Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tablet & Windows Ink

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody.

With the latest Photoshop update (21.2.2), the fix we had  to get the pressure sensitivity back with the PSUserConfig.txt fix is no longer working.

This fix was necessary to work properly with a Pen Stylus on Windows, without using the Windows Ink features.

We are used to turn of  Windows Ink systematicaly when using a Pen Tablet because it causes a lot of issues. (Wacom and other brands)

Why Windows Ink is not suitable 

Windows Ink ON :

1-There is a 1 second delay with every new clic and drag before the cursor catches up with the stylus. It happens when dragging a window, using a slider to adjust a value (in photoshop or any other app), resizing a layer, and even when drawing. So the begining of each new stroke will freeze for 1 sec before catching up to the movement of the stylus. You can imagine the hell it can be when hatching, or doing fast repetitive movements/adjustements.

2-Certain applications, like Chrome for exemple, don't respond to the stylus for certain things. You can't move the chrome window around at all when windows ink is enabled. You can't drag and drop email in your inbox from one tab to another, some clics and double clics aren't registered at all ...etc.

3-Windows Pen & Stylus fonctionnalites are working against a fluid use of a Stylus. Especially the infamous "Press and hold" setting, that needs to be disabled systematically if you don't want this "mouse freezing blue circle of death" to appear each time you stop moving your hand for more than half of a second. (I suspect this functionnality to be responsible for the lag before each new stroke, even when you have it turned off)

4-Just while typing this post, I've discoverd a new issue. With Windows Ink enabled, it is impossible to select text by dragging over it with the stylus. I had to drop it and use my mouse each time I wanted to edit a sentence.

Windows Ink OFF:

1-Everything works perfectly.

2-Pressure sensitivity in Photoshop is gone, and need to be reactivated with PSUserConfig.

These are all the reasons (I can think of right now) why we have no choice but to disable Windows Ink, and use the WinTab alternative to get the pressure sensitivity back in Photoshop.

I hope you now understand why enabling Windows Ink is not a solution.

We had a solution, please do not take it away from us.

I'm assuming that everyone would love to use regular settings, and not to have to tamper with this kind of work around, but unfortunatly that is not possible.

Again, using WinTab is not a choice, it is essential for any serious workflow.

I'm currently paying for the full Adobe suite, and not being able to work properly is a big issue right now. Not knowing when this will be resolved is very worrisome.

PS: "Windows Ink" or "Pen and Touch" drivers on Windows, are currently pushing for touch and tablet functionnalities. These are cumbersome and unfit for any professional Stylus use.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020
Hi all,

We've made some updates to this issue in the Photoshop 21.2.3 update and are hoping things are better for those affected here.
Can you give it a go and let us know how it goes for you?

To update Photoshop to 21.2.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
104 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Ink is a unstable thing, and it is broken on many levels. It was never intended for a professionnal use.
It is only an attempt to support touch features natively in Windows for Tablet users.

Even on Microsoft's own hardwares, like a surface 7, the pen support is really not great. It feels more like a gimmic to attract consummers, than a real pro feature.

Even if, someday, Adobe manages to perfectly integrate Windows Ink into photoshop and fix all of the problems , Windows Ink will stay broken in every others applications we are using on our computer. The problem will remain intact.

All in all, I wich Adobe will stay away from Windows Ink forever. It is not a serious alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Pen as mouse setting does not help  Clone Stamp Brush tracking works with my mouse it does not work with my Pen.

Un-check Show visual effects and show cursors doe nor stop Windows from showing Alt Ctrl Shift Win when the pen is near the tablet Windows Pen Feedback ???
Microsoft Pen do not have keyboard keys.  You do not show the when I use my mouse do not show the when I use my pen
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows INK is not good enough but I've been forced to use it. Until even that didn't work.

I installed the latest PS update yesterday (21.2.2) and surprise surprise, nothing but issues. No pen pressure, crashing on file open, ,slow, freezing . I reinstall everything twice including drivers...no change. A day later after constant crashes and loss of pen pressure, I realize the cause. Uninstall latest version, then install the oldest version in the cloud (20.0.10). finally back to work... thanks for nothing Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on fixing this.  Really sorry for the breakage of this in 21.2.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chad. I think I speak for everyone when I say we look forward to a solution for this. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That good news. Thank's Chad.
I'll hope that a solution will found soon.
My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ! I hope we'll get an update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chad, thank you for your answer.

