Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Option key not working in/with Gradient Tool

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Ventura 13.01

While using Gradient Tool the OPTION key doesn't sample colors like the eye dropper anymore.

Using the previous version of PSD on the same computer works fine

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
102 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eyedropper tool with gradient tool [alt keyboard] don't work in Photoshop 24.1.0 20221206.r.166  !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TomaszONLY sorry to hear this.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed a bug, it was reported in another post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-option-key-not-working-in-with-gradient-to...) and internally through prerelease. Resetting preferences isn't the fix. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to photoshop version 24.1 but discovered that the colour picker does not work anymore in the gradient tool. I used to press option (alt) and the colour picker would show in the gradient tool. It does not anymore. In addition, the gradient tool behaves an odd way. It does not create gradients but hard seperation. I also notice that if I click on the drop down tool preset picker (the small icon next to the home icon, top left under the menu, it says "circular rainbow" even if i change the type of gradient tool.
Anyone experiencing this issue? Any fix to that?

Thanks

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue. The eyedropper no longer works in the gradient tool. When clicking on the option key, it used to open the eyedropper. Also updated to 24.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I do see the Opt/Gradient Tool bug on my end now. A post reported it as the Move and Marquee Tools where the Opt-Color Picker isn't supposed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks! Normally while using the gradient tool I can hit the option key to bring up the eyedropper and select a color. In this latest upgrade it seems to have disappeared. Still works with the bucket tool and the brush tool, but alas, gradient is left out. I’m using a slightly slower workaround and it's driving me nuts. Is there a way I can fix this myself? I don’t believe I can change a sub-tool option in ‘keyboard shortcuts.’ But maybe I’m wrong. 

Thanks for any suggestions or help, 

Best, Ian

Mac OS 12.6
PS 24.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for leading me to this previous thread! I will wait patiently while the issue is fixed (and in the meantime hold down "I" to get the eyedropper.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best workaround is to downgrade photoshop 24.1 to version 24 and it will work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not be able to use the OPTION key sample colors like the eye dropper, but you can still assign a foreground and background color the old fashion way for the gradient.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a neat tip, thank you! Will suffice while waiting for the bug fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since a few days I have an issue with the gradient tool: I used to set a color by option-clicking (or alt-clicking in windows) on some color on the image. This would set the foreground color of my gradient.

Now when i press the option key i don't see the color picker and i can't pick the color.

This issue seems to affect only the gradient tool, if i'm using brush tool i can pick a color just by opt-clicking as before.

Any suggestion on how to fix this as it was before? thanks in advance

(I'm working on PS 24.1.0 on MacOS 12.6 M1 Max MBP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Have you reset the Tool yet? 

If that does not help you could try to restore Photoshop’s preferences altogether (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. Windows 10, ver 27.1.0. 
It was working fine for my manager in 27.0.1 and he's just updated to 27.1.0 and it's now not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.1.0 / 24.0.1 sorry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, i tried both to reset the Gradient Tool and to restore Photosop preferences, but it didn't work and I still have the issue.

I post a screenshot where I was trying to pick the red as gradient color by opt-clicking (you can't see the mouse in the screenshot sorry but it's the standard gradient cursor and not the color picker as before)

Schermata 2023-01-03 alle 13.05.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, I can reproduce it on 24.1.0; seems to be a reported issue, please add your vote here: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-option-key-not-working-in-with-gradient-to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I didn't see that topic

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me nuts!! Please help!!

Like many Photoshop users (on Windows), I use the "Alt" modifier to quickly access the Eyedropper when using the Brush tool. However, for probably a decade plus I've been also using this same shortcut to color-pick while using the Gradient tool. I do this so I can add a bit of smooth shading here and there in a piece. Please see an example below of the issue I'm experiencing. 

bug.jpg

I made sure my Photoshop CC, Windows 11 and Wacom tablet were up to date. I've tried this with my wacom and also with only a mouse. I reset my Photoshop preferences and keyboard shortcuts.   

I understand that I can use "I" as a shortcut for the eyedropper tool, however, I could give you a million reasons why I hate using "I". I've been using "Alt" for many, many years, and I'm desperate to get this feature working again!

If you have any idea what may be causing this, if it's a bug or if there is any kind of work around, please let me know!! It's very fustrating for my work flow 😞
Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JitenshaSW_0-1672847076374.png

Here's a screenshot of my Gradient Tool options. I've played around with every option here and still get this issue, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share. I've also reset the tool under the Gradient tool's settings (cog icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a change that was made purposly. In the newest Photoshop (24.1) I can no longer use the eyedropper tool by holding alt/option while using the gradient tool. I use that shortcut a lot while painting images. It is nice to quickly grap a color with the eyedropper holding option without having to switch tools entirely. The option/eyedropper shortcut still works with the brush and fill tools though.

Is this a bug or is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

I downloaded and installed 23.5.3 to confirm that I used to be able to do this, and the shortcut works fine in 23.5.3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a known bug, please add your vote to the Bug Report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I see that now. Glad I wasnt imagining things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of this bug is in 24.0.1 or is it only in 24.1? I have slow internet in my office and wanted to know if it was worth trying to download 24.0.1 now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate