly, you should give up the object selection tool and roll back to the previous version(at least PS2015.5) or endure the brush size bug and just use Photoshop 2020.

Just a few examples, but many versions are intertwined. And as the example above, you have to think about what "you need" and "the tools you use often" are, and choose the best of them.
I personally wrote and kept the pros and cons of all builds since PS2014, but there is no perfect version.
The perfect version I'm talking about is the version where I can use all the functions normally and do what I want without any problems.
If you get a function, you definitely need to sacrifice in other areas.

Of course you can say this. "We're a monthly customer, why do we have to make sacrifices by recording and reporting the pros and cons and bugs ourselves, not even beta testers?"

But the contents of it are the same as above.
The program cannot be perfect. So the best solution is to sort out what you need, choose it, and compromise to some extent with the bugs in the selected version. This is the conclusion that I have come to while using Photoshop for the past decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vote, too. This is one of the things that makes me feel very uncomfortable. The reason for using the object selection tool seems to have disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Magic Wand or Quick Selection tool for select something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yi25843727n4bk  Your words don't help. Most people in this community know what they want, what tools they need for it, and how to use it.
As you say, you can create a selection area with the quick selection tool or the magic wand without the object selection tool. And even without it, you can make a layer mask yourself with a brush. You can make a path with a pen tool even if the brush is not working. But that's not what we're talking about.
But it's far from what we're talking about. Photoshop tools should work whether we use them often or not.

And the exact fact is that from the beginning of Photoshop 2022, until 23.5, we couldn't actually use it because of the crash. This is the same for select subjects, and all the tools involved in selection have crashed.
And in the current version (23.5) we're reporting this as a bug, looking at the speed that's significantly lower than the existing object selection tool. Even Adobe employees admit it and are trying to fix it.
It's a space where we all report our opinions and various bugs that have been discovered to have a good heart for Photoshop.
"Why do you use it? Use another tool!" is a disrespectful attitude to the many users of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem take a lot of time to make a selection I have W11 with latest updated GPU drivers,
Your graphics processor is compatible
G OpenGL available
© OpenCL available
© DirectX available
© Above required VRAM (8400 MB of 1500 MB required)
GPU Detected: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (NVIDIA)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two desktops.
Ryzen 5900x / ram 64g / rtx3080 Window10
Intel 12700k / ram 32g / rtx3070 Window11
Both PCs are the latest gpu drivers, and PS23.5 confirmed that unwanted loading occurred in the object selection tool like a body thread.
I usually take a picture of a T-shirt or pants in a solid color background and used the object selection tool a lot to modify it. However, it shows a difficult speed to use compared to 2021 and 2020.
Please fix it quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any update releases for slow and broken object selection tools? Is it something I can't find?
I refresh every day on Adobe Creative Cloud, but 23.5 remains the same...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel uncomfortable using object tool select. The current tool has a long load that is too unnecessary every time you try it...
I'm window10 21h2 user. And CPU is in intel 12700, GPU 3070nvdia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The funny thing is that when I first experienced the delay of the object selection tool, I thought it was a problem or issue with my computer.
But that didn't make any sense. My computer is the highest-end CPU and GPU in the market.
So I put all the power limits on it, turned off the turbo boost and tried again so that only the eco-mode + base clock would work.
And interestingly, the delay remained the same. If it had to depend on the specifications of the computer, it should have been slower because it only works with the base clock.
So I knew that my friend used 7500 intel cpu, so I went to his house, asked for his understanding, and turned on Photoshop and tested it.
And I came to a really fascinating conclusion. It was just like my computer.

I was convinced that the loading (or delay) of this tool was beyond the scope of user improvement.

It's a bug that's hard to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not seem to make good use of GPU or CPU resources.
Something is wrong with the current object selection tool..........It is too slow to use for actual work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vote! it muse to be fix as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This embarrasses me. Why does that loading happen every time?
If you try and select the object selection tool, and you are not satisfied with it and try to select a part by pressing alt again, it will load again...
I'm trying to choose something, but it takes more than 30 seconds including the waiting loading.
This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a current known issue to mitigate crashes for users with Nvidia graphics cards. The development team is actively working with Nvidia to provide crash fixes and improve slowness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are really struggling with the speed, you could switch back to Ps 23.4, if the other updates are less important for you. Nvidia driver has a bug that is causing PS to crash while using the Object Selection Tool and Select Subject so we moved the processing to CPU in order to reduce the number of crashes while Nvidia tries to fix the bug. Again we are actively working on this to improve the situation. Thank You for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be fixed quickly.
And @Yukie Takahashi  23.4 is broken version as i know. 23.4 version creates a data loss (serious damage) in the image.
We can use an earlier version, such as 23.4.1 or 23.4.2 or 23.3.2, but cannot even press the W key at all. Photoshop crashes as soon as you press w.

From 23.0.2 to 23.4.2, object selection tool and select subject were rarely used. Because of the crash,
At 23.5, less crashes (still occurs), but at a difficult level of processing speed.
So I understand your intention to recommend a rollback, but the rollback within the 2022 version is an extension of the contents of this thread, which is meaningless.
If you are going to roll back, you have to roll back to 2021 or 2020. 2022 is not available due to crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Yukie Takahashi Could you kindly clarify if this is an issue with any and all Nvidia graphics cards, so we can better advise users? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Yukie Takahashi  Then do we have to wait for the new NVIDIA graphics driver to be released? Or do I have to wait for the photoshop release?
In addition to the problem related to this object selection tool, there are currently bugs reported that the scrubby zoom is not working or the GPU is used a little bit.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know the approximate date of the next release. I'm just tired of checking for updates every day and checking for new solutions in the Adobe community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm experiencing up to now for me, and everyone.

First of all, Nvidia graphics and photoshop seem to be the cause of bugs in the last two or three weeks, not just this thread right now.
It is said that it has been changed to CPU processing to mitigate the crash of the object selection tool and the select subject, but the crash still occurs.
It is slow like the gif I attached to the text, or it causes a crash (I sent the crash report 7 times today as well).
I think it's very unstable now.... Since I have a habit of saving frequently, I can run Photoshop again even if there is a crash. I can't trust Photoshop to work on it... =
Even the setting folder was manually reset 7 times today... lol

I thought it little fix crash from version 23.5, but it wasn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started subscribing to the fast speed and accuracy of object selection and select subject in 2022, but I am not satisfied. Crash or too slow...It's too far from what I saw in the commercial.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet fixed. NVIDIA drivers have not been released since 516.94..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had seen this article earlier, but I thought my photoshop got weird, so I reinstalled Photoshop 3 times and Reinstall WindowsOS.................
Then, is there any Build realease that can use the object selection tool in PS2022?
Except for 23.5, they couldn't use it at all because of the crash..............Should I use 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although 2022 has been used since October last year, it seems that it has rarely been successful using the Object Selection tool.
It crashes and the photoshop goes off, or it's slow to pick........

2022.png

In this way, the official release page also contains a large number of content related to the Object selection tool. But I'm scared to use it, or I'm slow to crash.......
I've experienced everything from the early version of 2022 to the current 23.5, but I don't think there's a version that gives me a satisfactory experience......................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to reinstall 23.4.2 to get the Qbject selections tool to work, in version 23.5 did Photoshop kill Behance Stream as fast I try to select with Object selections tool selection overlay will not work at all so my recomendation is waith to next version and don't install Version 23.5 this version is full with bugs..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kajrov  Rollback is also a good idea.
But... From 23.0.2 to 23.4.2, there is a crash bug for the Select Subejct and the Object Selection tool. (Just by pressing "W")
Of course, the 23.5 degree crash is not fundamentally resolved. The Adobe staff at the top replied.
There was a conflict between NVIDIA GPU and object selection, so the CPU temporarily took action to process the function in the GPU.

So... If you can rollback, I recommend you rollback to 2021 or 2020 version, not just the previous version.
Frequent crashes have been too dangerous for me (I've experienced 2022 crashes this year and I press Ctrl+S every 10 seconds). I got into the habit of saving things very often. And that habit saved me from the crash.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very uncomfortable, unsatisfactory tool speed

Votes

Translate

Translate