I get why Adobe want's to move forward from WinTab, but Windows Ink is not the solution you should rely on really. It's breaking to many things inside and outside of Adobe products and other professionals applications for Pen Tablet users.

I'm reading a lot about Wacom users, but it is true for every other brand out there.
I know entire studios equiped with dozens of Huion's pen display tablets for their artists.
I'm also using one right now, and all of the issues are alike.
(also, Huion driver doesn't allow to customize settings per app, so windows ink is either ON for everything, or OFF for everthing)
Nobody wants to be slowed down and bugged by all of the infuriating "features" of windows ink during their work hours.

Thank you for hearing us, looking forward for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Chad, I am looking forward to it.

I have re-installed 21.2.0 and I am waiting for a fix for this before updating further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now run into a scrubby zoom and alt+rmb lag with my new Huion Kamvas 22 Plus. The lag disappears with Windows Ink on, but using Windows Ink is arguably more frustrating than the 1 second lag I get with Windows Ink disabled.

I wasn't running into the scrubby zoom/alt RMB lag on my Wacom Cintiq 16 oddly enough, but I was running into all of the other issues associated with Windows Ink Alt, Ctrl, Shift silly tool tips, among most things listed in this thread.

I ended up reverting to 21.2.1 and using the PSUserConfig which fixed the issues with my Wacom devices. 

Now it seems I'm encountering an entirely new set of problems with my Huion Kamvas 22 and Photoshop. It's pretty much brought my work to a screeching halt and sucked my life force.

I'm now trying to decide which is the lesser of two evils, Windows Ink or the 1 second lag when scrubby zooming and alt+RMB, which I do obsessively. Let the good times roll....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chad,

Thank you for getting us an answer.
I looking forward to an actual solution to this issue.
I have never had as many problems with Photoshop as I have had in the last 3 updates.
Possibly Adobe needs a larger testing base before rolling out updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say I have all the same problems.  I had been using PSUserConfig to force my PC to use WinTab, but breaking that workaround has forced Windows Ink, and the host of problems that come with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe going to fix WinTab support, try to get Microsoft to improve  INK  so it is not intrusive and performs well.  Or work with Tablet makers to develop a new improved API for Windows and Mac
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update I've been using Windows Ink and it was not ideal, my workflow got considerable worse, but I was managing it. But since 4 days ago I'm facing a new problem, now from time to time Photoshop won't make brush strokes at all. I have to close the program and open again, and sometimes, I have to restart my computer. My workflow is now ruined, this whole situation is getting unbearable....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't hold breath. The Wacom UK website can't even put the right product images next to the right type of replacement nibs. I spent a day emailing them just to get the right ones.

Let alone sort drivers etc. out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.2 is causing lot's of problems on both my wacom intuos pro as my XP-pen deco pro. Also did a roll-back to version 21.2.1. Not a big deal but what I don't understand Adobe keeps offering the update when it's full of bugs that are extremely important to be able to work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem few people mentionedi, Wacom has a special stylus called the Art Pen, which can detect pen nib rolling. Very useful for adjusting brush direction quickly when painting in photoshop.
But for whatever reason the rotation is registered in photoshop only when windows ink is enabled. Really hope Adobe can provide some form of help too in reguarding to this problem, so the rotation can register without windows ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue feels like being incredibly thirsty stranded in an ocean.

With me the issue is even with having the PsUserConfig, it shows i have pen pressure (seen in the stroke) but the actual stroke doesn't have it. WinInk is unbearable to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack, we're pursuing all of those. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chad, surely "fix WinTab support" is the immediate solution whilst working with MS and / or Wacom et al are longer term?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chad@zewg.com - Is there also a solution in the pipeline regarding PS creating a debug.log text file every time I start it up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the XP-Pen 640 - same issues. the PSUserSettings has worked in the past.
I believe this is 99% compatible with the Wacom tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have bamboo cte-650 and problem with pen pressure too. Сan't work in the latest version of photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad more people are talking about this. When I switched from windows 7 to 10 I was surprised by how bad Windows Ink worked. Having it enabled just to have pressure in photoshop causes so many other functionality problems.

I really hope one of these things happen. Either Photoshop should work fine without Windows Ink and without PSuserconfig.txt or Microsoft should add way more options to the Windows Ink settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you share the link to the forum thread with the most comments then we can all start adding more comments to it. I don't know how much that would help, but at least it might get some attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate